Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation/Travel/Socializing after surgery

I'm having my sleeve on Feb. 3, and of course I am nervous and trying to focus on the positive. I am realizing how much of our social life revolves around food! I am 61 and married. We are taking a lovely trip in June to Ireland and Amsterdam with another couple; We often meet up with folks for dinner/drinks; my husband and son love breweries, I am a pretty good cook and we have people over for dinner a lot. This super bowl Sunday is the first in forever that I am not going to a Super Bowl party with my ribs and/or chili. (To be fair, I am from Massachusetts, so this is not a great SB year for us....) I am not that worried about the no alcohol part, I am a light drinker and am happy enough to substitute with Water or herbal tea. But:

1. How do people deal with Protein needs while traveling? Eating on the road, or worse, in the airports?

2. Do you still meet up with folks for dinner, etc.? Can you enjoy a small meal or appetizer and still feel comfortable in that setting?

3. Do people still enjoy cooking? I really enjoy making food for a group and then hanging out at the table, chatting and laughing. Will I still feel that way?

I'd love to hear about other people's challenges and triumphs post surgery.

18 minutes ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

1. How do people deal with Protein needs while traveling? Eating on the road, or worse, in the airports?

2. Do you still meet up with folks for dinner, etc.? Can you enjoy a small meal or appetizer and still feel comfortable in that setting?

3. Do people still enjoy cooking? I really enjoy making food for a group and then hanging out at the table, chatting and laughing. Will I still feel that way?

I'd love to hear about other people's challenges and triumphs post surgery.

1. Carry powder with you - You can get Almond Milk anywhere - I travel a lot - Two Protein Bars will get your thru the airport and Soup is available so is chili

2. Eating out is kinda awkward i order off the kids menu or the app menu - But people will look at you like your nutz but you will always be the one with the doggy bag. The questions are the pain in the ass

3, I still love to cook and cook healthier and more detailed, However i am trained in culinary arts so this has been a long time of cooking, Cooking does not mean over eating, so if you can separate the two it works well,

the biggest challenge for me has been the Vitamins and minerals getting them balanced out and taking in some sort of food daily, I do not eat much at all - so have had a hard time with getting the vits and mins. Read back on a long post i did on how i cracked mentally, So the head games are a something to deal with.

Triumphs are simple I am healthy thin and can move and do stuff i never could do before, This surgery kept me out of the URN so No regrets here

It really isn't a big issue, only in the beginning when you can't eat solid foods. People might notice, but no one is that interested in other people eating.

When going out, I either just get an appetizer, or an entire meal and eat what I can and take the rest to go. Early out - Soup is a good choice as it takes awhile to eat.

Entertaining - I still cook the same Thanksgiving dinner (with 8 pies), I plan what I really really want the most - eh not mashed potatoes - turkey and stuffing, maybe roasted Brussels sprouts. I eat sliver of pie 4 hours later. When going away from home, I always take food with me in my car, because you never know about delays or such - cheese, nuts, Water, etc. I have always carried water with me anyway. I have went on many many vacations, a cruise, hiking, square dance conventions, quilt shows - you name it and not an issue.

Early out I had food intolerances - chicken breast was too stringy no matter how it was cooked, salad slimed until 9 months out, and rich chocolate anything I still can't eat but one bite, beef can still be a little harsh. Fast food is iffy regardless but I get grilled chicken salad if there are no other places to get food.

29 minutes ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

as someone else said, this whole thing is more of an issue when you're early out, but here goes:

1) take Protein Powder or Protein bars with you (I don't eat protein bars regularly because I'd abuse them, but when traveling, they can sometimes be a godsend when you don't have other options). I also used to take beef Jerky and cheese sticks with me (cheese sticks can be left out of refrigeration for several hours). Eating on the road - chili, ordering a grilled chicken sandwich and ditching the bun, getting a taco and just eating the innards.

2) that first year, I switched most of my lunch and dinner dates to coffee dates. I later felt safe doing dinner and lunch dates again, but I try to limit them because it's so easy to go over my calorie range on days I go out. And yes - I usually get an appetizer or order some "safe" meal and take half of it home with me. And absolutely I feel comfortable doing that. I have a number of skinny and normal-weight friends who eat like that all the time!

3) I cut down on my cooking a lot when I was in weight loss mode, but I'm cooking about as much now as I did pre-surgery - I just make (mostly) bariatric-safe dishes.

Hi Lisa, I’m in Ireland so I’ll just reply about your upcoming trip. You should have no problem meeting your Protein goals here. Generally most restaurants have Soup, chicken and fish options which most places would be happy to adjust for you if requested. If you choose to go to a cavery then they offer kid size portions if meet, potato and veg etc.
if you are eating on the road, a lot of petrol stations have sandwich bars where they will make you up a salad to order so chicken, tuna, eggs, cheese all available there. And fast food outlets are quickly adapting to having healthy options, grilled chicken sambo being most popular.
Finally, we have lovely protein bars here called Fulfil, loads of Flavors and available in basically every shop in Ireland, including the airport.
Hope this helps.
We also have a load of breweries for the hubbie:)

Eating out gets easier too you wont finish your plate but thats ok. The first 2 months will be very challenging but doable. At 9 months out I still eat most of the foods I was when eating out but the portion sizes are now 1/2 to 1/4 what they were. I wish there were more options for 6-8oz steaks instead of the massive 14+ oz ones that I will never again be able to finish let alone including a side. Its just laughable to look back at how much I was eating.

You can add Protein powder to anything, so have it on hand, in the original packaging. You can buy single portion, samples of protein powder, as well. This may be helpful when travelling with "white powder" through airports. Take some Protein Drinks in your checked luggage, as well.

Soups are a wonderful option, especially in the early stages. You have to eat so slowly after surgery, so most people won't even notice your small portions, like a bowl of Soup. It's not like you are going to gulp it down and then sit there watching everyone else eat.

I actually do more meal planning and cooking now than I did before surgery! I love trying out new recipes and new ingredients.

A couple weeks after my surgery, I cooked a full Mexican buffet meal for a family gathering. Everyone was so busy with their own plates that they did not even notice me sipping my bowl of broth. And it was amazing to me to see how much food everyone else was eating!

You will do fine. It's all about prep, and when travelling, have your "emergency rations" with you.

PS: I am using the once a day, BariatrilPal Multi Vitamins with Iron. I take one of those with a B-12 with m first meal, and then my calcium citrate and D3 with my last meal. This keeps it very simple and easy. All my labs are fine.

I travel a lot and I bring almonds, Protein bars, and protein Snacks with me in airports and on cruises and land trips to make sure (1) that I'm getting in enough protein and (2) that I'm snacking on something healthy instead of something bad. It's definitely do-able. Restaurants have plenty of good options.

5 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

1. Carry powder with you - You can get Almond Milk anywhere - I travel a lot - Two Protein Bars will get your thru the airport and Soup is available so is chili

2. Eating out is kinda awkward i order off the kids menu or the app menu - But people will look at you like your nutz but you will always be the one with the doggy bag. The questions are the pain in the ass

3, I still love to cook and cook healthier and more detailed, However i am trained in culinary arts so this has been a long time of cooking, Cooking does not mean over eating, so if you can separate the two it works well,

the biggest challenge for me has been the Vitamins and minerals getting them balanced out and taking in some sort of food daily, I do not eat much at all - so have had a hard time with getting the vits and mins. Read back on a long post i did on how i cracked mentally, So the head games are a something to deal with.

Triumphs are simple I am healthy thin and can move and do stuff i never could do before, This surgery kept me out of the URN so No regrets here

Thank you for the feedback (pun not intended). I know most of my concerns are fear based. It's good to hear from folks who've been there

5 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

It really isn't a big issue, only in the beginning when you can't eat solid foods. People might notice, but no one is that interested in other people eating.

When going out, I either just get an appetizer, or an entire meal and eat what I can and take the rest to go. Early out - Soup is a good choice as it takes awhile to eat.

Entertaining - I still cook the same Thanksgiving dinner (with 8 pies), I plan what I really really want the most - eh not mashed potatoes - turkey and stuffing, maybe roasted Brussels sprouts. I eat sliver of pie 4 hours later. When going away from home, I always take food with me in my car, because you never know about delays or such - cheese, nuts, Water, etc. I have always carried Water with me anyway. I have went on many many vacations, a cruise, hiking, square dance conventions, quilt shows - you name it and not an issue.

Early out I had food intolerances - chicken breast was too stringy no matter how it was cooked, salad slimed until 9 months out, and rich chocolate anything I still can't eat but one bite, beef can still be a little harsh. Fast food is iffy regardless but I get grilled chicken salad if there are no other places to get food.

