Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona delaying weight loss surgery dates? Anyone?

47 minutes ago, Mello1 said:

I am aware of where it came from, but that wasn’t the name of it, that’s all I’m saying. But the situation is serious due to a lack of testing. That’s driving the fear.

What is driving fear is ignorance and people reacting on emotion rather than facts.

50 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I could, seeing how they want me in on monday not on march 31th to do something that is more urgent, because they don't know when full lockdown of hospitals will occur. Doubt they do this if they don't have any insight as to what is about to happen. This isn't just Norway.

March 31 is weeks away not days. If health officials are smart they will admit only the most impacted and send the rest back home to isolate for two weeks. For 97% of those who are infected, it will be a mild to moderate version of respiratory flu. There probably will be rationing of care, but not in days, more likely weeks or a month or two.

Thinking of you all with your upcoming Surgeries! My initial surgery date was postponed two months due to insurance requirements. I know the feeling...but it will happen and hopefully when scheduled! Good luck to you all.

I'm supposed to have surgery in 12 days. I'm already on day 4 of the liquid diet cause they started me a bit early. I don't want to keep doing this if I can't have surgery on the 26th. There are the patients in isolation at the hospital I will be going to, all 70+ in age, but that has 2 care facilities now on quarantine which Kirkland/Seattle has shown to be a hotbed due to their vulnerability.

I have no idea if my surgery will be canceled but I have a nutritionist class on Monday, so I plan to ask and contact the surgeons office as well. The hospital has already said no visitors for patients, though, so if my surgery happens I will be going it alone until I am discharged.

I have doubts you'll get the surgery at this point. The reason why is because they are closing down all un-emergency surgery step by step. 

This only applies to states/regions with high number of active cases at the time of your scheduled surgery. Example: My state has only 3 cases right now. That number could expand in next few weeks but makes no sense to cancel any elective surgeries right now, So if your hospital is in Seattle, New York City, Ohip, and areas of California, cancelation is probable, But regions with very few cases would not need to cancel yet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

23 hours ago, Uomograsso said:

Currently numbers of cases in the "non-critical" states aren't accurate because most of those states don't have access to tests due to a failure in our administration. Hopefully that will be changing very soon. But my guess is once tests and results are readily available to all, the numbers will be scary. On a personal front I'm frustrated because it seems all my prep and process has halted and the plan for my surgery before the Summer is ruined which means waiting until Fall due to large Summer projects for work. I know everyone will be affected in many ways. I was just thinking about how it would have been a perfect time to "lie low" which recovering and getting used to how the new me will handle eating.

JessicaMNCat I’m in the same boat; my date is this Friday March 20th. I haven’t heard anything yet and fortunately am in a more rural area so if cancellations do become a reality I think it will hit us later... but you never know.

I am also in a rural area of southwest Virginia. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Yeah, it's a huge bummer. Maybe it's selfish, but I don't know. Many (most?) of us who are having this surgery really need it, and some of us have been waiting for a long time to get it. Many of us have serious health conditions and are counting on the surgery to help us lose enough weight to alleviate these conditions. Our health depends on it. Our lives could depend on it.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I was hoping for mid-July. I have a big work event from mid-October through the end of November, so I need to be fully recovered from surgery by then. If I get delayed more than about 6 weeks, I'm not going to be able to get the surgery in 2020, and that will also be a major financial blow.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:21 PM, Uomograsso said:

It originated in Wuhan China. Historically flu strains are named after their place of origin. Hence Wuhan virus. More accurately it is Wuhan coronavirus.

P.S. Part of the logic of naming the virus "COVID-19" and not "Wuhan virus" was specifically to avoid implicating a place or culture. The point was to prevent racist reactions that could result from associating the virus with a certain group of people.

Mine is scheduled for Wednesday the 18th. Praying it’s not cancelled. I don’t know if I could handle doing the liquids all over again!

I have been waiting for insurance approval. It has been almost 2 weeks since I have heard from the case manager / nurse. I really want to get my appointment to pick up my Optifast . Really want my surgery date!!!

I wouldn't consider wls an elective surgery. Once you have medical necessity proven for insurance approval and a surgery date you most likely will get the surgery. Wouldn't be surprised if they do testing just before of course.

I’m scheduled for 3/30. Start liquid prep on 3/16. My surgeon said it’s a chance, so I’m holding my breath... really hate to get through the liquid prep only to be cancelled at the last minute.