Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of pain after surgery and questions

Perhaps other people have asked these questions, but I am 2 days post band...

I am in pain even with meds, is that normal?

Can only sleep on couch upright or my stiches hurt so bad I cuss.

Water and food take a while to get down sometimes, is that normal?

Also, have been walking as much as I can and heating up my back with a heating pad which was lovely I slept for 4 hours straight.

Just let me know if you experienced these things and how long it took to feel better.

Thanks a head of time.

I'm also two days post op. I've found that taking extra strength Tylenol instead of the prescribed pain relievers keeps me from doing too much too soon, helps everything flow more easily (gas, BMs) and more quickly, and leads to an overall easier recovery. I don't think I've felt the stitches so much. I more feel an overall soreness across my middle. Try resting, drinking your fluids, and laying/sitting down with no less than 8 pillows all positioned to support the right places :(

Good Luck,

It might not be a bad idea to call your surgeon and talk with his nurse. She can reassure you and offer some more suggestions for pain control.

Everyone's pain threshold is different. what is bearable for one, may not be for another. I chose not to take ANY pain meds when I got home. they do wierd things to me. It didn't help, I got constipated and all the rest of the ugly stuff that goes along with it anyway. I had a cough when I got home. I got a bit congested in the hospital, and I tell you that hurt like hell. Try a body pillow. It helped me a lot. I had trouble getting up from the couch, but the rocker was VERY soothing. it's worth a try.

I was banded on 10-25-07 and know what you are going through, believe me it gets better.

Once the swelling goes down you will be able to drink more, sip slowly and make sure you do not get dehydrated.

It took me about 5 days to feel normal enough to where I wanted to get out and walk, that really sped up the healing process. I walked everyday twice a day, eventually by the third week I was up to 2 miles a day.

Walking helps get out the gas and helps you loose weight as well.

Hang in there and come here to get support if you need it.

Good Luck ........................

Ok my first response to you is if you are 2 days post op the only thing you should be consuming is liquids and are you sticking to the 4 ounce rule? There should be no food eating at this point. Yesterday because the chicken my fiance was cooking smelled so good I broke off a small piece and ate it and boy let me tell you what I experieced was pain. I do realize I was in pain because I was not suppose to be eating the chicken even tho it was a really small piece. I would definitely call my doctor regarding this pain. I read some of the other posts and it is true we all have a different threshold for pain. Today is 11/30 and my surgery was 11/28 so I too am 2 days post op my prescription is sitting next to my bed right now I will go and fill it today not because I need it but just in case in the next few days I do. I have had what some would call discomfort but no real pain. The only time I feel pain is when I go from a lying or sitting postion bending hurts a little but as soon as I am done it subsides rather quickly. I really think you should run this by your doctor maybe there is something stronger he can give you. I know my dr prescribed Tylenol 3 and that was based on my level of pain maybe you need something a tad bit stronger. (I do hope you feel better we are all here for support)

I had my surgery Monday 11/26 and my problem is the energy. I don't have any. sleeping is still a problem but i've been reading the threads and it looks like that changes after a few weeks. I haven't taken any pain meds but have the liquid tylenol just in case i need it. The gas pains were only bad on day 3 & 4 for me so that will get better. Good Luck.

I'm one day post-op and was really surprised by how much pain I was in last night and today. Felt great at the hospital but the ride home seems like everything got scrunched up into my diaphragm and I've felt nothing but extreme soreness since, even with the medication.

Talked with my doc this morning and she suggested taking the meds every 3 hrs instead of 4 and walking more. She told me to call her back if this didnt work.

Just general soreness (bigtime) across the middle for me too. Fortunately no gas pain or problems getting liquids down. That's all been really easy.

By the end of the first week, I started feeling like my old self. It was much easier to sleep upright at first though. My reclining sofa and I became one! LOL! My whole body ached--I think it was the effect of the anesthesia. My son kept making me laugh which really hurt (helps to press a pillow against your stomach--same thing when you ride in a car). I only took Tylenol for the first few days, but I have a very high threshold for pain.

Walking is great for keeping your blood flowing and it helps relieve gas pains--take Gas-X if needed. It works really well!

Be sure to follow your post-op diet instructions well so your stomach has time to heal.

If you are concerned that you are in too much pain, check in with your doctor's office. They are there to help you!

I hope you feel better soon!

All..I was banded on 11/20. I too slept in an upright position for 9 days with a heating pad. Laying down was o.k., but getting up was horrible. It took me 8 days to get off my pain meds. I wasnt in pain, but I had major discomfort. I also just started on day 9 to have the energy to do my everyday choirs around the house, etc. I am sure everyone is different. If you follow the rules, take your Vitamins, follow the diet and walk as instructed...everything will be fine. At day 11 I feel "almost" back to normal. Each day is better..hang in there. I have also lost 10.6 pounds already, but find my appetite is starting to get bigger and that scares me a bit?!

One thing that surprises me about people's reaction to the operation is that so many do not seem to expect any pain. Is this because those people have had no experience with previous operations? I have had several operations and I know that, while some were definitely worse than others, there is no way that a surgeon can cut into your flesh, mess around with your insides and then sew you closed without some form of pain.

Pain medication only works so far, and I think many people don't realise that for the first 12-24 hours after any surgery, the anasthetic and pain killers given in hospital are cushioning the pain effect to a high degree. These wear off at the same time as the pain factor is lessening due to healing, however, it is often on day 2 or 3 after surgery that the most pain is felt.

I am due to be banded in 12 days and I am fully expecting pain to be a part of this - that is a price I am willing to pay. If the price turns out to be less than expected, that's great! I'll have gotten a bargain! If it hurts more than expected, that will be a bummer but I've had some pretty painful operations and have a fair idea of what to expect.

I don't get how some people can expect to have serious surgery and walk away from it pain-free.

I expected pain, I think we are all just sharing what we are feeling to make sure it is normal. I have not had surgery before and did expect pain for sure afterwards, but sometimes you are reassured when others are feeling the same things as yourself.

Fair enough, I understand the need for reassurance about what is and isn't normal. My answer would be that pain on days 2 to 4 after ANY operation is normal. My surgeon likened it to the pain felt after a gall bladder operation, which is to say it would be more than that I felt when having surgery to attempt to repair my fallopian tubes (upper abdominal surgery is apparently more painful than lower abdominal surgery), but considerably less than that felt when I had my toes reattached after being cut off.

Sometimes you don't even have to go through a previous surgery to know it's gonna hurt! My high threshold for pain comes from my OB trying to induce labor for a week before my son was born, then going through 28 hours of hard labor once my Water finally broke on its own. Anything I've gone through since then has been a complete walk in the park in comparison! LOL! :faint:

I have to admit I was surprised by the pain...for the simple fact that I never thought about it. When someone drills 5 holes in your stomach, it's going to hurt afterwards! But it just never crossed my mind until the surgery was over and there it was! It hurt pretty bad for a couple of days but every day it was better. I found that keeping a small pillow pressed to my stomach while I walked helped alot.