Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out. Still on my liquid diet of Protein Shakes and chicken broth and sugar free popsicles. I feel ravenous like I could eat everything I don't know if it's eye hunger, or just the deprivation of anything resembling chewing. Tonight I went over to visit my boyfriend and I ended up meeting a small piece of chicken Jerky. I chewed it and chewed and chewed it and now that I've eaten it I feel so guilty and I'm waiting for my stomach to explode or something. I needed to confess because I feel like I've done a bad thing anyone else had this happened to them? I'm getting nervous that when I can eat I'm just going to eat everything please somebody tell me that the smaller stomach and the ghrelin reduction will kick in

Please be careful. Like Dr. V states, take care of your new baby.

Why feel guilty? It's not like you went out and devoured an entire 16-inch pizza. Occasional lapses and eating TINY things that aren't in the prescribed diet phase isn't something to get twisted in knots over, IMO.

I'm supposed to be on liquids until Monday when I can go to pureed foods. Let me tell you a secret: 2 days ago I was so hungry, I microwaved some turkey sausage, pureed it, added some V8 and pepper for flavoring, and it was absolutely delicious! There was no discomfort or side effects. Do I feel guilty? No. I'm just ahead of schedule by a few days.

I'm keeping an eye on my caloric intake and I'm still sub-600 calories per day. The last 2 days I've gone out for 45-minute brisk walks, so my daily caloric net is negative.

I've done plenty of things in my life that are worthy of self-flagellation, but eating a piece of chicken Jerky wouldn't be one of them. :)

Edited by PolkSDA

I’m 8 days from my sleeve, and I definitely get hungry. I echo your question: when does the smaller stomach and gherkin reduction kick in? I’m holding at about 650 calories per day, but by bedtime it’s hard to go to sleep because of hunger. Anyone have any experience with “early” hunger?

forgive yourself this time and stick to your surgeon's plan from now on.

Well, autocorrect has a sense of humor. Obviously I meant “ghrelin” not “gherkin.”

I miss meat! If anything is going to break me it's gonna be some meat.

Edited by Lazy Hermit

8 minutes ago, Lazy Hermit said:

I miss meat! If anything is going to break me it's gonna be some meat.

Better meat than carbs or sweets, IMO. Lean meats won't kill weight loss, and Protein is important.

EDIT: How the heck have you lost 88 pounds in 9 days?... or is your starting weight prior to surgery? I set my starting weight to my weight on day of surgery; is that not what we're supposed to do? Or is starting weight what we weighed when we made the decision to have the surgery?

Edited by PolkSDA

Well, it’s not about being “bad” or “cheating” on your diet. The dietary guidelines at this point are to make sure your stomach heals and prevent you from getting sick. There’s nothing magical about the one week or two week or six week point that change your stomach into the next phase. These times are based on how long most people take to heal to the point that they can handle different types of food. I personally hate vomiting, so I don’t want to do anything to take a chance of making myself sick. I started puréed foods today and my first food was 1 ounce of triple zero yogurt, eaten slowly with a baby spoon. If you eat foods before you can handle them, you’re taking the chance that your stomach might react badly and that will be the punishment. There’s no need to feel guilty on top of that.

if you’re going to eat something you’re not supposed to, though, Jerky is probably not the best choice since it is dry and tough. If you’ve really got to have meat, go with something soft like canned or slow-cooked chicken.

11 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I started puréed foods today and my first food was 1 ounce of triple zero yogurt, eaten slowly with a baby spoon. If you eat foods before you can handle them, you’re taking the chance that your stomach might react badly and that will be the punishment. There’s no need to feel guilty on top of that.

if you’re going to eat something you’re not supposed to, though, Jerky is probably not the best choice since it is dry and tough. If you’ve really got to have meat, go with something soft like canned or slow-cooked chicken.

Very interesting... I think the post-op diets may be similarly variable as the pre-op diets. In your case, yogurt is part of the pureed stage, but in my post-op diet staging, yogurt was part of the full liquid phase. I've been eating yogurt and no-sugar-added applesauce since 2 days after surgery without issue. Go figure...

I agree that Jerky would not be good due to its texture and consistency. Still, regardless of what the "infraction" is, I don't think it's worth feeling guilt over.

Perhaps I have a different perspective, in that while I fully intend to comply with the phases of the diet progression, there's also the safety net in that if you proceed too quickly or eat something you shouldn't, your body will let you know pretty darned quickly that you shouldn't have done that. It's like a child and a hot stove... once you burn yourself, you'll know not to touch it again.

I've been lucky thus far, in that nothing I've yet ingested post-surgery, whether type of food or amount or pace, has triggered any nausea, let alone vomiting, dumping, etc. The only negative has been if I eat or drink something too quickly, I'll feel a bit of heartburn-like pressure. That's my signal to put on the brakes. Thus far it's passed in about 10-15 seconds.

I presume that as I add more food types to my diet, I'm likely to encounter combinations/types that my system will not tolerate, but thus far (knock on wood) I've been lucky in that regard.

4 hours ago, joleza said:

10 days out. Still on my liquid diet of Protein Shakes and chicken broth and sugar free popsicles. I feel ravenous like I could eat everything I don't know if it's eye hunger, or just the deprivation of anything resembling chewing. Tonight I went over to visit my boyfriend and I ended up meeting a small piece of chicken Jerky. I chewed it and chewed and chewed it and now that I've eaten it I feel so guilty and I'm waiting for my stomach to explode or something. I needed to confess because I feel like I've done a bad thing anyone else had this happened to them? I'm getting nervous that when I can eat I'm just going to eat everything please somebody tell me that the smaller stomach and the ghrelin reduction will kick in

You're very early out of surgery it may take weeks for your new stomach to fully heal and the nerves and Hunger to stop.... But then again some people are just what's hungry even with surgery.. just take it slowly still don't rush..

On 7/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, Machta said:

I’m 8 days from my sleeve, and I definitely get hungry. I echo your question: when does the smaller stomach and gherkin reduction kick in? I’m holding at about 650 calories per day, but by bedtime it’s hard to go to sleep because of hunger. Anyone have any experience with “early” hunger?

YES. I’m five days post op and STARVING all.the.time. I was prepared for “head” hunger, but not this constant growling physical hunger. My clinic’s dietician says it’s head hunger, but if my stomach is growling loud enough someone next to me can hear it, how is that in my head? I’m getting in my liquids, but nothing seems to help the hunger pangs. Feeling pretty bummed about it all.

2 hours ago, cj2sju said:

I’m getting in my liquids, but nothing seems to help the hunger pangs.

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with this as well! I'm now 11 days out from my sleeve. I just exchanged messages with my dietician, and she said that the hunger pangs will go away as I move to more solid food. I started "solid" food yesterday, and today the hunger is MUCH better.

1 hour ago, Machta said:

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with this as well! I'm now 11 days out from my sleeve. I just exchanged messages with my dietician, and she said that the hunger pangs will go away as I move to more solid food. I started "solid" food yesterday, and today the hunger is MUCH better.

That is great news Machta! Gives me hope!

Machta, how are you getting in 650 calories a day? I’m 5 days post-op and between the 2 Premier Protein shakes and a cup of broth, I’m coming in at 365 calories.