Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am day 4 post gastric sleeve and I am feeling exhausted... I have Hr in the low 100 and feel a bit sob.... just started full liquids today... Just wondering if any of you experienced this. I’m probably starting to get a bit dehydrated and should up my fluids but it’s been challenging to drink 64oz... Any thought/ experience?

Fatigue is normal, but you do need to keep those fluids up. A high HR is definitely a sign of dehydration. Fluid intake is your most important goal right now. You don't want to end up in the ER. Just keep sip, sip, sipping and measure it all so you know how much you are actually getting in. You just have to do it. Walking and sipping. Those are the only things you need to focus on this week.

You are absolutely right! I know that I’m heading down dehydration road.... I just have to do it... 👍

23 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Fatigue is normal, but you do need to keep those fluids up. A high HR is definitely a sign of dehydration. Fluid intake is your most important goal right now. You don't want to end up in the ER. Just keep sip, sip, sipping and measure it all so you know how much you are actually getting in. You just have to do it. Walking and sipping. Those are the only things you need to focus on this week.

Great advice - spot on.

Just met with my surgical team -- they said that dehydration was the most common problem they have to deal with. Get a timer, drink those fluids!!!!!

First few weeks I carried a cup of Water everywhere I went. I even had one on my nightstand next to my bed so I could sip when I woke up in the middle of the night. Sip, sip, sip all day long and soon it will become a habit and get easier to get your fluids in.

Just keep sipping and sipping. It's no fun going to the ER for dehydration.

It'll get easier as you go- you're only four days out, but it does get easier every day. Just keep trying to get as much Water in as you can.

I hope you feel better soon, hon. Hang in there.

Had my sleeve on March 4th 2020.. they also fixed a hiatal hernia. I feel exhausted. Still have allot of discomfort in my lower chest when I drink. It’s hard to take in that much liquid but I do it..

If they sent you home with the little machine you blow into, keep that up! SOB not something to mess with. I ended up having pleurisy 3 weeks out.

I have my sleeve on March 3rd and I had a couple of days of fatigue and weakness. My surgeon advised me to come into his office to get some fluids once I did that I felt like I was ahead of the battle of dehydration. Day 7 I feel 90% better. Just keep sipping as much as you can. I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all for your encouragement... Increasing my fluids is something that I know I have to do... I’ve been sipping but so far have not been able to do a full 64oz... just going to be more intentional with the sipping set that as my goal. 64oz minimum...

Your fluids like broth also count. Your urine should be very light yellow.

Get one of those "Adult sippy cups" and fill it with cool Water, carry it everywhere.
I have a bunch of "contigo" insulated water bottles, I think I got them from costco. You can lock them, they don't leak and you always have fresh water with you.
Sip, sip, sip!
You can no longer chug a nice tall glass of water.
Unless you like it shooting out your nose!!

I’m Definitely going to do that... I have to buy cucumbers and mint and strawberries to infuse my Water

That's a nice combo but that works better with large mouth plastic drink holders that you can wash better (but they can leak@). For the metal, insulated lockable ones I find Water only and a couple of ice cubes leaves the cup more functional for longer.