Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect from my surgery consult?

I have my surgery consult next week ( as long as they don't cancel) and I am wondering what to expect? Anything I should be sure to ask the surgeon? I am hoping for the sleeve procedure. Thanks

I'd be asking for their results, my doctor tracks patients for 5 years after surgery and has great data on weight loss/ regain over time. Ask what their personal complication rate is, and how it compares to the average for your locality/ worldwide. Ask about their support services, my surgeons office do support for 5 years with nutrition, exercise and psych (if needed). They also have a "back on track" programme for people who find they are regaining weight within 5 years. I can't believe how many people choose surgeons that have zero follow up.

Ask how much time you'll need off work, when you can start exercising again, all surgeons seem to have different expectations on these factors.

This is a journey and a whole new life! So ask him what is going to happen to you? What is the plan? What is the after surgery support you provide?

With this site you have all the information you will ever need, Now its up to the Doc to do the procedure and you to get set up and ready to rumble.

Welcome to the group and ask away

Aj

I'd ask if they have a nutritionist as part of the program and what their involvement will be. I found it helpful to meet with one several times and have a nutrition plan for before and after surgery. I also can call her if I have questions or (hope this never happens!) regain weight. Some people seem to leave the surgery with a solid nutrition plan and some people seem like they didn't receive sufficient info.

I also wanted to know where my doctor went to school, did her residency, how many of the procedures she had done, and which she recommended for me. I ❤️ her.