Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about two weeks post op and was just wondering if it's normal not to have energy. I have some but not 100%. I don't feel like doing housework, I went to a couple stores and I had to sit a few times. When I get my walking in or force myself to do the chores, oh my, do I break a sweat quick! I'm eating broths and Soups right now. I'm drinking every chance I get, take a Protein Shake in the am, Soup for lunch and something blended in the pm. I take my Vitamins and 2 pills, too. I guess I can tell my Dr. tomorrow when I see him. I go back to work in 2.5 weeks, so I hope this gets better. When do we feel back to normal energy wise?

I think it was around week three when I started to get my energy back... my surgery was 6 months ago so it's kinda hard to remember now lol, but I'm pretty sure it was week 3.

I can’t provide insight because I haven’t had my surgery yet but I’m curious about this as well! I hope you gain more energy every day. Nap if you can, that helped tremendously after my hysterectomy! 😃

My surgery was a month ago and I am just starting to feel like myself again. I had to laugh at my fitness tracker one week post op, which reported I had done 15 minutes of "vigorous" exercise when I had tottered down the driveway and back. My normal heart rate of 70 had hit 135 just walking slowly. You are feeling the way you should this close to surgery. I was taking naps most days up until last week, when I think I only took one. So far no naps this week. Just keep moving and your energy will come back. It's also hard because you're not eating many calories and your body has to work harder to change fat into energy.

yes - that's normal. I think it was a couple of months for me - although it kept getting better and better up until the two-month mark...

I’m 10 months out. I didn’t feel like myself until6 weeks.

This is great news! Glad to hear it's normal.

I used to carry around a bottle of diluted hydralite (found it too sweet full strength) to give me little boosts of energy for months after surgery. But 14.5 months out if I don’t keep my fluids up I can still get weak - jelly legs, cold sweats. Felt that way yesterday after I’d been rushing about shopping all morning & had to sit down for a few minutes. For me I think it’s a combination of low blood pressure & Gilbert’s.

I don't think it's surprising that you don't have much energy when you're hardly eating anything. Even if you don't feel hungry, your body is on the verge of starving. Plus, surgery is physically traumatic and it takes energy to heal.

I'm two weeks out today and I feel surprisingly good. I went back to work on Monday (it's a desk job so not physically strenuous). But I have been making sure to take it easy and especially avoid anything that will make me sweat, since my Fluid intake is ok but not quite where it should be. I know I will need to exercise to achieve the weight loss I want and get in shape, but I'm not worrying about that at this point since my calorie intake is so low (about 400 calories/day).

I thought that I had been doing an amazing job of recovering in the 3 weeks after surgery as I was feeling great, was able to slowly get my Fluid intake up from the mid 40s to 60 ounces, and had a good amount of energy.

Then the bottom dropped out a few days ago and I have absolutely no energy now. I didn't manage to crawl out of bed until about 45 minutes ago (8:15am) and it's been like that since the weekend.

It's very heartening to know that this is not unexpected and I greatly appreciate reading everyone's experiences with this. Just gotta keep on moving forward and get to the other side of it!

Well I might have got an answer. I had my first post op and they told me I am pretty low on B12. That I need to take a pill in addition to my bariatric Multivitamin.