Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve soon!! Feb 24th. Extremely scared

Hi!! I’m 29 and I’ve been dealing with my weight for the past 2-3 years (depression included). My BMI is 29.9 and my weight is 181 pounds, but my normal weight all my life had been 125 pounds. I’ve tried SO hard to get back in shape and it has not been posible. It really sucks for me to look in the mirror and see such a different person (it doesn’t help that people with unsolicited opinions tell me that me knees hurt because I’m fat, or the neighbor asking me “have you always been this big? or my mom “you don’t Try hard enough””....Anyways. My weight got to affect my mental health in the past year and I’m tired of hiding at home, crying, hating the mirror, hating the closet and the breakdowns in the morning because nothing fits, not seeing my family, friends and nobody in general. My husband suffers from seeing me suffer. He doesn’t even care if I lose weight or not. He only wants me to be happy again and smile like I used to when we met. This is so hard for me and can’t even begin to describe it. It’s been a never ending battle and I want to live again. Anyways (sorry for the long story, I think it’s the first time I write down how I feel about this), After long investigation I decided the gastric sleeve was the solution for me (the doctor is great and has performed 8.000 of these surgeries) and the surgery is goi to be on February 24th. but I am extremely scared of the surgery and scared of any type of complication during or after the surgery. I know the risks are less than 1% but I still panic thinking about it and everyday I wonder if I should cancel the surgery or go ahead. Also I’m scared the surgery won’t work because of my “low” BMI. I want to lose 55 pounds so I can reach my final goal of 125 pounds, but I’ve heard that people with higher BMIs lose a lot more. Haven’t really found or heard much testimonials of people with low BMI and their weight loss journey.
If anybody went through this or can help me in some way it’s very much appreciated.

thanks!!!

Edited by Ana1990

3 hours ago, Ana1990 said:

Hi!! I’m 29 and I’ve been dealing with my weight for the past 2-3 years (depression included). My BMI is 29.9 and my weight is 181 pounds, but my normal weight all my life had been 125 pounds. I’ve tried SO hard to get back in shape and it has not been posible. It really sucks for me to look in the mirror and see such a different person (it doesn’t help that people with unsolicited opinions tell me that me knees hurt because I’m fat, or the neighbor asking me “have you always been this big? or my mom “you don’t Try hard enough””....Anyways. My weight got to affect my mental health in the past year and I’m tired of hiding at home, crying, hating the mirror, hating the closet and the breakdowns in the morning because nothing fits, not seeing my family, friends and nobody in general. My husband suffers from seeing me suffer. He doesn’t even care if I lose weight or not. He only wants me to be happy again and smile like I used to when we met. This is so hard for me and can’t even begin to describe it. It’s been a never ending battle and I want to live again. Anyways (sorry for the long story, I think it’s the first time I write down how I feel about this), After long investigation I decided the gastric sleeve was the solution for me (the doctor is great and has performed 8.000 of these surgeries) and the surgery is goi to be on February 24th. but I am extremely scared of the surgery and scared of any type of complication during or after the surgery. I know the risks are less than 1% but I still panic thinking about it and everyday I wonder if I should cancel the surgery or go ahead. Also I’m scared the surgery won’t work because of my “low” BMI. I want to lose 55 pounds so I can reach my final goal of 125 pounds, but I’ve heard that people with higher BMIs lose a lot more. Haven’t really found or heard much testimonials of people with low BMI and their weight loss journey.
If anybody went through this or can help me in some way it’s very much appreciated.

thanks!!!

So I am 6 days post op and doing really good; most people have a good reaction to this surgery. But what is the fire drill here? It seems like if you are this unsure you should talk to your surgeon about postponing for a month or so, and see if you can talk to the nutritionist, the psychologist, etc. Also, search on here for "low bmi" and I bet you'll find other people who had similar BMIs. I assume you have seen someone about your depression, and if you have not you should make that a priority. Your surgeon should also be able to talk to you about how your lower BMI will affect the likelihood of successful weight loss. Whatever you decide, good luck!

people with low BMI's lose a lot more because they have a lot more to lose! You'll do fine. And if you're committed to the eating program, you will lose the weight.

Emotions run all over the place the week before, it’s totally normal...mine did too. I would wake up in panic attacks saying to myself what am I doing?!? My BMI wasn’t super high - I want to lose 70 pds. I am 10 days post op and feeling great...o was so scared but they take such good care of you, please don’t worry. For the trade off of feeling lighter and healthier it’s so worth it. It took about 3/4 days post op and I felt like myself again..just couldn’t eat large amounts...u will know what we all mean once it’s done. I think back to all the huge amounts of food I used to consume all day long and know I would have never stopped had I not done this. Keep that in mind...u will eat normally again, just smaller portions...and be glad for it . Trust your gut and your surgeon.

I'm surprised you found someone to do surgery with 29.9 BMI but hope it all works for you.

HI honor your feelings at all time,

I am very happy I had the surgery, no regrets.