Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Volume vs calories 6 weeks to 3 months out

I was actually surprised when my surgery/Nut group kept telling me "don't worry about calories, just worry about volume". It's a very proactive university based operations, which seems to be on the very cutting edge of the craft. So far it is working incredibly well. As such, here is the Post 6 week to 3 month plan:

Diet plan: Three structured meals a day (B,L,D)

A meal consists of:

2-3 oz protien (weigh after cooking)

1-2oz cooked or raw veg.

* Portion size will gradually increase over time, but remember to stop eating when you feel content or satisfied, do not overfill. Remember to eat slowly chew well to allow yourself to feel full, before you take the next bite.

Protein: there are no restrictions, but wait 3 months before having steak. Eat a variety of protiens. Protien will be the focus of your diet.

Vegetables: eat at every meal. Limit starchy veg, like corn, peas, potatoes, Pasta. Etc..

Drink 2 Protein Shakes per day to maintain minimum 60-80 grams Protein.

Combined Fluid total of at least 64 oz daily, no caffeine, carbs, sugar, alcohol .

Do not skip meals.

Eat just enough, and slow enough to feel full.

Do Not drink anything from 30 minute prior, to 30 minutes after each meal. Very important!

Do not chew gum (For the rest of your life)

Take your Vitamins and minerals.

So that's it in a nutshell. No calories defined, and I asked several times. They kept saying that if I follow the percentages (Basically 2/1 Protein over veg, with very limited starch) and eat till full, without drinking, it's a slam dunk.

So far, a lb per day like clockwork.

luck!

the first few months you're really not eating enough to worry about calories. For me, it could be a struggle just to get in everything I was supposed to get in (like all that protein!). I didn't start counting calories until I could physically eat enough to worry about it - like after around 10 or 12 months. Once in maintenance, I focused on Protein (as usual...) and overall calories.

1 hour ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

I was actually surprised when my surgery/Nut group kept telling me "don't worry about calories, just worry about volume". It's a very proactive university based operations, which seems to be on the very cutting edge of the craft. So far it is working incredibly well. As such, here is the Post 6 week to 3 month plan:

Diet plan: Three structured meals a day (B,L,D)

A meal consists of:

2-3 oz protien (weigh after cooking)

1-2oz cooked or raw veg.

* Portion size will gradually increase over time, but remember to stop eating when you feel content or satisfied, do not overfill. Remember to eat slowly chew well to allow yourself to feel full, before you take the next bite.

Protein: there are no restrictions, but wait 3 months before having steak. Eat a variety of protiens. Protien will be the focus of your diet.

Vegetables: eat at every meal. Limit starchy veg, like corn, peas, potatoes, Pasta. Etc..

Drink 2 Protein Shakes per day to maintain minimum 60-80 grams Protein.

Combined Fluid total of at least 64 oz daily, no caffeine, carbs, sugar, alcohol .

Do not skip meals.

Eat just enough, and slow enough to feel full.

Do Not drink anything from 30 minute prior, to 30 minutes after each meal. Very important!

Do not chew gum (For the rest of your life)

Take your Vitamins and minerals.

So that's it in a nutshell. No calories defined, and I asked several times. They kept saying that if I follow the percentages (Basically 2/1 Protein over veg, with very limited starch) and eat till full, without drinking, it's a slam dunk.

So far, a lb per day like clockwork.

luck!

I like this thank you 🙂

Thanks for the post.

I agree with @catwoman7 said, at this point calories don't really matter. However, I will offer my perspective on it.

Of equal importance to learning to use my new tool is dealing with the head issues that got me morbidly obese in the first place. For me, counting calories has become somewhat comforting. Knowing that I feel full and satisfied on 600-700 calories per day is very, very different from the many times I've lost weight in the past, which were white knuckle, completely unsustainable experiences. By counting calories, I find that I'm starting to reset my brain from a couple of decades of bad weight loss experiences and forming a more positive relationship with filling, high Protein, lower calorie foods. So even though I physically can't eat enough calories to gain right now, I'm counting anyway as part of my healing process so I'm fully prepared for the day when I could eat enough to regain if I don't remain vigilant.

That's counter intuitive to tell a person not to think of calories... You need to learn how to count calories for the long term..

Every single thing you consume has calories then you have to learn what calories are good or bad like carbs vs protein; if you don't understand the basics you will have issues.

