Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sister and i got the sleeve the same day. She read somewhere that we can not have melted cheese. We are 1 month out. we have been sticking to our diet pretty well we just want some shrimp with melted cheese.

So can we have melted cheese?

try a little and see how you tolerate it. Everyone is different. But the short answer is no. You are a month out, so it probably wont kill you. I was eating pizza 3 weeks out. Remember everything in moderation

I know every surgeon has different stages for you to progress through post surgery but at one month out I was only just commencing soft foods (think mushy, flaky foods without a bite). Prawns would have been too hard a food to eat & difficult for my sleeve to tolerate.

Remember you are still healing. Give yourself time to heal & learn your sleeve’s likes & dislikes. Listen carefully to your body. It will tell you what it can tolerate, when & how much. There may be foods you will never be able to eat again without suffering discomfort or unpleasant side effects.

I don’t have cheese often - fat content - is too high - but I do have the odd small cube to up my Protein intake if I’m low as recommended by my dietician when I was close to my goal. Also it’s not uncommon for bariatric patients to develop a lactose intolerance. So tread carefully introducing any dairy back into your diet. My sleeve becomes very noisy when I have certain dairy foods as it struggles to digest it.

Good luck with your journey. Best decision I made.

it's been a long time for me, but I think I was eating things like cheese sticks fairly early - and I remember making spinach with feta - and I think I baked it - and then pureed it. So I'm guessing yes. But you might want to check with your team first since plans vary quite a bit. But if you're allowed non-melted cheese, I don't see why it would matter if it was melted.

You probably can tolerate it at this point (melted or otherwise), but it should definitely be as low-fat as possible. I'd be more concerned about the shrimp--I was still on pureed foods at one month.

Wow... I going into my 5th month and I can’t have shrimp into my 6th month ... very strict surgeon and nutritionist.

53 minutes ago, sdjohnson7 said:

Wow... I going into my 5th month and I can’t have shrimp into my 6th month ... very strict surgeon and nutritionist.

really? Wow. I could have shrimp at about a month out. That's what pretty much saved me when I went out to restaurants the first handful of months - I'd usually order the shrimp cocktail appetizer if it was on the menu.

I’ve come to the uneducated conclusion that post op diets past the 4th week are so disparate that they are essentially meaningless. Mine was pretty honest when pressed about this, saying I could try anything I want and if it doesn’t work I’ll know, and short of gorging myself I’m not going to hurt anything at this point. I’m four weeks tomorrow but I’ve had raw veggies, chicken breast etc without issue but that’s me. I’m lucky in that nothing has bothered me, but I’m limiting solids to about 1oz and love the restriction. Obviously healthy choices are key from here on out so I’m not breaking out a box of donuts... but a nibble of x or y isn’t going to erupt out of my stomach like an alien. It’ll either agree with me or not and I can adjust accordingly. But I’m not a doctor, follow yours please and be comfortable in knowing you have a paid professional in your corner, not some rando internet poster like me. :)

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

really? Wow. I could have shrimp at about a month out. That's what pretty much saved me when I went out to restaurants the first handful of months - I'd usually order the shrimp cocktail appetizer if it was on the menu.

Our Dr also said the we could have shrimp and fish, i usually only eat like 3 lol

8 minutes ago, Nelly Catano said:

Our Dr also said the we could have shrimp and fish, i usually only eat like 3 lol

Yea me too. I kinda miss those days!!

Sleeved 6/8. My doctor said yes to shrimp and melted cheese. I've ate Shrimp 2x. Both times I was only able to eat 2 pieces.

7 minutes ago, Paula.Hamilton said:

Sleeved 6/8. My doctor said yes to shrimp and melted cheese. I've ate Shrimp 2x. Both times I was only able to eat 2 pieces.

The Most that i have had was 3 lol so far. the other day i made ceviche with crab meat and shrimp and it was so good. But i could only do like 4 bites.