Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op - due for my first fill in 4 days. I am pretty much eating whatever I want now - the only restriction I feel has been on 2 occasions when I rushed and didn't chew as well as I should have.

The problem I am having is that I know I am eating too much, but am having problems stopping - I am hoping that when I get restriction this will go away. When I say eating too much - I am still eating nowhere near as much as I did pre-band - but no weight is coming off. In fact I am putting on a few pounds - which brings me to my 2nd question...

Did you find yourself constipated and retaining Fluid after having the band?

I guess what is making me even more unmotivated is the fact that I am eating less than I used to but gaining weight. Any ideas on these problems please?

thanx kathryn for starting this thread.. i was about to start the same one..im 4 weeks post op and im eating heaps.. is this bandsters hell? there a days that i feel full pretty quick and there are days that i can eat all day..

ive had a really rough week with other issues in my life and feel that i have totally neglected my band,,boy i was so focus from the day of surgery and lost 1 stone in the first 3 weeks.. im too scared to step on the scales...help.. have i stuffed up..

I am on my second band and I know that eventually we will feel restriction. I have to remind myself that too. With my first band I never ever gained weight. I was restricted from the start and when I wasnt , id go in for a fill and be fine. The new band is a 11cc vs. a 4 cc as before and I had a 5 cc fill and could still eat a cow. im in banster hell and I know that it will eventuall end but i have gained 40 lbs. ill be happy when it gets here.

It is DEFINITELY bandsters hell. We all go through it. Don't worry, after your first fill things will change. After your second fill, things will change even more!

I was able to eat anything and as much as I wanted before my first fill. After my first fill, I was still able to eat anything I wanted, but if I didn't chew properly and if things had a "wierd" consistency, they got stuck. I just got my second fill yesterday and man am I tight! liquids are gurgling going down. I'm not hungry. It's 11:00 a.m, I've been awake since 6:30, and all I've had is a cup of coffee and a few sips of severly milked-down slimfast (2 parts skim milk to 1 part slim fast).

Thanks for the replies. I was worried that I might be stretching the pouch - but it's good to know I am not alone with this.

Just a question. Is everyone exercising (really sweating). Remember the band is a tool only. In my pre-fill stage and even sometimes now I always measure and weigh my food, and when I eat slow, chewing, and eat the Protein first I can usually feel satisfied.

Just stick with it we'll there!!

Hi there!

What you're all feeling is common to most post-op bandsters! If you aren't already keeping a food journal, it's a really good idea. A simple log of what you ate, grams of Protein and carbs can work wonders.

Really make sure that you're selecting the appropriate foods (not junk that slides down easily, like ice cream). A lot of doctors recommend eating lean Proteins first, then veggies because you'll feel full longer. If you have a diet plan from your doctor, this is a good time to double-check that you're following all of his/her recommendations.

Keep track to make sure you're getting in your 64 ounces of Water per day in between your three meals. That will help you not feel as hungry and keep you hydrated at the same time!

I hope this information proves helpful! I feel your pain and I know if I made it through "bandster hell" so can you!

I'm in bandster hell as well. The lack of weight loss I'm learning to deal with, but I feel like I'm stretching my pouch and doing damage to my band. I know I'm eating well over a cup of food during each meal (I've been eating larger less frequent meals...bad, I know). Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in bandster hell as well. The lack of weight loss I'm learning to deal with, but I feel like I'm stretching my pouch and doing damage to my band. I know I'm eating well over a cup of food during each meal (I've been eating larger less frequent meals...bad, I know). Any advice would be appreciated.

Lizzie - I've found that I have to measure out my food before I start eating. If I only have a cup in front of me and the rest of the food is put away out of sight, I don't have the heart to get it out and dig in to get more even if I feel hungry still. I dunno - that's just what works for me. And yes...I may only be 2 1/2 weeks out from my surgery, but I do know hunger and that urge to want more!! And this is stomach-grumbling, non-head-hunger.

Thanks Steph. I'm going to try to start having more frequent, smaller meals again starting today (1st day fo solids - YEY!). I'm still a little fearful that those meals where I had more than a cup of food did some damage though.

It's funny but I have been feeling the same in the last few days... I'm still sticking to the plan but eating faster than I should and wanting more. I do what Steph does, I only serve what I should be eating and put the rest away. I have Snacks in between but keep my intake to under 900 cals a day. I guess if you are hungry and can't keep to 3 meals a day, then at least keep low fat things around so you don't resort to junk food.< /p>

Hey Guys;

Sounds like we all were banded around the same time, I was banded 10/29/2007. About 2 weeks out I discovered I could eat way more than I shoud be. I spoke with my bariactric nurse and she said this was normal as it was a sign of healing and the swelling going down inside, which is a good thing!! She said just to hold on and try real hard to focus, eat small portion, good for you food until my first fill!!

I've done that. My first fill is 12/11/07. next week.I cant wait.

C/C

My first fill is also December 11th. I'm also eating more,but I have never cheated. I had my first salad yesterday and it went well.