Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Pain 9 months post sleeve

Hello,

I had a banded sleeve gastrectomy 9 months ago which included the Minimiser Ring. I am now at my goal weight.

The day after the surgery when I took a Panadol tablet I had an immediate shooting pain in my left shoulder.

9 months later I still get shoulder pain approximately 1/3 of the time I eat. It isn't a shooting pain anymore but still worrying and makes eating at that time not enjoyable. It doesn't seem to be any specific type or texture of food. As an aside I also have reflux.

My surgeon ordered an endoscopy recently which found I do indeed have GERD (acid and bile) which isn't being full controlled with medication but that is another story. The endoscopy didn't find anything wrong with the sleeve itself.

My question is could the shoulder pain have something to do with the Minimiser Ring? If the sleeve is good and I have no reason to think it isn't then the only other option I can think of is that it is somehow the Ring causing the problem.

Has anyone else had anything similar and what was it found to be?

Regards,

Paul

Edited by WestSwan

Shoulder pain you are describing sounds similar to what I have if I eat to fast. I’m also 9 months out. My surgeon said it was gas pain combined with reflux from eating to fast. Whenever this happens I take some gas-x and use a hot water bottle to relieve the pain. Hope this helps.

Hello, have they checked your gallbladder?
What is a minimiser ring?

Hi Kris,

There has been no specific check of my gall bladder unless that is included in the barrage of blood tests that were done 6 months post surgery.

This explains what it is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6132784/

Here in Perth approximately half the surgeons are doing it. It isn't the "Lapband" There is no erosion or the like.

I'm just sick of the shoulder pain. Will ask the surgeon if there are any tests other than the endoscopy to determine what is causing it. I eat slowly and always keep to the cup limit. The pain is getting duller over time but always when I eat. Thanks Riva I will try the hot Water thing.

Pretty much all the hospitals are closed here just in case of a Convid 19 outbreak though 'elective' procedures and tests etc are starting to come back as we get close to zero new cases each day.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by WestSwan

Oh ok. Hadn’t heard of it here. I’m in Texas.
Glad it seems to be getting better!!

58 minutes ago, ronjsteele1 said:

it sounds like gas and reflux and eating too fast. If it’s improving over time, my guess is it will continue to improve.

Thank you perhaps it is related to gas and reflux. I will ask him about that.

I actually eat very slowly and annoy other family members doing so - they will get over it 🙂 Also pedantically stick to not a mouthful over the one cup limit my dietician imposed on me.

Hi! The shoulder pain post surgery is something I experienced as well. The drs office said it was likely post surgery gas.
It worsened in the evening, and faded during the day, like someone else mentioned. It took almost a year And a half to get it behind me.
I had / have a lapband and found it to be a rather common issue post surgery due to the phrenic nerve. Understand other wls can have this too. I recognize sometimes it can be eating too fast, however that’s the common go to...it’s gotta be something you / me/ we / Aren’t doing right.

When I found out this was more common than was not and brought it up to the office, the approach was - duh, of course it could be a nerve.

look up the nerve and become aware. I really hope it helps you get some clarity and comfort knowing it just might not be that you are “eating” too much, too fast, too soon, too late, not chewing well enough, ate something you shouldn’t have and all the other things that we tend to talk about. Best of luck to you.

On 4/21/2020 at 8:46 PM, WestSwan said:

Hello,

I had a banded sleeve gastrectomy 9 months ago which included the Minimiser Ring. I am now at my goal weight.

The day after the surgery when I took a Panadol tablet I had an immediate shooting pain in my left shoulder.

I would investigate a possible rotator cuff tear. Possible symptoms include:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotator+cuff+symptoms&oq=rotator+cuff+sy&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j69i57j0l5.9630j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've had surgery on both shoulders to repair the cuffs. Cuff repairs usually are less of a problem than bariatric surgery. Look at six to eight weeks rehab.

Thanks Duke. I am seeing a Physio for a different matter next week. Will get her to check out my shoulder as well