Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Post Op Visit & Answers

Hey everyone!

I had surgery on 11/6/07 and had my post-op appt today (delay due to Thanksgiving). My Doc was very pleased with my progress thus far. We even double took with the amount of weight that I lost. I weighed 358 on 8/23/07 (consult appt) and 346 on 10/26/07 (pre-op appt) and 317 11/29/07 (post-op appt). Which means I lost about 30lbs since 10/25/07. He asked how I was doing with hunger and I said that I am satisfied when I eat that I have not had much hunger and only when I have not eaten in a long time and that when I do I eat I am fine.

I asked about the shoulder pain. He indicated that it was common because the band may be sitting on a nerve that causes it. It may go away with time and weight loss. He asked how my diet was and I explained that I was following it to the "T". He explained that he thought that I had a small amount of restriction from just the band because I was not overly hungry. He scheduled my first fill for 1/3/08 (5 weeks away). Uggh! Hope I will make it.

I hope that I do not get to hungry from now until then; we will see. I left the appt very uplifted and he did say that I was starting off real good and to keep it up.

I am already seeing the weightloss slow down; which is what I wanted to happen as I do not want to lose to quickly. I want time for the skin to handle it. I was also told I can't circuit train with weights for 6 more weeks. I can do the treadmill but now lifting weights. I was a little bummed but I understand the time needed to heal.

Sorry for ranting I was just excited about the visit.

Cindy

Congrats on your weight loss so far! I have also been shocked at how the weight has been dropping for me. I was 295 this summer and last week at my appt. I was at 248! I have not weighed under 250 in about 6 years. I too, worry about losing too quickly. This week my weight loss has slowed down a little. I had my surgery on Nov. 5th. Keep us posted on your success. Are your clothes starting to hang on you? I haven't been hungry as well. My Dr. is pretty conservative with fills, so I don't even have one scheduled yet. Another lady I know who was banded with my Dr. didn't need one until 5 mos. after her surgery. Keep us posted on your progress.

That is absolutely great how much you have lost already! I think that really shows this surgery will be a a success for you - you obviously can follow the dietary stuff.

Just keeping following the diet to a "T" and you will be fine. Don't cheat on your Protein, even if you are over for the day's calories, and drink, drink, drink! You WILL get really hungry before your first fill. I was HORRIFICALLY hungry. But that is good since it means you are healed up and will be ready for a fill. Fluids will be your best friend. And drink them now, since it will get harded when you've been filled.

I started at 315lbs on New Year's Day of this year. I had the surgery two weeks later and just TODAY hit the over 100lbs lost mark. Yippee! But I have to say, those first several weeks were really tough. Tougher than I expected or anyone said. Especially when the hunger hit. But I found it easier to bite the bullet and stick with it since I knew a fill would be coming - there was an end in sight. I never had a problem with following what foods to eat on a diet, I just couldn't deal with constantly feeling (physically as well as mentally) hungry.

Not that you are asking for advice, but if you want some... try to keep the food/progress diary like they recommend. It really made it easier to count stuff up and keep track of Vitamins, etc. in those first months, and I also look back at them now and again to see how far I have come. It was difficult at first, because it made me feel like I had to think about it all the time, but now it is kind of routine and really helpful.

I will stop blathering on now... but CONGRATULATIONS again. And it is great you have an good doctor! We need more of them out there!

-Anne

Congratulations, I was banded on 10/25/07 and lost 25 pounds in the first three weeks. Only lost three pounds since then and the hunger has been increasing, I believe it's from the swelling going down.

Go for my first fill next week - 12/5, hope this cures the hunger pains!

Speaking to people on this blog, it seems to be the normal progression of banding. I stopped weighing myself because the numbers are not going down, I'll weigh myself a few weeks after the fill.

Thanks to everyone here that provide the moral support and share their experiences.

This is really a journey we are on and I'm on it till the end.............

Sounds like you had a great first office visit--congratulations!!

I'm disappointed you can't do circuit training for a few more weeks--I was able to go back to Curves at four weeks, but I waited until this week (seven weeks post op) before I went back to the YMCA on the machines / free weights. It really makes you feel terrific and alive!!!

I only got 1/2 cc when I went for my first fill (don't know what size band I have)--and I told him I really hadn't been hungry. My next appointment wasn't scheduled until Dec 28th but I moved it back to the 21st--I WANT that restriction before Christmas!!!

Keep up the stupendous work!! :bounce:

Thank you so much for the advice. Well needed. I have been keeping my diary at Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople. I have found it keeps me accountable. I must admit I have the hungry horrors today, but I went up to the local deli and got 1 cup of vegetable beef Soup and believe or not 2 oz. of deli ham (protein). I agree that I will be super hungry before 1/3/08 but I agree that following the diet and drinking constantly will help. I also find that having a Protein shake once day helps keep me satisfied.

By the way, you've done remarkable and my goal is to hit 100lbs. in year just like you.

Thanks again much appreciated for you veteran bandsters.

WOW Cindy!

Awesome weightloss.....but I agree with you I would rather lose it slower as well.....I think that is one way to keep our skin from being saggy after. I figured it out and to reach my ultimate goal I will need to lost 2.5 punds per week.

This is the amount of weight that I was advised at my consultation visit that the band normally affords. So I feel I can do this.

I just want to get back to the gym but I can't yet until I see him on Dec 11th.

So 10 more days.......I just wanted to tell you how great you are doing.......you have to be feeling on top of the world. I too have no hunger yet and am blessed by this I know.

Hello, I just wanted to tell you this is my first time here and I just read your post and was excited. I am having my surgery dec 18th and I cant wait!!! I was told about this site and was hoping to hear some good comments. I really have no idea what to expect as far as weight loss but my only daughter is getting married the end of april and I was hoping and praying to lose a good amount by then...

I am going to be 50 in Jan and I have approx. 150 pounds to lose.

I was hoping to see how much some people have lost in the first 4 months.

I lost about 40 pounds the first four months. That being said, I only had a total of about 68 pounds to lose total, so starting from a smaller place it is a given that you will lose slower. The more you have to lose, the faster it will come of initially, then it will stabilize as you get down farther. Using your daughter's wedding as a mini-goal is fantastic.