Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 15 days post op and decided to ride my bike a little with my dog running beside me. It lasted about 20 mins. How long after surgery were you guys released to excercise? I was exhausted afterward but it was such fun. Just curious about others experiences.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I am 15 days post op and decided to ride my bike a little with my dog running beside me. It lasted about 20 mins. How long after surgery were you guys released to excercise? I was exhausted afterward but it was such fun. Just curious about others experiences.

My surgeon released me to the gym and weights at 2 weeks but everyone is different and I think a lot depends on the shape you wee in before and how well you handled surgery and recovery! Good work today!

It definitely took me a few weeks if slowly and steady increasing endurance. And of course now we're all stuck in!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's frustrating. I really looked forward to excercise classes and having more energy for activities and now we are limited. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

I’ve been moderately walking and my surgeon also released a at two weeks to exercise.

8 hours ago, BadWolfGirl said:

My surgeon released me to the gym and weights at 2 weeks but everyone is different and I think a lot depends on the shape you wee in before and how well you handled surgery and recovery!

Wow. I have 6 weeks of restriction. No more lifting than 5 kg (e. g. for grocery shopping). However, I have to admit, using the abdominal muscles really does still hurt a little bit, so... plus I'm afraid it will hurt the hiatoplastic if there is too much pressure into the abdomen so I'll go with the 6 week restriction regarding the abdominal wall.

Wow. I have 6 weeks of restriction. No more lifting than 5 kg (e. g. for grocery shopping). However, I have to admit, using the abdominal muscles really does still hurt a little bit, so... plus I'm afraid it will hurt the hiatoplastic if there is too much pressure into the abdomen so I'll go with the 6 week restriction regarding the abdominal wall.

Yup like I said everyone is different! I had no abdominal pain after 3 days and even that was minimal. I left my RNY surgery the day after like I never had surgery. I'm very lucky. He said i could use the weight machines, knowing I couldn't do barbell work any longer due to three wrist reconstructions I had. I was a competitive lifter before so I think being in good shape before (despite some extra weight) helped me have a very easy recovery.

Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm, surgeons often recommend the 6 weeks to people who had abdominal surgery to minimize the possibility of hernia when it comes to the incisions. It's not WLS related. Maybe it's a German surgical guideline thing. I can remember vaguely having learnt about the 5 kg rule myself years ago.

I'm also always surprised how soon patients are discharged after surgery. In Germany 5th post-op day is pretty standard. Maybe a day sooner if the patient presses for it.

Edited by summerset

Hmmmmm, surgeons often recommend the 6 weeks to people who had abdominal surgery to minimize the possibility of hernia when it comes to the incisions. It's not WLS related. Maybe it's a German surgical guideline thing. I can remember vaguely having learnt about the 5 kg rule myself years ago.
I'm also always surprised how soon patients are discharged after surgery. In Germany 5th post-op day is pretty standard. Maybe a day sooner if the patient presses for it.

Yeah I know guidelines are different for so many things during these surgeries. Obviously I recommend everyone follow what their surgeon said. I definitely didn't push too hard too soon. I did have the calorie reserve even I wanted to.

I think you are doing GREAT!!!

I'm 3 months post OP, and just started exercising this month. The first 2 months, I felt like all I did was take naps! LOL!! Then about 3 weeks ago my energy finally came back, and I feel like a new person!!

My surgeon said I could swim after 3 weeks and lift weights after 4 weeks. From week 1-week 4 I should walk as much as I could.

I gotta be honest with you. I was operated on a tuesday and went to work on thursday same week without telling a soul what I had done. After work I was down right exhausted, and I didn't do much other than passing out. However I noticed after just a week that it was much, much easier to walk. My feet didn't hurt, mu back didn't hurt, I didn't go windy by going up some stairs etc.

I tried working out at the mark of week 4, totally motivated to do this ****. By that time most of the exhausting had gone away. But!! I went for a session (I am a power lifter) and realised quickly that I was not capable of doing it. Kept burping when drinking Water, and burping when lifting etc. In addition to get dizzy during a lift. So I waited 2 more weeks and tried again, then it was a little better - so I kept on going in hopes of it just correcting itself along the way. And it did.