Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 post op and can drink liquids so well it scares me

Hello,
I’m 3 days post op. I was sleeved 3/3. I am able to drink Water, broth and Protein Drinks with no problems at all. I don’t get full. I don’t get uncomfortable. I’m def trying to still sip but find myself drinking Water like I did before surgery—not gulping but def not sipping.
And I have not lost any weight, I’ve actually gained a couple of pounds since surgery. I’m kinda devastated by this. Does this mean the pouch was made too big or it failed? I’m so scared. I don’t know what to do. Does any of this sound normal?
I’ve been watching all the week one post op videos and people are talking about how it was so miserable but they are down like 16 pounds.
Now, day one and half a day two was pretty bad and it hurt to drink water but now it’s super easy and I’m up walking and feeling pretty dang good, but so worried due to how my tummy is not hurting and I’ve gained weight!

Hi Cammy. We are surgery twins! I also too can’t figure out how this site works. Haha. I am not any skinnier and liquids for down pretty easy. Well kind of. It feels like I drink them and they like go down and it the top of my tummy and then slowly slip into the tummy. And often with weird noises.
I managed to get a Protein Shake down slowly over an hour but couldn’t get a ramekin of chicken broth down. I wonder if we just have to pick our foods carefully from all the available types we have at the moment.

Twins because of same date 🎈

I don't think I ever had trouble drinking fluids - like you, I didn't gulp - but I didn't sip, either. I wouldn't worry about it. And you're not going to get full from them, either - fluids go right through you.

Another March 3rd here, Cammy C. You've probably gained weight from the IV meds, the gas that was used during your surgery, this is how my surgeon explained the temporary weight gain that would happen. I'm thankful that you are able to hydrate and at normal levels. My experience has been very similar to Mooki's, I was miserable the first 2 days. We've got this together, keep posting and working through the newness of our tools.

Another March 3rd here, Cammy C. You've probably gained weight from the IV meds, the gas that was used during your surgery, this is how my surgeon explained the temporary weight gain that would happen. I'm thankful that you are able to hydrate and at normal levels. My experience has been very similar to Mooki's, I was miserable the first 2 days. We've got this together, keep posting and working through the newness of our tools.

My surgery was 3/3 also. I've been able to meet my Protein and Water intake goals also. I've read that things change once we transition to regular foods in that we will be able to feel full.

Don’t weigh yourself for at least a week after surgery - it is often higher (5-10 pounds) than your pre-surgery weight because of the reasons listed above. Even if you can drink liquids easily, don’t let that fool you. First, your stomach is extremely scarred and healing, so it probably can’t tell you that you are overdoing it. Second, just because you can drink more, don’t. There’s a reason why we are given strict limits - it’s not only for our healing stomachs, but to get used to constantly measure/weigh our food so that we stay on track. My sleeve failed for that reason (I had my revision on 3/3) so I’m being extra careful now.

Hi guys just wondering how u all are doing? I’m tracking my food in my fitness pal so I know I’m not over eating but I swear I can already eat more than I thought. I haven’t hit the nausea issue at all and my friend who had the surgery used to get foamies if she ate too much. I am anxious that maybe I somehow already stretched my tummy.
I now understand too why people say it’s a tool not a solution.

The upside is that I no longer feel i can eat two main courses. I used to be so hungry all the time. I just am gonna have to put in the work I guess.

Keen to know how u all are feeling!!

@Mooki what foods are you eating and at what volumes?

I know there are a variety of post op guidelines with different timeframes for the food stages, but are you still on liquids?

Edited by Hop_Scotch

I appreciate all the responses! I’m day 6 now and I over did it on day 4–too much walking and my friends came to visit me. I was so weak when I woke up this morning, but I took my Vitamins and my mom gave me one of her Iron pills and Vitamin C and I took a B12 supplement and finally feeling better! I finally saw the scale down a little and it’s exciting! I am still on liquids. I am getting all my Water and Protein plus Gatorade zero and beef Bone Broth. I have my follow up appointment on Wednesday. I ordered th
a bariactric Vitamin with the full dowse of iron today on Amazon today and looking forward to that delivery. Good luck All! What an incredible journey we are on!

@mooki I’m feeling better today after I took my Vitamins and some Iron, Vitamin C and B12. It really helped bc I was so weak when I woke up this morning. How are you?

Hi Cammy and Hop Scotch.
I’m having two chewable vitamins a day and 1 litre of Water is the Max I’ve got down. They have me on soft foods already not just liquids. So for example last night I had 100g of salmon and cottage cheese over about 3 hours. Haha.

Basically anything puréed is fine.,...

I’m feeling pretty good today. I’ve been sleeping way less and so have gotten up and done an hour walk both mornings this week. Maybe this is the new me.

Oooh I haven’t heard of a Bariatric Vitamin. They told me that I was to start Vitamins in two weeks time. I’ll have a look at them!

Please let me know how you all are doing! I can’t figure out how to follow threads on this thing which is frustrating but I can see where I’ve replied. Haha so pls let me know!

@mooki I am giving up the app! I’m online now and it gives me notifications and such lol! I felt good when I woke up this morning. I tried milk yesterday 1% and it did not go well so I’m kinda anxious to try other full liquids. I bet purée phase is exciting!

I’ve been on purées since I left the hospital, but only eat them once or twice a day (yogurt, hummus, cottage cheese, purred fruits (like for babies/kids). It’s all been going well so far. In the beginning I ate a very specific amount as I didn’t want to hurt my stomach, but I have absentmindedly eaten an entire pot of yogurt (for example) and haven’t had any issues yet, which is kind of disappointing, since I really need to be more attentive to portion size, and am somewhat upset that the foods with sugar in them (yogurt, fruit) are not affecting me negatively, which is one thing I had hoped for by getting bypass. I know i shouldn’t be having any sugar, but here in Paris/Europe there aren’t a lot of high Protein foods that don’t have them (or high fat, like hummus). Anyway, once I’m back home I plan to be much more strict about what goes in.

I haven’t had foamies but I will say that if you are experiencing small burps or gurgles, that’s also an indication that you’ve had too much. I’ve had that a few times - it doesn’t hurt or seem serious, but it’s a good reminder to slow down and eat less. I tried my first Multivitamin yesterday but had some pain/weird feeling about an hour or two later, so I think I’ll wait another day or two before trying again.