Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering WHY I did it!

Hello all:

I underwent gastric sleeve surgery on February 26, 2020 so I'm just about 4.5 weeks out. I'm following diet rules to the letter and ingesting at least 60 ounces of Fluid daily. I have lost 13 pounds in the 4.5 weeks. I read about others who have lost 24 or so in the same time period. I don't know what earthly good going through holy hell with the surgery did. I asked my surgeon if she was successful in removing most of my stomach and she said she was certain that she did. I average about 600 - 700 calories daily. The only positive thing I can think of about the surgery is that I cannot eat TOO much. I did that once and I suffered. Still wondering why. It was terribly painful, and I had a lot of nausea. Don't know if it was worth it.

Your head is messing with you! That will go away, once you get the hang of this and your new life and being healthy You will never second guess yourself!

Option one: Stay the way you were obese, and you will die and along the way deal with disease and be miserable

Option two: Get the surgery, change my life, live longer, less chance of disease. and be Happy!

You can always go back to option one, but i think you should choose two.

Live the dream enjoy the journey! Be patient it is a journey not a sprint

2 minutes ago, IAmGrace said:

Hello all:

I underwent gastric sleeve surgery on February 26, 2020 so I'm just about 4.5 weeks out. I'm following diet rules to the letter and ingesting at least 60 ounces of Fluid daily. I have lost 13 pounds in the 4.5 weeks. I read about others who have lost 24 or so in the same time period. I don't know what earthly good going through holy hell with the surgery did. I asked my surgeon if she was successful in removing most of my stomach and she said she was certain that she did. I average about 600 - 700 calories daily. The only positive thing I can think of about the surgery is that I cannot eat TOO much. I did that once and I suffered. Still wondering why. It was terribly painful, and I had a lot of nausea. Don't know if it was worth it.

This is probably the only issue with your WLS right now.

Every journey is highly individualize and results will vary wildly.

*Try* as hard as you can, not comparing yourself to others...

1276877034_7753-Theodore-Roosevelt-Quote-Comparison-is-the-thief-of-joy(1).thumb.jpg.79e92250fe3f977acaffb22961c556a2.jpg

And you deserve to be happy with your accomplishments ❤

Hi Grace, I totally understand! But we have to be patient and take things with a grain of salt. For instance, my profile shows a 21lb loss. But 12 of those were pre WLS, so in 2.5 weeks that’s only a 9lb loss, not 21. I get why they suggest we not compare ourselves to others, because we cannot see the entire story.

During my post op I mentioned to surgeon that I wasn’t losing as much as others...he cited pre op WL often results in a slower early post op loss as the body wants to preserve itself, but being patient, following the program, we will lose! Also, you and I Grace are a tad bit older than some, and our metabolism doesn’t kick it like in our 30’s, 40’s, even 50’s!

So this morning I said to myself, “Myself? Yea, a lot of work, angst, etc. for 21 measly pounds.” BUT, I have NEVER been able to lose 21lbs before so WHAT A VICTORY! Gracie, we may be slightly slower in losing, but perhaps our skin will benefit from the pause and not need surgery. Surgeon also cited those with a higher starting BMI will usually lose much faster.

You and I had this vision of pounds seemingly effortlessly, rapidly melting away! It’s happening! We just have to envision it melting away until we can see. Love and Hugs!

Hi Lily:

I've been wondering how you are doing! So nice to hear from you. :) Last time we talked you were suffering from some Constipation. I have had some of that too. Seems to have resolved with some changes in what I eat. Many thanks for responding (so nicely) to my post.

Best to you and yours!

