Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months plateau - VGS 20/11/2019

Hi everyone,

I am becoming desperare and I have no idea what to do. I had gastric sleeve on 20 Nov 2019. Starting weight was 118 kg now I am 93 kg since 15 April. I am 31 years old.

A nutritionist told me I don't eat enough and this might be the issue. Are there any people who went throught this? I don't know what I am doing wrong though I suspect I am undereating because....hunger almost disappeared some 3 months ago. While I feel very good at the current weight yesterday someone told me "oh your surgery must not have been successful since you've plateau for so long" and hearing this just hurts.

Any tips? Has anyone been in a similar situation? A million thanks in advance and may we all keep up the good work!

Roxy

plateaus can last for awhile - even three or four weeks, but it sounds like you're in maintenance right now. It'd make more sense to eat FEWER calories than MORE. How many calories a day are you averaging?

some people start losing again by changing up their macros, too - e.g., going higher on Protein and lower on carbs - or whatever. Or changing up their activity...

Edited by catwoman7

Hey!

I eat maybe 800-1300. Tried to focus on Protein and Fiber less on carbs...

Yes I need to change something not sure what. I'll have to try again with a nutritionist and maybe get a meal plan...

800-ish is about what I ate at that point (I didn't routinely go over 1000 until I was almost a year out). Maybe try keeping it between 800-1000 and see if anything happens. If not, you can always experiment with different macro percentages or different calorie ranges. It could be that your body requires more calories than most, but it seems like many of us are between 600-800 or 800-1000 until around the year mark.

3 hours ago, ruxaradu said:

While I feel very good at the current weight yesterday someone told me "oh your surgery must not have been successful since you've plateau for so long" and hearing this just hurts.

I don't know the answer to your question, but you have my permission to tell this person who said that to you to f*ck right off. They don't live in your body, you do, and if you feel good at that weight, then you don't need their opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one and some are stinkier than others.

9 hours ago, ruxaradu said:

Hi everyone,

I am becoming desperare and I have no idea what to do. I had gastric sleeve on 20 Nov 2019. Starting weight was 118 kg now I am 93 kg since 15 April. I am 31 years old.

A nutritionist told me I don't eat enough and this might be the issue. Are there any people who went throught this? I don't know what I am doing wrong though I suspect I am undereating because....hunger almost disappeared some 3 months ago. While I feel very good at the current weight yesterday someone told me "oh your surgery must not have been successful since you've plateau for so long" and hearing this just hurts.

Any tips? Has anyone been in a similar situation? A million thanks in advance and may we all keep up the good work!

Roxy

Look at how much Protein you're getting?

I say your calories are high for only 3.5 months out I don't think I went over 500 until 6 months but still make sure to get 90G protein and I kept carbs very low...

I'm male 35, 6ft0, started at 146kgs I'm now sitting in maintenance around 75kgs so it is possible....

9 hours ago, ruxaradu said:

Hi everyone,

Roxy

Look at how much Protein you're getting?

I say your calories are high for only 3.5 months out I don't think I went over 500 until 6 months but still make sure to get 90G protein and I kept carbs very low...

I'm male 35, 6ft0, started at 146kgs I'm now sitting in maintenance around 75kgs so it is possible....

Plateaus can be demoralising. And yeah, I’d tell that person to feck off too!

I think @catwoman7 is correct & you are consuming enough calories to be in maintenance. At 3 & 4 months I was still barely eating 1/2 cup of food three times a day (took me three days to eat 2 eggs) & was probably eating 300 - 500 calories. Check your portion sizes, ensure you’re meeting your Protein goals & avoid carbs & sugars.

Adding regular exercise, about 30 minutes a day, could help rev up your metabolism. Just walking helps. Add some strengthening exercises to help with batwing arms. There are simple exercises without equipment on YouTube.

If your "surgery not successful" has nothing to with you. In fact, a recent published scientific article shows that the skill of the surgeon has about 50% of influence on success. Ignore idiots who try to blame you. Like blaming a couple for inability to conceive a baby. Plain stupidity.

Stats: 5'1", age 67, female. Highest weight: 245. BMI 41. Surgery Date: May 28, 2020. Weight at surgery: 211. VSG.

Thank you all so much your support and advice means a lot to me. I will cut down on calories. Honestly here in Europe doctors are very conservative. My nutritionist would have never said "stick between 500-800" in the first year. Never in a lifetime. So I thought I was being a good girl at 1300 but you are right.

I will follow your advice and keep you posted.

A million thanks!

Rox

you might want to start at 800-1000 and see if that works. 500 may be a bit low for you given you're eight months out (although I do know people who've stuck with 600-800 until the year mark). I was in the 800-1000 range when I was where you are, and I still lost weight. But then so many things factor into weight loss (genetics, etc) that you sort of have to experiment to see what works for YOU.