Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have complications post op

8 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I'm pretty much okay. However the EOS won't go away. It's an immune disorder and allergic inflammatory disease. I know one of the triggers is my allergy to high fructose corn Syrup so I avoid that and that's helped a lot with stricture issues, but the other triggers are seasonal allergies and things they can't pinpoint. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that the stricture has gotten worse as I currently can't swallow pills after I choked on a Multivitamin -_-" So I'm stuck taking chewables for the foreseeable future until I can have my throat stretched again. As for eating... due to my EOS I have the doctors permission to keep liquid on hand in case I choke. I, unfortunately, need it for at least one meal a day as food gets stuck. Other than that I've been fine though. I figured the EOS would be an issue, but it's not been as bad as I thought. Once a day is better than every time I eat. It's usually lunch or dinner that I have issues though yesterday it was my evening snack. I haven't had any vomiting issues (blood or otherwise) since the hospital.

@NovaLuna your awesome I would freak out If I choked on food ... my anxiety works up.. so glad you are okay..

Thank You! And the first time it happened I did freak out lol. It was back in 2015 and I choked on rice. I tried to make myself vomit... it didn't work. I tried to drink something and discovered I couldn't swallow the Fluid and had to spit it back up. I panicked and was crying and the ER doc had to give me Valium to calm me down lol. I just got used to it after a while. I've had my throat stretched twice and I need it again, but will have to wait until I'm more healed from this surgery before the doctor will even think about doing it. It's becoming more commonly diagnosed lately. People are developing allergies and this is the way their bodies are responding. It's been misdiagnosed as GERD for many people because the can look similar, however EOS is caused by eosinophils (white blood cells) which think your body is under attack and so they multiply, which creates the stricture and causes the choking.

Sorry for the word vomit lol

14 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

Thank You! And the first time it happened I did freak out lol. It was back in 2015 and I choked on rice. I tried to make myself vomit... it didn't work. I tried to drink something and discovered I couldn't swallow the Fluid and had to spit it back up. I panicked and was crying and the ER doc had to give me Valium to calm me down lol. I just got used to it after a while. I've had my throat stretched twice and I need it again, but will have to wait until I'm more healed from this surgery before the doctor will even think about doing it. It's becoming more commonly diagnosed lately. People are developing allergies and this is the way their bodies are responding. It's been misdiagnosed as GERD for many people because the can look similar, however EOS is caused by eosinophils (white blood cells) which think your body is under attack and so they multiply, which creates the stricture and causes the choking.

Sorry for the word vomit lol

@NovaLuna i never new this condition existed thank u for letting me know.. hope I dont get this at any point.

I also had signs of EO when the doc found my ulcer. Although the test did not demonstrate a high enough eosinophilic count to actually call it EO, the changes in the esophagus sure looked that way. And those abnormal striations were NOT there when I had my preop endoscope. The only thing that was dramatically added to my diet post op was whey Protein. Doc said that sometimes people do have allergic tissue reactions to whey, so I stopped the whey and all dairy. A lot of my bloating and gas issues resolved almost immediately. I am very hopeful that my next scope in April will show this to be completely resolved. Fortunately for me, it was a no brainer as to what food was the culprit, and elimination was easy. I just switched to pea Protein Powder, Ripple milk (pea protein), soy or oat yogurt.

20 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I had bypass and a hiatal hernia repair. I think total time was about 3 hours. I was walking as soon as I could get out of bed. I was up to 10,000 steps by day 7. Even so, I developed 3 blood clots in my left leg and had to go on a blood thinner for 3 months. At 6 months, I developed an ulcer, even though I do not drink any alcohol at all, do not drink coffee or any caffeinated drinks or soda, and eat a very clean diet. It just happened. But it is all under control now with omeprazole and I go back in 3 weeks for another scope. Then I will be off the omeprazole, hopefully.

Still, I do not regret the surgery at all. My little complications are nothing compared to the life I was literally losing to obesity. WLS was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

OMG my surgeon put me on shots for 2 weeks after surgery and they had me get those leg squishier things to use when I was sitting or lying in bed for more than 2-3 hours, which was like all the time at first. I was in a lot of pain so I wasn't walking as much as you were. Wow that's awesome you did so much so fast.

2 minutes ago, Ostflicka said:

OMG my surgeon put me on shots for 2 weeks after surgery and they had me get those leg squishier things to use when I was sitting or lying in bed for more than 2-3 hours, which was like all the time at first. I was in a lot of pain so I wasn't walking as much as you were. Wow that's awesome you did so much so fast.

Well , if I ever have more surgeries, I automatically get put on blood thinners. It's one of the reasons I won't have plastics - not worth the risk for an elective procedure. (That's just me, because of my history.)

I had the sleeve done in Mexico in 2017 and am now ten days post op on a revision to bypass (which I got done in Estonia). I had no problems with either and in fact I think I’m doing much better this time around. Gas pain gone in a day, all scars healing very rapidly, I’ve been walking over 10,000 steps a day since day three post op (sometimes over 20000), and haven’t had any food issues yet (still on liquids/purées) v

However, I’ve been on this site long enough to know that it’s not the norm. It’s kind of strange, since I don’t do well with pain in my everyday life, but seem to recover quickly from surgeries.