Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

Hi Gang! I'm Meow. I was scheduled for a 100cm Bypass on June 29th and they just moved me UP to June 9th! AHHHHHHH! I'm usually pretty grounded with life's hurdles but all the sudden my mind went blank and I thought "I'M NOT READY!" Any other May, June, July Bypassers want to join up and share and support? I'm not sure how to put my stats in my profile but I am 5' 5" female. Late 40s. 220# at the Doc yesterday. Goal weight is 150. Having BYPASS instead of Sleeve due to life-long reflux. Told I only need to do 3 days liquid liver shrink beforehand since my BMI is only 36. Feel both overloaded with info and under-prepared to say goodbye to the contrasting albatross/joy that is food in my life. Both glad and nervous about the timing as it feels like an easier time to stay away from friends and family who social-eat until I get a handle on my new digestive system. But also I'm pretty bored as my line of work is largely halted until the conditions are far safer. Likely won't have regular work until 2021. I'm ashamed to say the last 2 months have been more of a food funeral than I anticipated so I have a lot of mind-prep to do in the next 2 weeks. I am keeping this a private journey. Only my husband and best friend know. Even keeping my tween daughter in the dark at least for now. Would love some buddies who check in frequently to go thru this with. I've been posting on other June thread but thought a BYPASS thread would be great. And of course Veterans are WELCOME to pop in and share. Share your stories with me! Let's do this together!!

EXCITED FOR YOU, MEOW!😀 You’ve got your ducks in a row, and are READY to ROLL. I initially wanted Sleeve but surgeon suggested RNY for same reason as yours, reflux. We all have a bump or two in the road, but at 11 weeks out I am THRILLED that I chose to do this and vow to overcome any obstacles I face. We’ll be here for you to cheer you on, Celebrate victories, help ease concerns. June 9th will be here and gone before you know it!

CONGRATULATIONS!!🎉🎊💖

Thanks Lily66! I just saw your stats and we are very similar! Congrats on an amazing 33.4 pounds at ... gosh... 2.5 month?! What an inspiration! Did you have any scares or particular struggles that I should be prepared for the first week or two? I think my greatest concerns are pain, gas, nausea... and regret.

Thanks, Meow😉! The single biggest tip I can give you is to Walk, Walk, Walk the hospital hall just as soon as you possibly can, and keep it up! Make it an adrenalin game to Walk ALL that you can, reason being the terrible gas pain we hear about was completely eliminated for me because of walking. They say the pain shoots up to the shoulder and I experienced Zero of it. My Surgeon did not have me on narcotics post surgery so I literally tapped into the “Joy Adrenaline” that I made it through surgery fine, and did NOT want to deal with excruciating gas pains! Nausea was real but they gave me plenty of Zofran to take home and it handled it completely.

Yes, I had moderate pain abdominally, but as Catwoman described, it just felt like I had done 1,000 crunches and it only lasted a very short time. Another tip I learned here was keep a small, soft pillow handy to place on your tummy getting up and down. They had me in a binder in hospital and I kept it on a few days at home until I was able to shower. The pillow was for at home and helps.

They kept me an additional night in hospital because of trouble eating Jello and keeping broth down. They asked if I felt more comfortable staying that extra night and I said YES! If there was a problem I wanted it to be handled there! and not at home to end up back there. I felt great the following day and came home easily.

For first few weeks I slept in a comfy recliner...it felt better support and easier getting up and down. You may not feel like walking, but again, it is SO worth it to get up and walk every hour or so, whatever you can do will reward you BIG time in far less pain and gas.

I told only a very few close friends, not even extended family and SO glad I did. They would have opinions and this way my energy stayed with greatly supportive tall thin handsome hubby and friends without judgment. Keep it positive!!

Mostly, just think Blue Skies and envision the Healthy, Beautiful Butterfly preparing to emerge!💖

83165077-9657-4502-8F38-B4588DDB1090.jpeg

Edited by Lily66

It's perfectly fine to be apprehensive.

I just want to share with you my journey I had my surgery 7 months ago gastric bypass surgeon did 120cm.

It was the best decision ever and like I hardly crave food anymore literally some days I don't even think about food so you won't miss it as much as you think...

After a few months you'll be able to eat more normal food anyway but Protein is most important for your recovery.

I think I've been quite lucky with no issues or complications at all and losing weight pretty quickly..

Also 70lbs isn't that much I've lost over 150lbs now and maintaining well.

You will eventually be able to introduce certain food into your diet but still being mindful of the calorie content :)

Trust me you won't REGRET it at all

Mike

Hi, Meow,

I'm just a few weeks behind you. On my first visit to the surgeon on May 5, he told me I would need a psych consult and a nutritionist consult, then a visit with the anesthesia doc and a final visit with him prior to surgery. His assistant said if everything lined up right I could be having the surgery in early June.

I had the psych consult yesterday and the nutritionist today. Early June still seems optimistic, though. I have cataract surgery scheduled for Monday and Wednesday next week, and a routine follow-up with my pain management doc on June 10. I will ask the pain doc about squeezing in another steroid shot before the gastric bypass, but I'm still hoping for late June or July.