@IAmGrace I’m not an expert at this but from what I’ve gathered is that people who weighed more prior to surgery lose more at first. Now I don’t know for sure but. My start weight on 10/7/19 was 256.6. Surgery date of 3/3/20 I was 230. Today I 215.8. I’ve noticed people 300+ seem to have more weight loss at first. I’m not sure what your weight was / is, but it’s working! I’m down 15 pounds in 4 weeks! It took me 5 months to lose 26. I don’t lose weight every day, it’s more like every 3 to 4 days a drop a pound. But I’ll take it! Also I got into a pair of pants yestersay I haven’t been able to wear since 2017. Whoop whoop!!
We Just keep doing the right thing and it will pay off for all of us!

Edited by CammyC

Thanks, Grace😊. Constipation is still a challenge—but figuring it out. Surgeon suggested Benefiber Clear and Miralax daily until regular, also add in a docusate sodium (colace) if need be. I was using psyllium Fiber before WLS- he said avoid it because of the grit gumming things up, stick with Benefiber Clear. He also prefers Miralax over Milk of Mag because it is non stimulating. He also said at times when things seem REALLY difficult, address it additionally with a suppository or fleet enema so you’re working it from both ends.

Glad to hear you are balancing out with this area, too. We walk a mile and a half each morning...I know that’s not much, but for now, with very low caloric intake, it’s about all I am up for 2.5 weeks out. Stay in touch!😃

Thank you for your response to my post Cammy. It made a lot of sense and was very helpful. I've been getting discouraged but folks on here are great and have helped a lot. Yes, I don't have THAT MUCH to lose and I think it makes a difference.

Best to you and yours

You’re very welcome, Grace! I was so discouraged at first when people were saying that had lost like 16 pounds in a week. I was like what the heck!! But I saw in their profiles they started out with much more weight to lose, so I did like Taylor sang and calmed down. Lol 😂

2 hours ago, IAmGrace said:

Hello all:

Hey I am going through the same thing!! I also had my sleeve feb 26 and I’ve only lost 13lbs since the surgery. I know I’m not getting in enough Water but I am getting in enough Protein and eating between 700-800 calories a day also. Going for walks most days but it’s hard when hubby isn’t home because I have 3 kids (now home 24/7) and can’t fit them all in the stroller. So if I do go with them it’s more of a saunter. Now for some reason my back is also KILLING me. Not sure if I strained it picking up one of my kids or it’s something else... but it sucks. I hope we both start seeing an improvement soon! It’s very discouraging.

most people lose 15-25 lbs the first month. Yes some lose more and some lose less, but the majority seem to lose somewhere in that range. So you're absolutely normal! I lost 16 lbs the first month, if that makes you feel any better. And I ended up losing 100% of my excess weight, so...

Hello Grace! I hope you are weathering our quarantine as well as you possibly can. I am also losing sloooowly, but I am thrilled with losing it at all! I had my surgery on February 10th, and I weighed 248 that day. I am now just a smidge under 228; so 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I have occasionally lost 3 pounds on the first week of a diet, maybe here and there throughout a diet, but averaging nearly 3 pounds a week feels pretty good to me!

I am starting to feel a lot more energy, and as the days get longer and a bit warmer, I'm looking forward to taking longer walks in the days ahead. So many people out walking about with the quarantine on, I hope they don't close the parks.

Stay in touch! I enjoy reading about everyone's journey.

So good to hear from you Lisa. Yes, I'm quite frustrated because I feel that with the amount I'm eating I could lose weight without having surgery. I'm averaging 600 - 700 calories daily. I could eat everything in the house some days and I think I could fit it in. I don't feel like my stomach capacity has changed at all but my surgeon says she removed 85% of it!

Frustrated in Massachusetts LOL

Grace

1 hour ago, IAmGrace said:

SI'm quite frustrated because I feel that with the amount I'm eating I could lose weight without having surgery. I'm averaging 600 - 700 calories daily.

yes, you could - but most people would have a really hard time eating 600-700 calories a day for several months if they didn't have surgery. No way I could have.

My sister and I are dieting together. I had a gastric sleeve performed on February 26.

My sister did not have weight loss surgery.

We are both ingesting approximately 600-700 calories per day.

We are losing at the same rate.

Go figure.

Grace