Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recent RNY - How ya doing?

I had RNY on June 4 and I’m feeling pretty good. I still have some pain because I was cut deeper than usual due to a previous surgery in the same area. I am down 41 pounds. And am just taking it one day at a time.

I had RNY on May 14th! Had my 3 month check up 2 days ago and I’m down 62 pounds! I feel great! I do HIIT 3 days a week and cardio the other 4 days! I have more energy than I’ve had in years! I am finally happy when I look in the mirror and I can’t wait to see how far I’ll go!

I had surgery on the 29th July, the first week SUCKED, but I don’t regret a single thing and would go through it all again!

From pre op 2 week LRD up to now, I am 31lbs down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you’ve had gastric bypass in the last few months how are you doing? How much weight have you lost? Any regrets or pleased with your decision to go with the bypass?
I had gastric bypass july 27 and I am doing well. I have lost 21 pounds. I can take in liquids with issues. When I eat food is that I need to take it very slow and chew throughly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had gastric bypass on July 16 (6 weeks yesterday). I've lost 20 pounds since surgery (the rest was before surgery), and I'm disappointed because I'm not losing weight any faster than I was before surgery when I was eating 3-4 times as much. It is easier now because I haven't been hungry since surgery. I am now under 250 pounds, which is my lowest weight since college, and the weight that I have been lying to say I am for years. Now I will have to pick a new lie!

I used to have high blood pressure, and now I'm solidly in the normal range (not even pre-hypertension) with no medications. My A1c went from 8.1 in February to 5.2 last week, also with no medications.

I am discouraged, though, because I have lost more than 90 pounds from my highest weight, but I'm still wearing the same clothes. They're a bit too loose, but not quite to the point of my pants falling down. I can wear a few things now that were too small at my highest weight, but I've only gone down one size, MAYBE two. I didn't get around to taking "before" pictures until I had already lost 40 pounds, but I recently took 1-month post-surgery pictures and I honestly cannot tell a difference between my pictures at 250 pounds and at 300. Even though my butt doesn't look any smaller, I have lost enough padding that sitting is a pain in the @$$ (which I was expecting eventually, but I thought I'd have to lose a lot more weight before I experienced that).

What gives? How could I have lost more than 25% of my body weight without getting much smaller? Am I losing muscle but not fat? I will say I can tell a difference in my face (my phone doesn't even recognize my face half the time now), but that's not much consolation. I don't think any full-body pictures exist from my highest weight since I intentionally avoided cameras, but I got my passport picture taken at my highest weight and then procrastinated so much on sending in the application that I decided to get the picture retaken.

452408485_Passportbeforeafter1.jpg.14d68c4ffbf175c1bb95fe89a033d819.jpg

45 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I had gastric bypass on July 16 (6 weeks yesterday). I've lost 20 pounds since surgery (the rest was before surgery), and I'm disappointed because I'm not losing weight any faster than I was before surgery when I was eating 3-4 times as much. It is easier now because I haven't been hungry since surgery. I am now under 250 pounds, which is my lowest weight since college, and the weight that I have been lying to say I am for years. Now I will have to pick a new lie!

I used to have high blood pressure, and now I'm solidly in the normal range (not even pre-hypertension) with no medications. My A1c went from 8.1 in February to 5.2 last week, also with no medications.

I am discouraged, though, because I have lost more than 90 pounds from my highest weight, but I'm still wearing the same clothes. They're a bit too loose, but not quite to the point of my pants falling down. I can wear a few things now that were too small at my highest weight, but I've only gone down one size, MAYBE two. I didn't get around to taking "before" pictures until I had already lost 40 pounds, but I recently took 1-month post-surgery pictures and I honestly cannot tell a difference between my pictures at 250 pounds and at 300. Even though my butt doesn't look any smaller, I have lost enough padding that sitting is a pain in the @$$ (which I was expecting eventually, but I thought I'd have to lose a lot more weight before I experienced that).

