Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I V infiltration... OUCH!

I was banded on Monday the 19th of November. I guess it went pretty good. I was in surgery about 2.25 hours. But that night when I was fully awake and the morphine was wearing off, I noticed my arm was sore. I looked and my hand looked like a rubber glove filled with air. :eek:I called the nurse immediately. My IV had punctured my vien and the Fluid was dripping directly into my arm. I was somewhat alarmed as this was the second bag after surgery. they moved it to my hand. No luck. The vien blew. Third try on my opposite forearm. It finally worked. Well, it's now 9 days post op and my arm still hurts as bad as it did in the hospital. About 90% of the swelling is now gone, but I have blotchy bruises all over my forearm. My wrist is VERY sore. what's up with this? What's wrong? the doctor told me to do warm compresses and keep arm elevated. I did and it still hurts. Is this normal???????? :confused:Is there danger of permanent damage? I'm a little freaked out.

Gas was at a minimum. I had a few moments of discomfort but nothiing big. I am having trouble regulating my body temperature. I get SO COLD. Normally, I'm the one that's always hot and turning down the AC. A few times I was literally shivering. Fever of only 99 two days after surgery, but not after that, so it isn't fever. Hunger is at a minimum. I've only been truly hungry maybe twice. thanksgiving was three days post op and it didn't bother me a bit. I even sat at the table with my Soup. It didn't bother me until I saw my son eat a turkey sandwhich for a 10:00 pm snack. (my favorite food) so I went to bed and pouted. Port pain comes and goes. I also have a wierd pain under my ribs. I think it's my band, but not sure. I also have spasms in the same area. At first I thought it was stomach muscles, but I don't think so. Wierd. I got terrible Constipation on day 6. Doctor prescribed milk of magnesia. YUCK! I was so miserable. Then once it took effect I had terrible diarreah for two days. Double yuck. got hemerrhoids out of the deal. :omg:Yippee!!! Actually, I think this and the infiltration of my arm is worse that the surgery sites. Other than that, I am A okay. I'm alive and on my way to a thinner me. As of this morning I have lost 7 pounds!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!:whoo: I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetner and have avoided it for years. It gives me headaches and I don't like what it does to your body. Looking forward to real food so I don't have to eat it anymore. Sweets will not be my problem. Had the shakes this morning. What's up with that??? Would love to get some comments here...... thanks.

Sorry about the IV thing. That does happen sometimes (happened to me to, but not during the banding procedure). It is excruciatingly painful and takes a while to go down. Most of the rest of it just seems to be the body adjusting. Constipation and diarrhea. Yep....the body is going WHAAAAATTTT????? You just gotta roll with the punches. It will stabilize. You cannot expect to invade the body like this and come popping out on the other side in tip top shape. It takes adjustment, and it takes some weeks to get back. The shakes may have had to do with low blood sugar....keep a steady flow of Protein coming in to help avoid the shakes, weakness, nausea, etc. Except for the IV thing it actually sounds like you are doing well!

My IV had some issues to. They didn't put more Fluid in it and when it ran out it started sucking my blood out and into the IV! My hand hurt for a couple weeks after my surgery though, I'm sure your fine, but you can always call your surgeon and check with them

It's me again on the IV infiltration. the swelling is now totally gone, but even after 2 1/2 weeks, I still have a little pain in my wrist and up my forarm near my elbow. The veins in my wrist are also very puffed up and hard compared to my other arm. Is that damage??? Any nurses out there to help with this?

Happens all the time. Even when IV's are fine. Mine hurt for a month. They can also hurt after certain drugs are put in it undiluted. Compazine is one of them. I know why I have always diluted it.....hurt like heck....and painful and hard for 6 months. You can completly destroy veins....your body will just grow new ones. Not that I think yours is destroyed. But the pain and stuff is not desired but normal...it'll go away. Give it time.

Caresa RN ICU

Caresa,

Thanks for the medical information. I was starting to get scared. This makes me feel a little better. I know that there was potassium put in my IV bag. Will that cause the pain? It's so weird. I've had oodles of IV drips in my life and this has never happened. I've had veins roll and also blow, but never this.