Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Building up for my first marathon

Hi everyone! Im a sleever who achieved goal weight 9 months post op. Im currently under goal but would like to loose another 10lbs.. but thats not the point of this post!

Love to hear from anyone who has ran a marathon, im aiming for a 4 hour goal time and currently running 5 days a week and increasing distance by 10%. No injuries yet (except my currently broken wrist from my downhill mountainbike hobby!). Im a plant based runner who is more or less a veggie. I do not eat processed foods - and by processed i mean food with anything on the label that is not an actual food. No ****. I live in New Zealand, so thankfully we eat very differently here and this has been easy.

Any tips from experienced runners very welcome. I have an excellent baseline of fitness as I've been running since 6 weeks post op and credit it with my success.

Edited by Lyndor

The only marathons I do are the ones that come on TV🤣

Seriously, good luck with your marathon! I ran in my younger days before my feet and knees went bad. The longest race I did was a half-marathon on a really hilly course and it really messed with my mind. So make sure your runs include hills!

Hooray for you! I’m five years post-RNY and ran my first marathon last June. I’m one-and-done with marathons and plan to stick with the half distance going forward. Sounds like you’re doing great!

I am coming up on my first year post op date, and have completed a sprint triathlon and a 52 mile bike race. Am currently training for my second tri and a rim-to-rim (in one day - 24 miles) Grand Canyon hike. I am also going to try a 100 mile bike race at the end of year. I am also whole food plant based and I am loving it. I have so much energy and I NEVER get sore, even after long workouts. (I am not allowed to run, as I've had a knee replacement and my ortho wants it to last as long as possible, so distance biking and hiking are my sports of choice.) Anyway, I am totally sold now on plant based, whole food eating. No processed foods of any kind allowed. I just made up a batch of granola for the week, and will be having some lentil/potato/tempeh stuffed peppers for dinner, with sweet potato and fresh broccoli from my organic garden. So yummy!!!!!

It is so good to hear from other WLS patients who are doing endurance sports as part of their new lives!

Edited by AZhiker

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

lentil/potato/tempeh stuffed peppers

Recipe, please?

I am trying to make stuffed peppers out of quinoa and Quorn crumbles. Tastes OK but falls apart once it's out of the peppers....

Edited by JRT Mom

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• AmberFL

2 of the Biggest NSV thus far in my life; 1) my 6yr old daughter can wrap her arms around me for the first time ever! 2) My 12yr old son is having a basketball game for the parents vs. their players and I am playing with him! Its been awhile since I played basketball so I have been practicing lol but I would never had even volunteered to do this 70lbs ago! 
      This surgery has changed my life for the better!
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

That's fantastic!

• Newtransformation79

It has hit me today, as I sit in my chair at work that I don't have my belly sticking out to where it would hit the desk. Oh and I can cross my legs more comfortably. It amazes me just how much I have loss in inches vs actual pounds, I have lost 24 lbs all together. But I believe in inches all over about 3 inches. I am noticing more energy and have pep to my step. My skin is a lot clearer. My watch band is shorter by 3 notches. the little things are what I am noticing. When I bend over I don't feel out of breath or I am going to fall over ( weeble wobble). 
      I am having a hard time with my sweet tooth, it is very hard to not want to get some ice cream or chocolate. Candy I can do without. I have no craving really for that, just chocolate and ice cream. I have gone as far as taking Popsicle and putting them in my mixer with almond milk and making like ice cream with that/ sometimes I have added un-flavored protein powder. 
      I feel better everyday. The energy is great to have with having younger kids and being able to have the energy to keep up. 😃
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Manisha Sharma

Buy Dohar Set Online: Top Picks for Cozy Comfort & Style 
      Check out our top selections for cozy bedding, perfect for adding a touch of style to your bedroom while ensuring warmth and comfort. Find the best Dohar sets online for ultimate comfort and style.

Visit - https://amoliconcepts.com/product-category/throws-quilts-dohars/
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

If anyone has any advice on how to make your stomach feel better after you eat something you shouldn't have or at too fast, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! It's painful on both sides of my abdomen (like to the point I'm doubled over and using a hot water bottle in addition to medicine) and I'm really nauseous (the thought or smell of food is 🤢).
      · 0 replies
    • Mandirigma

Just wondering if any of the Type 2 Diabetics also have there blood glucose go high when having only a Premier Protein drink for breakfast?  How does Premier Protein compare to BOOST Glucose Control in your experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches