Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose the surgery you had/will have?



Recommended Posts

I have been doing a lot of reading about the gastric sleeve and am considering this instead of the lap band. I would love to hear from others who had the lap band or gastric sleeve and advantages/disadvantages of either one. I am not young, 71, and this is a factor, also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mariyn said:

I have been doing a lot of reading about the gastric sleeve and am considering this instead of the lap band. I would love to hear from others who had the lap band or gastric sleeve and advantages/disadvantages of either one. I am not young, 71, and this is a factor, also.

I'm surprised you found a surgeon who's willing to do the lapband. Most have abandoned this surgery because so many people had complications from it. The sleeve has largely replaced it as an alternative to the bypass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main reason I’m choosing to have the sleeve done is that I’d prefer not to have to change the usual way in which food flows through and is absorbed, in my body. I also think gastric bypass might result in “too much” weight loss for me personally. I’m aiming to lose about 120 lbs. I think the sleeve will get me there just fine. I also wanted to not exhaust the extent of WLS tools outright. If I never actually need a full bypass, why have it?,is the way I thought of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I choose the sleeve because it seemed like it would help me to get to the weight I want without having to get Vitamin injections and such. Plus it’s a much slower, gentler wt loss then the RNY from what I’ve seen so I figured that may be better for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my first post when I was going for a lap band, I have done a lot of reading and am now having the sleeve done later this month. I think this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had RNY BYPASS never had any injections just take Multivitamins.

I wanted and needed to have my stomach fixed and the bypass has made my metabolism so much better than it was.

Yes I lost weight quick which was fine by me been lucky with little excess skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Takoda said:

I choose the sleeve because it seemed like it would help me to get to the weight I want without having to get Vitamin injections and such. Plus it’s a much slower, gentler wt loss then the RNY from what I’ve seen so I figured that may be better for me.

I don't know anyone who gets Vitamin injections. We just take regular old Vitamins like sleeve patients do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was getting monthly Vitamin B injections for the sleeve after surgery because I had to take a lot of other Vitamins, but going to my doctor's office got old fast so I switched to tablets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JessLess said:

I was getting monthly Vitamin B injections for the sleeve after surgery because I had to take a lot of other Vitamins, but going to my doctor's office got old fast so I switched to tablets.

I'd forgotten about B12. A few people do take B12 via injection, but most people take it in sublingual form (so - a dissolving tablet). RNY'ers don't absorb B12 very well, so we're advised to take it sublingually. I don't personally know anyone who takes it via injection, but i know that's an option. That may be where the poster got the "vitamins by injection" idea (???)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done alot of research and still researching till my surgery.

I had the lapband for 6 yrs with a total weightloss of 200 pounds. It slipped this year and had to be removed.

So I am doing the gastric sleeve over bypass for many reasons. 1. Less invasive than bypass. 2. One of my best friends had the bypass and had alot of problems and made me promise to never get the bypass.

I know I will have success with the sleeve.my surgeon has a great after surgery support program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I had the bypass and never had one issue and look at me now 8 months 3 weeks since I began my diet and 6.5 months post op.

Bypass was the best decision for me

IMG_20200516_154525.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNY bypass...i wanted dumping. I figured it was the most direct way to discourage my bad behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, Mariyn said:

Since my first post when I was going for a lap band, I have done a lot of reading and am now having the sleeve done later this month. I think this

Can I ask where you found someone that still does lap bands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be a better choice. The surgeon doing my sleeve was going to do the lap band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×