Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To sleeve or not to sleeve, that is the question!

Hello
New to site ...
Last band May 2013
SW 255lbs
CW 146lbs
Mostly maintaining for 3 years, with some +/- 5lbs
Since band I’ve had burping all the time. And reflux PBing on and off ... good spells and then bad spells, resulting in two emergency de-fills. Followed by re-fills after a few months. Never been able to eat fruit, some salads, egg white or anything firm or chewy ... now cook veg to soft. No digestive issues pre-band.

In Sept 2019, I started struggling with regurgitation, so I started taking Omeprazole, which has helped, but not cured the reflux etc. In the last few weeks, I’ve also started struggling to drink enough Water, and some days I’ve gone back to blending my food. We are long term travelling in Europe, so it’s not possible to see my consultant.
Plan to take myself to local hospital to see if they can do a barium swallow, to check to see if the band has slipped.

BUT, started to think that the band may not be a long term solution .... I’m only 55. Wondering if I should go for a sleeve. Just concerned about reading posts on here, reflux may not be cured by a switch to the sleeve. The bypass worries me as more severe. I will have to pay, so not a decision to be taken lightly ....

Would those of you who have gone from band to sleeve describe your changes to reflux, burping and bringing up saliva?

This wold be most helpful ... thanks in anticipation.

K

5 minutes ago, curvee gêne rosa said:

BUT, started to think that the band may not be a long term solution .... I’m only 55. Wondering if I should go for a sleeve. Just concerned about reading posts on here, reflux may not be cured by a switch to the sleeve. The bypass worries me as more severe. I will have to pay, so not a decision to be taken lightly ....

If you are having band problems you should definitely consider a revision. And I know you are interested in a sleeve, but you should consider the bypass. First of all, it isn't more severe--in the sleeve they are removing a large portion of your stomach. In the bypass the stomach is sectioned off, but the remnant (the part left after the pouch is made) is still there, and the bypass is actually reversible, while the sleeve is not. If done by laparoscope the bypass and sleeve are about the same risk--actually more people have died getting hip replacements!

Did you have reflux before you were banded? If so the bypass is a better choice. Costwise, I'm sure the bypass costs more but I don't know that for a fact.

Whatever you decide, get that dang band out and start being able to eat again (albeit smaller portions) without the fear of what it will do THIS time. I know before I got mine out I faced each meal with trepidation--am I going to be able to eat this without throwing up?

Whatever you decide, visit often--you'll learn a lot here. Good luck!

A Surgeon will advise you properly but most will not sleeve a person with reflux, they may suggest bypass instead. Although the bypass is not the only way to cure GERD, it's one of the only trusted WLS performed to do it

Good Luck ❤️

===========================

"To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;

To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause—there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life.

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,

The insolence of office, and the spurns

That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will,

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,

And thus the native hue of resolution

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pitch and moment

With this regard their currents turn awry

And lose the name of action."

- Hamlet, Act III Scene I

(I had to do it for the Culture)

I worry with your current weight you will be too slim to be a candidate for bypass. Only your doctor would know. I had the band for a few years and also had issues with certain foods I couldn't eat. You were very successful with the band, and not everyone is. I wasn't. In fact, I gained 20 pounds with the band and had pain when eating foods like chicken, carrots, or anything firm. I had to revise to the duodenal switch for my body to respond in a healthy way. Now I can eat healthy foods without pain, and I've lost 82 pounds. I was revised in 2017.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

Why not just have your band removed? You have lost the weight for some period of time. Just follow the same kind of diet and call it a day? Even the sleeve is just a short term tool.

22 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

I worry with your current weight you will be too slim to be a candidate for bypass. Only your doctor would know. I had the band for a few years and also had issues with certain foods I couldn't eat. You were very successful with the band, and not everyone is. I wasn't. In fact, I gained 20 pounds with the band and had pain when eating foods like chicken, carrots, or anything firm. I had to revise to the duodenal switch for my body to respond in a healthy way. Now I can eat healthy foods without pain, and I've lost 82 pounds. I was revised in 2017.

people who do it as a revision don't always lose weight - esp if they're a normal - or close to it - BMI, so she may be OK. A surgeon can tell her for sure. It's probably the best option for someone with reflux.

9 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Why not just have your band removed? You have lost the weight for some period of time. Just follow the same kind of diet and call it a day? Even the sleeve is just a short term tool.

Tools are often necessary for maintenance as well

(you don't need to be currently building a new house to justify the need to own a hammer)

33 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

I worry with your current weight you will be too slim to be a candidate for bypass. Only your doctor would know.

Yes only a surgeon will be able to advise. Revisions are based on other factors besides weight.

Only an EGD will give you answers to the condition of your band and whether there is too much damage to do a revision to sleeve or bypass. Many banded people do get revised because of this type of issue. I wish you the best in your medical decisions.

I am new here and I was revised (so I was told ) May 2018 and I have never felt so terrible ,

104 lbs any morsel of solid food causes pain to upper stomach (kidney stone pain x100) then violently vomit and who says no sleeve bad removal , liver nicked port cut thru stomach muscles , non absorption thiamine def , weekly losing 2-8 lbs mirgrane and expected to be ME 48 yr old mom g mom and g ma to be ... in-laws care taker as my moms

and I am to now get ANOTHER UPPER G I SERIES -suregeon left New Jersey help

I had the band for over 10 years and finally had it removed due to many of the issues you are saying. With even the slightest fill I would wake up choking on acid. With no fill, I would still be unable to eat healthy foods and had heartburn regularly. While I had good initial weight loss, I ended up gaining in all back.

I decided on RNY because my surgeon told me that even people who have never had heartburn or GERD see a greater risk of it with Sleeve. For someone like me who had it with the band, they felt this risk was really high that I would have it as well.

I'm just about 3 weeks out from RNY and very happy with my decision so far. Still very, very early but following the plan and hopeful I'll continue in this path.