Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories/Total Fat in regards to Proteins

Hello All!

I wasn't able to find a thread that had this in it - or maybe I wasn't looking for the right things.

I wanted to know what post op patients have been told is a good ration on foods when it comes to the Total Fat for the amount of Protein.

For example;

Calories - 160 / Total Fat - 13g / Protein - 11g

I'm a 6-month post op DS patient (previously had Lapband - but this was tech not a revision). Only 15 lbs away from goal so now i'm looking for ways to maintain.

Your fat requirements are going to be very different than mine as an RNY. I'd really want your RD or doc to tell me what ratios they want for their DS patients.

I know that your Protein reqs are also way diff than mine. For mine and most VSGs the loose rule of thumb for protein is 1g protein per every 10 calories. So if you have ideally a recipe with 160cals, it needs to have a minimum of 16 g protein to be a good protein bargain for the buck. Then beyond that the only rule they gave is no more than 5g sugar per serving/meal. Any other rule was individual from them and based on status and how we were doing with our diet, diet satisfaction, and if we were losing and/or maintaining and progressing well.

I had to be very low fat and low carb/low cal to lose. So I'm a big outlier.

I don't have an answer for you, but I notice that we both weigh the same and have the same goal. I just want to cheer you on! You are so close!!

This is for me a Male done by my Nutrioshiint so i may be to high for you - I am also working out alot

calories 945 per day

Fat calories less then 25 grams = about 110 calories ------ This is really hard to do one little oops and you are up

Protien 65 grams

Carbs 25 one day 50 the next day - This is because of the muscle building - FYI its not working

47 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

This is for me a Male done by my Nutrioshiint so i may be to high for you - I am also working out alot

calories 945 per day

Fat calories less then 25 grams = about 110 calories ------ This is really hard to do one little oops and you are up

Protien 65 grams

Carbs 25 one day 50 the next day - This is because of the muscle building - FYI its not working

That doesn’t compute:

25g fat x 9=225

65g pro x 4=260

25g carbs x 4=100

That’s only 585 on your low days. That seems really low for a guy at your stage?

On the low days is the not working out days - This is not for WLS it is for me working on muscle and toning I can not go over 1000 calories on even work out days! Dont forget this does not include 4 muscle shakes and smoothies also per day. This is just for my food

12 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

On the low days is the not working out days - This is not for WLS it is for me working on muscle and toning I can not go over 1000 calories on even work out days! Dont forget this does not include 4 muscle shakes and smoothies also per day. This is just for my food

Oh! That makes sense then!!

I don't think that you will find much in specific threads on this, as it can be quite individual.

First off - do you have a "traditional" BPD/DS, or the newer SIPS/SADI/"Loop DS"? I know Dr. Roslin does both, but that certainly plays into this.

If you have a BPD/DS, that specifically malabsorbs fats, more than the RNY or SIPS, so will have a somewhat different character. Some DS folks go on about how they "need" to have lots of butter, bacon and cream, but that's mostly an individual interpretation on their part rather than medical direction, though medically one doesn't have to worry much about low fat eating. My wife (DS class of '05) eats a lot less fat than many claim is "essential" yet gets along just fine. The main compromise is that too little fat can leave you constipated, while too much can leave oil slicks in the toilet (kind of a hardwired Xenical effect) and one needs to find the right compromise between the two, and that comes with experimenting. How the DS was done plays into it as well, as there can be substantial variations in how surgeons perform it - common channel length and how the rest of the intestines are split up.

Your best bet would be to check with Dr. Roslin's staff and see what they recommend and go from there, still keeping in mind that you may vary some from their "average" experience.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, RickM said:

I don't think that you will find much in specific threads on this, as it can be quite individual.

First off - do you have a "traditional" BPD/DS, or the newer SIPS/SADI/"Loop DS"? I know Dr. Roslin does both, but that certainly plays into this.

If you have a BPD/DS, that specifically malabsorbs fats, more than the RNY or SIPS, so will have a somewhat different character. Some DS folks go on about how they "need" to have lots of butter, bacon and cream, but that's mostly an individual interpretation on their part rather than medical direction, though medically one doesn't have to worry much about low fat eating. My wife (DS class of '05) eats a lot less fat than many claim is "essential" yet gets along just fine. The main compromise is that too little fat can leave you constipated, while too much can leave oil slicks in the toilet (kind of a hardwired Xenical effect) and one needs to find the right compromise between the two, and that comes with experimenting. How the DS was done plays into it as well, as there can be substantial variations in how surgeons perform it - common channel length and how the rest of the intestines are split up.

Your best bet would be to check with Dr. Roslin's staff and see what they recommend and go from there, still keeping in mind that you may vary some from their "average" experience.

@RickM I just love your posts! I wish you'd pop in an play more!! :D

On 2/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, RickM said:

Thanks Rick!

I had the SIPS. I see Roslin this week for my 6 month check up and was planning on asking. Thanks for your feedback - I appreciate it!