Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your Total Daily Energy Expenditure change after WLS?

Background info: 22 year old male, 87kg, 175cm.

My lowest weight was 78kg but I regained over the past couple of months due to relapsing back into old habits. Been back on track for the past 5 days but I can't figure out how many calories I should consume daily.

There are plenty of online tools that help you calculate your TDEE based on gender, age, height, weight and activity level. Based on my information I should consume around 1550 calories per day to lose weight fast, and around 2000 to lose weight. I currently have no problems getting to those numbers, but they still feel a bit high for someone who has had weight loss surgery. I also hear of people having drop all the way below 1000 calories to lose weight.

This makes me uncertain whether the TDEE is the same after weight loss surgery. I can't find any information about this online.

That seems really high to me i do 600-700 calories - Your energy will not change if you

1. Get your Vitamins and minerals in order and supplements

2. sleep eneogh

3. The weight coming off will give you a healthy energetic feeling

Aj you are afraid of food now though. 600-700 at 7 months seems ridiculous

Right now i am coming up on 7 months out and im attempting to incorporate more calories into my diet. i can do 1000 but im pushing for 1200 and eventually 1500 and eventually 2000+.

Yesterday this is what i was able to do

Protein Shake

orange

almonds

Protein shake

orange

almonds

flounder filet

serving of broccoli

two sugar free fudge pops.

this had me at 1190 cals for the day. ive dropped weight like crazy and ive never been the 600-700 cal type. and im learning that for what im looking for in my experience that i dont want to be that low. Im trying to build muscle or more importantly not lose any muscle. But i need to continue to focus on eating good things and ill be fine.

1 hour ago, Vox said:

Background info: 22 year old male, 87kg, 175cm.

My lowest weight was 78kg but I regained over the past couple of months due to relapsing back into old habits. Been back on track for the past 5 days but I can't figure out how many calories I should consume daily.

There are plenty of online tools that help you calculate your TDEE based on gender, age, height, weight and activity level. Based on my information I should consume around 1550 calories per day to lose weight fast, and around 2000 to lose weight. I currently have no problems getting to those numbers, but they still feel a bit high for someone who has had weight loss surgery. I also hear of people having drop all the way below 1000 calories to lose weight.

This makes me uncertain whether the TDEE is the same after weight loss surgery. I can't find any information about this online.

Reach out to your Surgeon/NUT/Team if you can for clarity, everything here will be mere conjecture based on personal experience

Sorry

Having weight loss surgery doesn’t change the amount of energy required to run your body. The things that impact your energy requirements are age, weight, hormones and muscle mass. So the older you are and the less you weigh the lower your BMR will be.

If you continue existing on very low calories you will keep losing weight. Eventually there comes a point where you will start needing to eat more in order to maintain and not keep losing.

this is a pretty individual thing depending on age, gender, activity level, metabolic rate, BMI, body composition (e.g., what percentage of your weight is muscle, fat, etc), etc. You may just have to experiment to see what calorie range "works" for you. A lot of it is just trial and error.

If you are trying to isolate for if WLS patients have lower TDEE than non WLS patients that weigh the same amount that's a good question. As you lose weight your TDEE will drop but that's the same for everyone.

Edited by Brent701

It is actually possible that a person may in fact need more calories not less. Surgeries such as RNY have a metabolic effect. However I can’t find any easy to read studies that quantify this.

Only 27 pages long so I stand by my comment of no easy to read studies! I wish they would publish a summary in normal people’s language 😂