Just like you, I feel that things are moving quickly for me. I'm sure it will be an adventure.

Dave

Hey meow! I decided on bypass just because I felt it would be more beneficial to me. I was also nervous about having some issues later on down the road with the sleeve and didn’t want to have to have a revision surgery. I am 27, 5’7” and My starting weight was 258. I had surgery on May 14th (2 weeks ago) and I feel great! And I’m already down 23 pounds! I have had some emotional days....but I’m still very happy with my decision ❤️

Lily66... I'm taking notes! I've read a lot about the gas pain and love hearing you didn't have a lot. So sorry you struggled with nausea. I know Zofran well. I had a pump for it during pregnancy. Hoping to avoid the nausea all together but I bet with our reflux we might be more prone. How has your reflux been since surgery? I also have a handsome and naturally trim husband. Another thing in common. Also, helpful to hear about the recliner. I'm not one to sleep sitting up but it might come to that. What are you eating as you near 3 months post op?

Superman84... I've read a lot of your posts and seen your photos. You are for sure a success story that helps those of us waiting for surgery. I envy your lack of hunger lasting so long. I hope I am the same! I hope you are right about not regretting!! Thank you!

Dave in Houston... Hi! What are your stats? Hope your surgery date is pinned down soon. That's when it felt real for me. Hope cataract surgery goes smoothly. Soon you will be all new, won't you?

Jami 1992... can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing you say you're doing great 2 weeks out. What is your secret? Do you have a Protein Drink you enjoy? Pushing thru the head-hunger? You're a lot younger than I am so I imagine you're a fast healer. What is your final goal weight? I have the weight my surgeon said was one I might achieve with the short bypass (165) and then my ideal weight goal (150).

Lily66, Jami, do you know the length of your bypass?

My surgeon had me on the Bariatric Advantage HPMR shakes for 2 weeks. I just started eating yesterday. I’ll be honest though...by day 9 of the shakes it got pretty rough i just couldn’t handle the taste or texture of the shakes anymore....it got to the point I was getting sick when I drank them. I haven’t felt hungry since surgery, but my mind thinks I am when my family is eating lol I just try to find something to occupy myself until they are done :) my surgeon said my goal is 173 because that would put me at losing 70% of my excess weight, but my personal goal is 160
We never talked about my bypass length. All they told me was that my stomach is now the size of a plum.

15 hours ago, MaybeMeow said:

Dave in Houston... Hi! What are your stats? Hope your surgery date is pinned down soon. That's when it felt real for me. Hope cataract surgery goes smoothly. Soon you will be all new, won't you?

I am age 66, male. At 5' 10", I weighed 271 on January 1 and 253 this morning.

I just got an email from my surgeon's assistant saying I need to make my final appointment. Apparently I can meet with the surgeon and then go over to the anesthesia center for blood work and an EKG. I believe we'll also schedule the surgery at that time. I called him back immediately, but he's already gone for the day. But it looks like very shortly I'll also have to figure out how to entire my statistics for this site.

Before I'm all new, though, I may need a hip replacement. This getting old is not for the faint of heart, I'm telling you!

Dave

Jami... I bet you can't wait to get to pureed foods. You're almost there, yes? What will you try first? Yeah, I'm concerned about the Protein Shakes. I've tried several the last 2 weeks and like ZERO of them. I can tolerate plain fat free greek yogurt (18 grams protein) with a little P2 powder (which has about 6 grams of protein) and Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup blended with ice. I'm hoping I can tolerate them afterwards. I figure I can do anything for 2-3 weeks. Then the real test will begin. Bought some chicken Bone Broth and still haven't tried it. Anyone like it?

Anyone else have a nervous tummy? It's hard to see how these new products will settle when I'm already in stomach distress.

Dave I just completed driving my dad to his 6 weeks PT after his new hip surgery. He's in his 80s and doing great. That's a pretty slick surgery. In and out.

Anyone else out there with surgery dates? What are you doing to prepare? I ordered some Unjury powder to try as I've heard good things and wanted to see if I can make Jello with it. I also ordered a body pillow and a compression wrap along with a few things others have suggested that helped them like Gas X, bioteen spray for the hospital and a pair of loose fitting pajamas. With the exception of childbirth I've been lucky enough to stay clear of hospitals. This will all be new to me.

My nutritionist gave me a packet with everything that I’m allowed to eat and when I’m allowed to start eating them....so this week I am allowed eggs, cheese, Peanut Butter, Greek and regular yogurt (plain only), skim milk and plain hummus.
I started eating yesterday and my first thing was an egg....I made 1 egg with a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top....I could only eat half of it. I was amazed....but the 2 bites I had were delicious!!
I would recommend not trying the broth until after your surgery. For me after only having Protein Shakes for about 4 days I was ready for something different and the broth was SO GOOD!! I really felt like I was eating something!
I actually never was told to do any purées....Its strange to me how it seems that every doctor has different dietary guidelines for their patients.