What gives? How could I have lost more than 25% of my body weight without getting much smaller? Am I losing muscle but not fat? I will say I can tell a difference in my face (my phone doesn't even recognize my face half the time now), but that's not much consolation. I don't think any full-body pictures exist from my highest weight since I intentionally avoided cameras, but I got my passport picture taken at my highest weight and then procrastinated so much on sending in the application that I decided to get the picture retaken.

when I started out (at over 300 lbs), I had to lose A LOT of weight before I could go down a size. And others didn't start noticing my weight loss until I'd lost around 70 or 80 lbs. Now, at normal weight, a drop in just 5 or 10 lbs will take me down a size. Just keep at it - the more you lose, the more often you'll start changing sizes.

Edited by catwoman7

5 hours ago, BigSue said:

Congrats on all of the positive changes to your health! Your face is radically narrower with cheek bones and jawline coming out! The big changes in your body shape will follow. Hang in there! You are obviously doing everything right!

I had gastric bypass on 8/25 and really was regretting it in the hospital. My pain was unbelievable. I am home now and doing better but really struggling with the Protein mixes. I would rather just drink Water. I cannot stomach the Protein Drinks or mixes. This worries me. I get to go to full liquid starting on Tuesday and that will help but for now I am just not getting the protein.

Sent from my LM-G820 using BariatricPal mobile app

51 minutes ago, dcontois said:

I had gastric bypass on 8/25 and really was regretting it in the hospital. My pain was unbelievable. I am home now and doing better but really struggling with the Protein mixes. I would rather just drink Water. I cannot stomach the Protein Drinks or mixes. This worries me. I get to go to full liquid starting on Tuesday and that will help but for now I am just not getting the Protein.< br />

Hang in there! The first few days are miserable, but it gets dramatically easier after the first week or two (especially once you get to purees and can start eating things resembling real food). I think the protein and fluid goals are unrealistic for the first week -- everybody has trouble meeting them in the beginning. Have you tried protein Soups or hot chocolate? I found that warm liquids went down easier than cold.

Just had my RNY on 8/28. Repaired hernia as well. No pain. Gas is what bothers me. Had surgery xat mayo hosp. In javkdon

Hiatal hernia and RYN on 8/3 Stayed in hospital 4 nights due to damage to hernia. All good now no pain and walking 5 miles a day. Down 19 lbs. BUT today I have diarrhea TMI sorry and my stomach what’s left of it hurts hoping tomorrow is better

I had gastric bypass on 8/25 and really was regretting it in the hospital. My pain was unbelievable. I am home now and doing better but really struggling with the Protein mixes. I would rather just drink Water. I cannot stomach the protein drinks or mixes. This worries me. I get to go to full liquid starting on Tuesday and that will help but for now I am just not getting the protein.

Everything will get better, take it one day at a time and don't rush. I feel the prepared protein are better. My best one is Quest vanilla.< br>
Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had mine on the 13th, I mean it hurt but u know what ever, I threw up a lot in the hospital, ended up ok staying an extra night. So far I have lost 28 pounds now, that’s after having to lose the Water weight that the IV put on. Protein Shakes taste like crap. I have not had a lot of hair loss... yet. My doctor wants me to take B12 shots but no cap I can’t stab my self in the leg with that long ass needle. Like just NO. My biggest problem is remembering to eat, I’m never hungry. My exercise is my shopping. Idk I’m probably the worst person to give advice on anything, the surgery was worth it, and I would do it again.

5 minutes ago, allison12541 said:

I have not had a lot of hair loss... yet. My doctor wants me to take B12 shots

Hair loss usually doesn't start until around month 3-6, so you've got time!

B12 - many of us are also allowed to take a sublingual tablet (i.e., one that melts under your tongue). See if he'll allow that option rather than the injections (although injections are one of the options, too - but i don't know many people who do those)

Had mine done 8/24 so 6 days post op. I feel good. Healing nicely. Have not felt sick once thank God. Getting my Water in is a struggle. That's prob currently my biggest issue. I was bummed when i got out of the hospital And my weight was up but they pump so much crap in you, its to be expected. My highest weight was 256. I was 236 surgery day and im 232 today. No regrets