From day 1 I log every calorie everyday and that keeps me focused and to know what affects my weight positively or negatively..

Over time you have to figure out if you need to add calories or not depending on your activity levels and energy levels.

25 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

That's counter intuitive to tell a person not to think of calories... You need to learn how to count calories for the long term..

Every single thing you consume has calories then you have to learn what calories are good or bad like carbs vs protein; if you don't understand the basics you will have issues.

From day 1 I log every calorie everyday and that keeps me focused and to know what affects my weight positively or negatively..

Over time you have to figure out if you need to add calories or not depending on your activity levels and energy levels.

I don't disagree, but these guys seem pretty good. They were the ones that a year ago said that there was no need for pre surgery weight loss, as it was potentially harmful. Now that concept is becoming mainstream, and in a year it will probably be stopped (except in perhaps morbidly obese). That being said, it would seem absolutely vital to count calories once you get to the maintenance stage, However they said that due to current volume restrictions and food categories, it isn't even worth thinking about at this point.

My nutritionist is a volume person, not a weight person. She sez to eat no more than a half a cup of food per meal and try to make most of it a Protein choice. That doesn't sound like much, but so far it fills me up. It's nice not having to weigh food, just measure it. I even have a collapsible measuring cup that I carry with me for eating out. Looks weird, but it works!

On 1/12/2020 at 8:24 AM, JRT Mom said:

My nutritionist is a volume person, not a weight person. She sez to eat no more than a half a cup of food per meal and try to make most of it a Protein choice. That doesn't sound like much, but so far it fills me up. It's nice not having to weigh food, just measure it. I even have a collapsible measuring cup that I carry with me for eating out. Looks weird, but it works!

I like that idea

thank you

This is a really cool concept! Thanks for sharing. I think whats cool about this forum and these people, is that we learn that everyone loses their weight differently, and thats ok! We are all learning new things everyday. Someone can have the same success by not counting calories as the person who does count calories. As long as were losing the healthy way, thats what matters!

On 1/10/2020 at 8:48 PM, Superman84 said:

Not always. I feel very strongly about adding calorie counting stress to an already fucked up mind.

I think this is a mind over matter situation.

I think that as long as you make good food choices on the long haul, the calories will limit it self, because it is very hard to overeat quality proteinrich foods.

The issue comes to light if you do not have a good set of eating habits for the most parts. Wrong food choices will make you eat more. It has been shown that people do not have the same limit with a junk food meal, than with a well balanced meal, for example. I-E one eats more calories when the diet is poor (reason why so many of us are obese).

The problem for me with tracking and counting all calories all the time, is that it causes stress. Especially girls will not focus on anything other than the calorie count. And WHAT you eat and circumstances around the food is more important than how much. For me.

It is important to be able to sit down with your family and be able to enjoy a meal with them and have the focus on that, not on the calories on the plate. It causes an obsession. Mindfulness is very important.

Ok ok Ok. We have or are all obese here. We all have had some issues with food, bodyweight and fears. Let's be honest about that. Amount has been an issue. But now we got this great tool to help us eat good. Take advantage of it, not adding the stress of constant calorie counting and never be able to go of scheme for some occasions. Sugars and fat maybe we should mind, but again, high Protein quality foods will balance calories in its self.

Let's take christmas as an example. Most of us will worry about the food. About regain, using lots of time looking for options that we consider healthier etc. I remember one christmas, at my peak. I worried SO much about the christmas eve meal. While everyone had a good time all christmas eve, I forced myself to go the gym as I did not want christmas to ruin my gains. I ate cottage cheese as dessert while everyone else took a bowl of mamas christmas dessert. Because I could't make it fit my calories. That one meal. Out of all meals all year my focus was on that one meal ruining everything for me.

This is a problem today. People can't enjoy food, and food keeps beeing set in a yay or nay box, often depending on calories. Do you know we have 5 bluezones in the world. The bluezones are areas were people have overall better health, live longer, next to no obesity and don't age as the rest of us do. The residents are part of a close-knit community that values physical and mental habits helping them live long, healthy, vibrant live ( Buettner identified five regions as "Blue Zones" (a term he trademarked): Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece); and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California).

The diets are not similar, but what is similar is that they often eat quality foods, no halfass, no substitutes, they don't stress about vegetables, calories and macros, they have very strong family bonds, work hard, and don't retire.