Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those in maintenance: Full v not hungry after meal

I've been really lucky in that I haven't had a ton of hunger since surgery. Even now, I may get hungry or I may not.

However, I have also noticed I don't get "full" on 5-6 oz of food (lean meats and veggies). For the most part, I stop eating at that amount and I'm no longer hungry - but again, not full. I realized I don't really know how people who don't have weight problems do this. Before surgery, I would eat until I was stuffed most the time and I'm pretty sure "normal" eaters don't do that. But do they look for a feeling of being full, or just no longer hungry?

For those of you who are out further and in maintenance - do you eat to when you are full? Or do you stop when you are just not hungry anymore?

I don't feel the same "full" feeling I did pre-surgery. Sometimes if I eat too much I start feeling uncomfortable, so I stop (because I know if I don't, I'll probably get sick). And other times, I just don't feel like eating anymore. I guess that might be "not hungry anymore" (????)

I avoid that full feeling. By the time you get that message you’ve really already eaten past being full. I still try to eat slowly all the time just to make sure I know when I’ve had enough & I’ve only eaten the portion I prepared. On the odd occasions I’ve reached that full point, usually because I’ve rushed my eating, I feel very uncomfortable, have some pain, lots of gurgling, etc.

When I near the end of my meal, I’ll often ask myself do I really want or need that next spoonful. In other words working out why I’m eating & if I’m eating just out of habit. Don’t be afraid to put your fork down.

On the days I’m not hungry, I always try to eat the minimum amount to get my basic nutrients in. It’s why Portion Control is important to me.

This is a really good question and thanks for the post and for the helpful replies. My Gastric Bypass Surgery is scheduled for 19th August and I have been thinking about this a lot. I know I will need a different approach to my old - eat till can't eat any more!

I just eat based on what i know i can handle, Unlike some I get full easy and it sucks if you over fill.

I to this day never get hungry, Can go days without eating and never get hungry, I think my doc cut out those nerves.

My view is just eat a good healthy normal portion and enjoy your life.

So I stop when I feel “full”, OR whenever I finish my portion, which ever comes first...though 95% of the time, the “full feeling” comes first.

This feeling of fullness is not the same as pre-surgery however. Instead of the the feeling of space being used up all over my my body, it is now a pressure in a small section of my chest (the more I eat, the stronger the pressure). It’s been a while, but I remember pre-surgery fullness somehow feeling more “satisfying” than this chest-pressure. Which is probably why I don’t care to stuff myself these days and just prefer to have a taste of things.

I also want to note that there are times that I actually feel “stuffed” (when I had one too many bites of something or other, or if I eat too fast). But this stuffed feeling I equate to pain and the only relief is to barf, so I try my best to avoid getting to that point in the first place...

Edited to add: Also, at almost 2 years out (1yr, 10mnths), I do actually feel hungry sometimes...but it doesn’t take much to make the hungry go away)

Edited by ms.sss

Thanks for sharing - it's helpful to hear what others experience.

I rarely get full - I almost always measure 5-6 oz of food and stop when that is gone. I do sometimes just feel done with some of that left though, not really full, just had enough. When I do get full it's because I didn't measure. Even then, I eat slow and chew well and I've never gotten sick or had any issues. Oddly, when I do get full it's a fairly similar sensation to pre-surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches