Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Food Still Bring You Joy? a newbie wants to know.

Since I'm about 10 days away from a bypass I'd love to hear from the Veteran Bypassers but of course Sleevers too as I know it's not THAT different.

I think what keeps me awake at night is the LOSS of the joy I receive celebrating with food or splurging as a Foodie with my husband (naturally trim) or the joy of treats with my children. I don't need the speech about finding joy in other things. I get that. And I know food has been an anchor to me for many years now. A burden. But I do also get great joy from it. From looking forward to it. Even during my years of temporarily successful Weight Watchers attempts I could save points for a big treat on the weekend and felt great joy in looking forward to that bowl of ice cream or fried chicken and potatoes. In fact, it's the first thing my physician-husband (who recommends WLS to his patients) said to me when I told him I was considering the surgery ... "But... food makes you happy." So... I guess I'd like to hear from those who have found a way to still find JOY in their food. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Edited by MaybeMeow

I was pretty indifferent to it during the first few months after surgery (and I wish things would have stayed that way - it's so much easier to lose weight when you're never hungry and don't give a hoot about food), but that all eventually comes back. At least for most of us.

1 hour ago, MaybeMeow said:

Since I'm about 10 days away from a bypass I'd love to hear from the Veteran Bypassers but of course Sleevers too as I know it's not THAT different.

I think what keeps me awake at night is the LOSS of the joy I receive celebrating with food or splurging as a Foodie with my husband (naturally trim) or the joy of treats with my children. I don't need the speech about finding joy in other things. I get that. And I know food has been an anchor to me for many years now. A burden. But I do also get great joy from it. From looking forward to it. Even during my years of temporarily successful Weight Watchers attempts I could save points for a big treat on the weekend and felt great joy in looking forward to that bowl of ice cream or fried chicken and potatoes. In fact, it's the first thing my physician-husband (who recommends WLS to his patients) said to me when I told him I was considering the surgery ... "But... food makes you happy." So... I guess I'd like to hear from those who have found a way to still find JOY in their food. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Don't stress I had bypass and I'm glad I don't feel the need to turn to food 8 literally eat because I need the Protein. I don't really feel the need to eat constantly like I used to and I'm glad.

So, I had pretty much the same question and got some really helpful answers on this thread here.

Hope it helps.

I was very much a sweets lover and chips and Pasta and bread and alllllll the things you can't eat for at least six months after your surgery lol. I actually stopped eating all that stuff months before I even had my surgery so despite the fact I'm only four months post op, it's been close to a year since I've had most of that stuff. Do I miss it? Kinda. But honestly, your taste buds do change and you'll find enjoyment in foods you perhaps didn't appreciate as much or even like before! I loooove my yogurt in the morning. And sometimes at night lol. I find that's actually the thing I crave the most and I kinda get my sweet fix from it. Also, sugar free pudding gets me my chocolate fix when the store is out of my chocolate Protein Drinks lol

8 hours ago, MaybeMeow said:

So... I guess I'd like to hear from those who have found a way to still find JOY in their food.

I still enjoy food. Mind you, I have some intolerances but there are substitutes available for many of these foods (e. g. dairy free ice cream).

Prepare for some rough months when it comes to food and diet. You're going to have to find out what you'll be able to eat and what you'll be able to eat and still get your desired results.

Don't count on your taste buds changing magically their preferences. For some people their preferences change permanently, for some they change only temporarily and some don't notice a difference at all.

Sometimes I miss being able to eat like someone who didn't have WLS when it comes to portion sizes but that's only on special occasions that come around maybe a few times a year so it doesn't really bother me in the end.

I can honestly say now i enjoy food better the pre Op. Prior to surgery food was Food i consumed garbage food, bar food, Junk food, Drive thru food, Boxed and processed food.

Now Flash forward

I eat small portions (NORMAL) for most of the world except the USA. I eat the good food, Shrimp, Lobster, Filet, I cook with the best ingredients and healthy.

I would rather eat a 6oz Lobster Tail with 3oz Filet - Then a box of wings and pizza from Dominos

You will be able to eat properly, Just no garbage. You can still enjoy the social end of food and the good times with the kids - Just not by the bucket full

Well worth it in my view!

I still enjoy/love food, but in a different way now, I guess.

While before, EATIING it would give me a thrill, now, I honestly enjoy watching OTHERS eat it, cooking it, looking at pictures of it, even just smelling it, LOL. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, it just IS.

This surgery taught me a long time ago that I had to be selective in what I put in my mouth (given the limited real estate I have now, and the dumping, and of course the weight loss/maintenance results). I still love going to out to restaurants/bars/parties/get-togethers (well, at least pre-pandamic i did...) but I don't feel the need to eat everything anymore. I often find myself asking "Is it worth it"? More often than not, it isn't.

Of course, yours (and others) milage may vary, but I figure it's a lifestyle change. One can't expect lasting change by doing the same things as before.

It can be tough at first, but If you can stay the course, hopefully you will find a happier, healthier you.

P.S. I am over 1.5 years out now, and no longer trying to lose weight, so I have a different vantage point. I don't really consider myself a vet yet, but I'm not a newbie either. So I fully recognize that it looks different from where you are standing. Take pics of yourself now, write down your measurements, and maybe months/weeks from now you will be all "yay, me" instead of "boo me".

P.P.S On a less popular note, if the inevitable ability to indulge is more important to you than the weight loss (and for some, it is), then that is really your choice to make. I can only say from my own personal experience that I will take looking and feeling awesome over a 12-course tasting menu any day. (Not to say I wouldn't go to one, lol)

Good Luck!

I like food still, though not the same things. My sense of smell and taste changed a lot with my surgery, so whenever my SO has fries, I want to gag whereas before, I'd eat an entire large no problem, but I crave vegetables and fruits and Proteins now.

I spend a lot of time surfing the web looking for recipes I can try out and I have found so many bariatric foods that are good comparisons to things I had before, but WAAAAY healthier. I eat four times a day and have 70-100 Protein a day, and it's all fairly tasty food.

At the beginning, I didn't want to eat, nor did any food really taste good, but after about three months, I finally started liking food again. I don't crave like I used to, I haven't binged in 6 months (OMG!!!!!), and honestly... it's not satisfying to eat anymore, it's just something I have to do, so I try to make sure it's healthy and tasty so it's not so boring.

It's worth it, though. Food doesn't control me like it used to. It's nice having a choice now. :)

I will be 2 yrs post op in Oct and I can honestly say I don't really care about food anymore! If I get hungry (rarely) I can eat a couple of crackers and be satisfied. I still track my food to make sure I eat enough Protein otherwise I may forget to eat all day. Work days are better because I take my food with me for my 12 hr shifts. I live alone so I don't cook much anymore. Yogurt is a fine dinner in my book! If I go out for a meal I bring at least half of it home for later.

It is definitely different. With surgery, we all learn to change our relatiinship with food, to varying degrees. My life definitely revolves around food VERY differently. Eating can be a bit more of a chore in many ways. And I dont mean that in a bad way. Just that it takes more thought and effort to stay on track. But I DO enjoy food. Not all the time. Not in the dame ways as before. But when I find that something special to eat, it is still wonderful. And food in social situations is still important, while a little more challenging, especially in the early months. In maintenance, I can eat and enjoy most Protein and veggie foods. Carbs can be tricky. I love salty Snacks. I can eat some sweets with no problem. I just moderate what I need to moderate. And in social situations I look for the best options. I would say the hardest part for me is work meals where the menu is set. I do have to plan ahead. I ask what will be served, and I plan what I can eat ahead of time. I did skip one work holiday dinner because nothing on the menu would work for me... but most of the time I can figure it out. For pot lucks I bring something I know I can eat, in case there isnt anything else I can eat. Usually I do find a few goodies to enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes! I just eat out of a much smaller bowl and quit the clean plate club. I've made a lot of substitutions, like sashimi instead of sushi and cauliflower instead of potatoes, low carb Pasta, etc. but I count my calories and can still have the occasional treat. I'm just as happy with two tater tots as I used to be with a serving. The first couple bites are the best anyway.

Just a thought that came to my mind during a bike ride today (yes, straight and empty bike lanes can be that boring):

I think I really only started to enjoy food when I reached a weight I was ok with. Before that there was good tasting food of course but there was always the smack of bad conscience involved.

Update: I was so happy that I've been able to tolerate every food except for Jello that when my doctor told me I could now incorporate low carb tortillas into my diet I got really excited. Problem? Apparently I can't tolerate them! 😭 I got the WORST nausea and stomach 'issues' after eating that I don't know if I'm ever even going to TRY bread again, because I don't want to experience that again! I hated how bad I felt afterword and I was trying to figure out what they heck it was and it was similar symptoms to dumping syndrome which isn't even supposed to be POSSIBLE with my surgery! 😭