Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I get off the omeprazole after 8 months?

In never had gerd or acid issues until after my sleeve in May of 2019. After 2 months I tried to stop the Omeprazole and I had the worst acid reflux in my throat. Burning pain that hurt a lot. I realized then that this surgery has made me dependent on that omeprazole and I am really upset. I read that long term use can damage the kidneys. I want off of these capsules but each time I try to stop, I get the reflux and burning in my esophagus. Right now I'm trying to use Papaya enzymes to curb the acid. I have gone 24 hours without the omeprazole but every few hours I start feeling the gurgling burn starting up my throat. So I hsve resorted to chewing 4 papaya pills at least 3-4 times a day. Today I took an acid reducer called Famotidine. Its a small white pill 20 mg. tablet, it is known as a histamine-2 blocker which prevents stomach acid and treats ulcers. Does anyone know if this is safer long term than omeprazole? I only took 1 this afternoon and now my throat is starting to burn again at 10pm. I need to take anothervone to be able to sleep in peace. At least I only needed 1 omeprazole 40mg.

Edited by Queen Eileen
Misspelling

8 hours ago, Queen Eileen said:

In never had gerd or acid issues until after my sleeve in May of 2019. After 2 months I tried to stop the Omeprazole and I had the worst acid reflux in my throat. Burning pain that hurt a lot. I realized then that this surgery has made me dependent on that omeprazole and I am really upset. I read that long term use can damage the kidneys. I want off of these capsules but each time I try to stop, I get the reflux and burning in my esophagus. Right now I'm trying to use Papaya enzymes to curb the acid. I have gone 24 hours without the omeprazole but every few hours I start feeling the gurgling burn starting up my throat. So I hsve resorted to chewing 4 papaya pills at least 3-4 times a day. Today I took an acid reducer called Famotidine. Its a small white pill 20 mg. tablet, it is known as a histamine-2 blocker which prevents stomach acid and treats ulcers. Does anyone know if this is safer long term than omeprazole? I only took 1 this afternoon and now my throat is starting to burn again at 10pm. I need to take anothervone to be able to sleep in peace. At least I only needed 1 omeprazole 40mg.

Talk to your surgeon about your symptoms and form a safe plan. Developing GERD is a know possible side effect of VSG.

Good Luck 💚

Be careful with GERD medications, I believe they just recalled some more this week. Talk to your surgeon for sure!

I hate to admit this, but my husband's been taking my Omeprazole for a year now. I stopped taking it when I had to take the breath test thing pre-op sleeve and post-sleeve my GERD went away and never came back and it's been a year. Now the prescription is about to run out and of course I won't be going to the doctor to get it refilled, so hubby's going to have to figure out something to do about his GERD and see the doctor himself or wean himself off of the medication or something.

famotidine is safer than PPI's, yes. But I'd contact your surgeon's office about this. They may have other suggestions. You definitely want that treated, though, because uncontrolled GERD can cause serious issues such as Barrett's esophagus.

Always talk to your surgeon before trying to wean yourself off of meds. I know in my case my Dr. Prescribed them for an entire year, twice a day. He said they obviously help prevent GERD but also promote healing in our new sensitive stomachs. So maybe after the year mark you can talk to your Dr. About other options. Good Luck! GERD sucks!!

** Semi-long post Alert **

OK, so I was prescribed a PPI for 6 months and I was happy as a clam.

After the 6 months, I stopped cold turkey and had foamies, burning throat, and the occasional spit up at night. I did this for about 3 weeks, and asked my doc to be put back on my PPI, and all was good again.

At around the 10 moth post op mark, I did some research and spoke to my doc about weaning off it again. Both my research and my doc said that doing it gradually is key and to not give up and go back to full dosage as I'd have to start all over again.

I started with taking my 30mg pill every other day, for about 1 week, and I basically got the symptoms every other day for a month. So I went back to full dosage and tried again. Here is what I did/am doing/will do and so far it has been more bearable and seems to be working...

• Alternating days of 30mg and 15mg (half dosage) for a month
  • 30mg every other day for a month
  • 15mg every other day for a month << this is where I am at now and and so far so good.

Come February, I plan on going to 15mg every 3 days, supplementing with a Zantac of other acid-reducer as needed. After a month of this I'm hoping I will be off the PPI altogether and maintain with Zantac.

...I could probably make this easier on myself if I cut out spicy foods and coffee, but I'm not willing to do that yet. 😡

** BUT LIKE THE OTHERS HAVE SAID, TALK TO YOUR DOC AND COME UP WITH A PLAN TOGETHER **

Edited by ms.sss