Thank you! I decided just to tell people what kind of surgery I'm having. It was very difficult at first, I feel shame around weight and food issues, which I know is common. One advantage I think of being over 60 is being able to get past that a bit. I feel relieved with so many people saying they handle this.

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

as someone else said, this whole thing is more of an issue when you're early out, but here goes:

1) take Protein Powder or Protein Bars with you (I don't eat Protein bars regularly because I'd abuse them, but when traveling, they can sometimes be a godsend when you don't have other options). I also used to take beef Jerky and cheese sticks with me (cheese sticks can be left out of refrigeration for several hours). Eating on the road - chili, ordering a grilled chicken sandwich and ditching the bun, getting a taco and just eating the innards.

2) that first year, I switched most of my lunch and dinner dates to coffee dates. I later felt safe doing dinner and lunch dates again, but I try to limit them because it's so easy to go over my calorie range on days I go out. And yes - I usually get an appetizer or order some "safe" meal and take half of it home with me. And absolutely I feel comfortable doing that. I have a number of skinny and normal-weight friends who eat like that all the time!

3) I cut down on my cooking a lot when I was in weight loss mode, but I'm cooking about as much now as I did pre-surgery - I just make (mostly) bariatric-safe dishes.

Great suggestions. And I'm glad you're cooking again.

4 hours ago, elsie77 said:

Hi Lisa, I’m in Ireland so I’ll just reply about your upcoming trip. You should have no problem meeting your Protein goals here. Generally most restaurants have Soup, chicken and fish options which most places would be happy to adjust for you if requested. If you choose to go to a cavery then they offer kid size portions if meet, potato and veg etc.
if you are eating on the road, a lot of petrol stations have sandwich bars where they will make you up a salad to order so chicken, tuna, eggs, cheese all available there. And fast food outlets are quickly adapting to having healthy options, grilled chicken sambo being most popular.
Finally, we have lovely Protein Bars here called Fulfil, loads of Flavors and available in basically every shop in Ireland, including the airport.
Hope this helps.
We also have a load of breweries for the hubbie:)

Wow! Thank you! I was lucky enough to visit a couple if years ago, and can't wait to hop again. The beef is so good, all those happy cows running around...lol. I will make note if the Protein Bar brand more room in the suitcase for my new skinny clothes.

4 hours ago, Brent701 said:

Eating out gets easier too you wont finish your plate but thats ok. The first 2 months will be very challenging but doable. At 9 months out I still eat most of the foods I was when eating out but the portion sizes are now 1/2 to 1/4 what they were. I wish there were more options for 6-8oz steaks instead of the massive 14+ oz ones that I will never again be able to finish let alone including a side. Its just laughable to look back at how much I was eating.

You give me hope! I want it to seen laughable. And not me feeling irrationally jealous...

3 hours ago, AZhiker said:

You can add Protein Powder to anything, so have it on hand, in the original packaging. You can buy single portion, samples of Protein powder, as well. This may be helpful when travelling with "white powder" through airports. Take some Protein Drinks in your checked luggage, as well.

Soups are a wonderful option, especially in the early stages. You have to eat so slowly after surgery, so most people won't even notice your small portions, like a bowl of Soup. It's not like you are going to gulp it down and then sit there watching everyone else eat.

I actually do more meal planning and cooking now than I did before surgery! I love trying out new recipes and new ingredients.

A couple weeks after my surgery, I cooked a full Mexican buffet meal for a family gathering. Everyone was so busy with their own plates that they did not even notice me sipping my bowl of broth. And it was amazing to me to see how much food everyone else was eating!

You will do fine. It's all about prep, and when travelling, have your "emergency rations" with you.

PS: I am using the once a day, BariatrilPal Multi Vitamins with Iron. I take one of those with a B-12 with m first meal, and then my calcium citrate and D3 with my last meal. This keeps it very simple and easy. All my labs are fine.

Are there tasteless Protein powders you would recommend? I'm not a big fake sugar fan

31 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I travel a lot and I bring almonds, Protein Bars, and Protein Snacks with me in airports and on cruises and land trips to make sure (1) that I'm getting in enough Protein and (2) that I'm snacking on something healthy instead of something bad. It's definitely do-able. Restaurants have plenty of good options.

Great suggestions. When I get hangry now I reach for cheez its, hence the need for surgery, I guess.