Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else not have a goal weight? Sometimes I'll be like oh 150 would be nice, but honestly at this point I just want to be less than 180 like I was when I thought I was fat 😂 Little did I know how fat I was gonna get 🙄

Well I did but....my surgeon didn't.

I had to kind of "force" him to give me a number lol.

He FINALLY said he'd be happy if I reached low 180's but that low 170's would be even better.

My personal happy range is 145-165 or a loose fitting size 8 (or Medium) whichever comes first :).

Edited by TheJuice202

I didn't have a goal weight my goal was to lose enough weight to have hip replacements and any more was a bonus.

My surgeon didn't give me one either. I'm sure they always give a higher number to make sure they have success with your procedure. I personally don't feel like setting a number for myself is beneficial and if anything it would make the whole process even more agonizing with weighing myself and discouraged if the weight doesn't fall off fast enough. I prefer just taking it day by day and not putting a ton of pressure on myself.

1 minute ago, jlb8080 said:

My surgeon didn't give me one either. I'm sure they always give a higher number to make sure they have success with your procedure. I personally don't feel like setting a number for myself is beneficial and if anything it would make the whole process even more agonizing with weighing myself and discouraged if the weight doesn't fall off fast enough. I prefer just taking it day by day and not putting a ton of pressure on myself.

I understand that. Personally my brain NEEDS a number to look forward to but to like you said not add too much pressure on myself I've made mini goals.

My first was 250, then 210, then my doctor's goal of 180, then my own of 165 and hopefully/eventually 145. Little baby steps.

@TheJuice202 that sounds smart. I'm only 10 weeks out so I have a long ways to go. I'm sure a lot of people need a number to keep pushing. The further along I go I feel like I may need to do the same thing to keep motivated! I've just always eaten pretty healthy.. so I know the weight will come off.

Mine also didn't give me one. I picked one that sounded healthy, but I'll take whatever I can get!

I have a final goal weight and I set a few goals for myself along the way. I'm not going to stress about it but I like to have something to shoot for to help keep me on track. I have a long way to go but I didn't put the weight on overnight and I know it won't come off overnight either.

I didn't have one set by my surgeon initially. Once I hit a certain BMI (28) they told me I was good to go.

I think I'm eternally grateful for this because there was very little pressure and I could focus on building a forever lifestyle I was happy with

I set myself a goal of 60kg as it was a weight I had been happy with in the past & my surgeon confirmed it was a sensible goal. Achieving mini goals (1/3 of the weight gone, 2/3 gone) was a great motivator too. Watching those numbers drop on the scales was amazing as was watching my BMI decrease.

I set my own goal as well. I wish I had set several smaller goals so I could Celebrate each loss more, but I also will set a new lower goal when I reach my first one.

I just let google pick mine. I took a approach i will stay on this journey to i feel healthy, I was not concerned about the number i was more concerned about getting healthy. I hit the goal Mr Google gave me and dropped below it.

Trust me when you get healthy and feel good the actual number does not matter anymore, It sure did as we were getting bigger and bigger.

I originally had a goal weight of 150. I'm 5'8. As I'm nearing my goal I realized 160 would be a little more realistic. The doctor told me that being a year out Im probably not likely to lose a lot more unless Im willing to diet or do something drastic like serious weight lifting. At this point Im a size 10 or 12 in pants and a large in tops and I look OK. I want to lose another 10 pounds because I still have some belly fat but really I'd be OK if I stayed at this weight. It would be nice to lose a little more and I will give it a shot but I sure look better than i did at almost 260!!

Edited by jasmineinmymind

My doctor gave one final goal & I thought lower. So I’m picking range within 15 lbs. But will be flexible with how I look & feel & listen to my body. But not focusing on that goal yet. Along the journey I give myself small achievable goals. Baby steps. Also since I was initially obsessed with scale & if didn’t move down I would be disappointed. So now I’m trying to weigh only 1x week.