Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-1/2 weeks post-VSG - zero appetite? Help!

Hi everyone -

I’m a little over 2 weeks post-VSG (5/15). Everything has been going great and I’ve already dropped 25# from my surgery weight. The problem is, I have ZERO appetite. I thought some hunger would begin to return as my body healed, but if anything, it’s declined further, because just the thought of eating anything, including sipping broth, gives me terrible waves of nausea. Yesterday, it was so bad, I dry-heaved into the toilet for 5 minutes, but nothing of course came up except Water.< br />

I’m really struggling to get at least my Protein in, sneaking scoops of GENEPRO into anything and everything, but it’s so hard because really the taste of anything except really cold, unsweetened iced pineapple black tea (yes I know, very specific 🤣) turns my stomach. So even protein water is a no go. And I cannot do Protein Shakes - something about the texture of that cold, thick liquid grosses me out to my bones ::shudder::

Has anyone else struggled with this? If yes, what did you do? Did it abate on its own?

nope. My hunger didn't come back until month 5, and some people's hunger doesn't come back for a year.

sorry to hear about the nausea, though - that's tough. Can the surgeon prescribe something like ondansetron? Or an antacid? Are you on a PPI? Most surgeons have patients take those for the first 3-6 months after surgery.

Edited by catwoman7

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

nope. My hunger didn't come back until month 5, and some people's hunger doesn't come back for a year.

sorry to hear about the nausea, though - that's tough. Can the surgeon prescribe something like ondansetron? Or an antacid? Are you on a PPI? Most surgeons have patients take those for the first 3-6 months after surgery.

Thank you for your reply. So how did you hit your Protein goals those first few months?

I’m taking a daily Pepcid but I’ll email the nurse to see if she has any other suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Violetsareblue said:

Thank you for your reply. So how did you hit your Protein goals those first few months?

I’m taking a daily Pepcid but I’ll email the nurse to see if she has any other suggestions.

I actually never had any problem hitting my Protein goals - but I think I'm one of those rare folks who actually LIKED protein shakes!! (I still drink one a day at five years out - because 1) I malabsorb protein so I need 100+ grams a day, and that's easier to meet if I have a Protein Shake as my morning snack and 2) I still like them!)

Today is my 2wk anniversary and im the same way. I HATE Protein SHAKES!! i tried making popsicles and it still grosses me out. Pho Soup helped but no protein. Im on flaky fish and pureed foods so ive been focusing on fish and seafood as much as possible. I havent had any acid reflux or vomiting, but i am extremely thirsty but cant drink alot of anything. I just sip on Water out my tumbler all day. My urine is dark so im trying to get fluids in.

sugar free pudding with unflavored Protein Powder is the only way I made it through the first two weeks. After that, I was lucky that I like cottage cheese.

Just keep experimenting and see if you can find something you can tolerate - it could even be something you didn't particularly like before.

I'm three months out. No appetite whatsoever. I just eat to get my Protein in

3 hours ago, SteelMagnolia83 said:

Today is my 2wk anniversary and im the same way. I HATE Protein SHAKES!! i tried making popsicles and it still grosses me out. Pho Soup helped but no Protein. Im on flaky fish and pureed foods so ive been focusing on fish and seafood as much as possible. I havent had any acid reflux or vomiting, but i am extremely thirsty but cant drink alot of anything. I just sip on Water out my tumbler all day. My urine is dark so im trying to get fluids in.

Ugh so you feel me! I got a craving for wonton Soup broth the other week but now the thought of it turns my stomach! Pho is a good idea. I also love Tom Kha soup so maybe I’ll order some of that and just strain it. I’m trying to stick to thick liquids and VERY soft foods for a few more weeks as my stomach heals, on the advice of several people who have had VSG surgery.

I’m honestly hoping I never get hungry again lol. Persistent hunger is what landed me to needing surgery anyway! 😩 I’m only a week post-op,and definitely not hungry at all, but I miss the ACT of eating so much, so in my mind I’m equating that to being hungry.

6 hours ago, Miss215 said:

I’m honestly hoping I never get hungry again lol. Persistent hunger is what landed me to needing surgery anyway! 😩 I’m only a week post-op,and definitely not hungry at all, but I miss the ACT of eating so much, so in my mind I’m equating that to being hungry.

It’s not so much the lack of appetite but the extreme almost aversion to food and how it’s inhibiting me from at least getting in my Protein. I just don’t want to mess this up 😖

You need to try other shakes until you find one you like I've been using shakes for months

8 hours ago, Violetsareblue said:

It’s not so much the lack of appetite but the extreme almost aversion to food and how it’s inhibiting me from at least getting in my Protein. I just don’t want to mess this up 😖

Hey Violetsareblue,

I'm 15 weeks PO today and I have continued to feel the same as you. I rarely get in any Protein. I am still only managing 100-200 calories a day. My BMI has gone from 44.1 to 31 in those 15 weeks. I dump on so many foods. I feel so unwell today that I’ve come on this site to try and look for others who are similar and may have an answer.

I have been hospitalised several times and see a dietitian every few weeks, but there is nothing surgically wrong with me. Just the taste changes and food aversions make it impossible to get anything in.......along with the dumping......I sound like a whinger and sure there are people worse off than me, but I am absolutely miserable.

I just want an answer or a solution so I can be fixed, I can’t live my life like this forever, I have tried everything.

I know this is no help to you, but if I find the answer or you do, please contact me.

L x

Edited by Loz77
Grammar

I use the Wonder Slim brand of shakes from Diet Direct. I like the dark cocoa cream flavor prepared as a hot cocoa. Maybe hot would gross you out a bit less than cold.

I'm still pre-surgery, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt, though.

Hi everyone -
I’m a little over 2 weeks post-VSG (5/15). Everything has been going great and I’ve already dropped 25# from my surgery weight. The problem is, I have ZERO appetite. I thought some hunger would begin to return as my body healed, but if anything, it’s declined further, because just the thought of eating anything, including sipping broth, gives me terrible waves of nausea. Yesterday, it was so bad, I dry-heaved into the toilet for 5 minutes, but nothing of course came up except Water.
I’m really struggling to get at least my Protein in, sneaking scoops of GENEPRO into anything and everything, but it’s so hard because really the taste of anything except really cold, unsweetened iced pineapple black tea (yes I know, very specific ) turns my stomach. So even Protein Water is a no go. And I cannot do Protein Shakes - something about the texture of that cold, thick liquid grosses me out to my bones ::shudder::
Has anyone else struggled with this? If yes, what did you do? Did it abate on its own?

Hey surgery Twin! I'm right there with you. No appetite AT ALL. Not even hunger. Protein has come in the form of (and I am nowhere near my daily amount) sliced deli turkey...cod fish...salmon and cheese. I have EVERY Protein Shake and powder and they have all turned out to be a waste of money!

I'm trying different foods...seeing what I can tolerate. Right now...and since surgery...my greatest battle is Constipation. Drinking is a full time job...as I have to remind myself. I realize that it could be worse. I'll just keep trying...taking my vitamins...hopefully something will give for BOTH of us soon.

It's MY time!