Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Friendly Snacks

So! I am almost 8 weeks out, and eating pretty well. I have a boost glucose control with Protein Shake 4-5 times a week, and hit my Protein goals almost every day.

However, I am having trouble finding Snacks that I can have in between. Normally, I will do some peeled cucumber with laughing cow cheese or string cheese. I did find Ostrim turkey sticks that are pretty tasty and healthy, too, but that's pretty limiting.

I was wondering what other people do for snacks. I still can't eat beef (and no tuna- my stomach says NO!), but I was looking for good alternatives other than cheese that would be suitable for in between meal snacks. I have 1-2 a day so I can stay at 600 calories minimum.

Thanks! ❤️

My go to snack is pop corn and trail mixes and Nuts

Following. Also interested

Can you eat Peanut Butter? Eat a tablespoon slowly--it it delicious and has Protein.

salad, raw veggies, cooked veggies, Yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, chia pudding, eggs, nuts, nut butters, avocados, beef Jerky, soups....

...or whatever leftovers you have in the fridge from the meal you couldn't finish earlier, lol

I do a lot of beef/other meat sticks/cheese sticks. I also do the little snack bowls with nuts/cheese. I just buy a bunch of this stuff and put it in my cooler in the work fridge. I also like hummus, bean dip, fruits etc.

Can you not eat ANY beef? I did quite well with ground beef in some sort of broth (Lived on homemade chili a month post op). I still can't eat steak or roasts.

2 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

I do a lot of beef/other meat sticks/cheese sticks. I also do the little snack bowls with nuts/cheese. I just buy a bunch of this stuff and put it in my cooler in the work fridge. I also like hummus, bean dip, fruits etc.

Can you not eat ANY beef? I did quite well with ground beef in some sort of broth (Lived on homemade chili a month post op). I still can't eat steak or roasts.

I tried beef, but it makes me sick to my stomach unfortunately. It's why I do turkey sticks/jerky instead of beef. 😕 I use a lot of ground chicken and ground turkey, though.

What kinds of fruits can you have? All they told me is that I can eat like... berries with no skin 6 months after surgery.

11 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I tried beef, but it makes me sick to my stomach unfortunately. It's why I do turkey sticks/jerky instead of beef. 😕 I use a lot of ground chicken and ground turkey, though.

What kinds of fruits can you have? All they told me is that I can eat like... berries with no skin 6 months after surgery.

Ms.sss wrote above a GREAT go to list with lots of choices, in answer to your new question about fruit I would thinly slice a 1/4 banana to start (I eat a half) then put a smear of almond butter on each slice and savor, also I would peel apples, slice and and bake with a little Water and cinnamon covered in the oven, it's like warm apple pie filling. Now over 6 months out I can eat all fruits but those were my 2 starters

On 03/01/2020 at 06:59, ms.sss said:

salad, raw veggies, cooked veggies, Yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, chia pudding, eggs, nuts, nut butters, avocados, beef Jerky, soups....

...or whatever leftovers you have in the fridge from the meal you couldn't finish earlier, lol

Where do we find the chia pudding I have never had this but have seen pictures.

15 minutes ago, sarahSingh91 said:

Where do we find the chia pudding I have never had this but have seen pictures.

I think most of us make it ...

The recipe version I use has: chia seeds + cashew/almond milk + Protein Powder + vanilla extract + salt + sweetener

Muscle Milk 100 calorie shakes have been a favorite of mine lately.

Plain Greek yogurt.

Fiber One 90 calorie Protein Bars. I love these and all the different flavors.

Hard boiled eggs

20 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I was allowed to eat anything that didn't have too many little seeds (rasberries and such). I also struggled with fresh oranges because of all the fibrous layers. I had no trouble with things like broccoli/celery... but couldn't eat lettuce for the longest time. Honestly, I get fruits in best when I make a smoothie. I usually try to make a green smoothie with spinach and/or kale and add whatever frozen fruit mix I buy. I like the frozen fruits because it is easy to pick my portion size and not waste anything I don't want.

popcorn IS MY GO TO!!!!! Occasionally blueberry waffles.... Good luck to you...

On 3/1/2020 at 12:15 AM, Sammi_Katt said:

So! I am almost 8 weeks out, and eating pretty well. I have a boost glucose control with Protein Shake 4-5 times a week, and hit my Protein goals almost every day.

However, I am having trouble finding Snacks that I can have in between. Normally, I will do some peeled cucumber with laughing cow cheese or string cheese. I did find Ostrim turkey sticks that are pretty tasty and healthy, too, but that's pretty limiting.

I was wondering what other people do for Snacks. I still can't eat beef (and no tuna- my stomach says NO!), but I was looking for good alternatives other than cheese that would be suitable for in between meal snacks. I have 1-2 a day so I can stay at 600 calories minimum.

Thanks! ❤️

My first thought is are you logging your calorie intake daily? I have a grape, and as my chewable vitamins I take 3 times a day and they are fruit flavored I count that as a "treat". I take an Ensure plus for Protein, low sugar high protein, 4oz cottage cheese for lunch and 4oz of meat for dinner. Other than an occasional grape, a few almonds, Outshine bars, no sugar added, I do not eat between meals. I do have some caffeine-free coffee. If you're drinking 60 oz of liquids I don't think snacks are really needed. Usually one feels head hungry if you're thirsty. This is your "honeymoon" phase when hunger is at a minimum and weight loss at its best. Good luck with your journey.

6 hours ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

My first thought is are you logging your calorie intake daily? I have a grape, and as my chewable vitamins I take 3 times a day and they are fruit flavored I count that as a "treat". I take an Ensure plus for Protein, low sugar high Protein, 4oz cottage cheese for lunch and 4oz of meat for dinner. Other than an occasional grape, a few almonds, Outshine bars, no sugar added, I do not eat between meals. I do have some caffeine-free coffee. If you're drinking 60 oz of liquids I don't think Snacks are really needed. Usually one feels head hungry if you're thirsty. This is your "honeymoon" phase when hunger is at a minimum and weight loss at its best. Good luck with your journey.

I am getting between 72-96oz of Water at the moment. I do log my calorie intake and I'm hitting around 600 a day, even with snacks built in. I have Breakfast, a small snack, lunch, a small snack, and dinner, all while taking my Vitamins and drinking in between. Still haven't experienced actual "hunger" except when I went 7 hours without eating, and that wasn't hunger as I remember it.

Do you have to skin your grapes?

I'm also only eating about 2-3oz at most of food still. I get full off 2oz really easily.