Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So! I went for my sleep consult yesterday & was told they’re ordering an at home test. Anyone else done this? I know I should have asked the doctor the following question, but I thought about it while falling asleep lol: if the home test shows sleep apnea, will I also need a lab test? Thanks guys!!

No lab test it monitors how many time you stop breathing, You will need a machine and i have one dont use it much but you want to talk getting a good nights sleep, they knock you out and get you air all night - Very healthy move. Once you loose all your weight sometimes it cures up

I've had the at-home test and it showed I DID NOT have sleep Apnea any longer, after having had it for 2-3 years before surgery. So, I really don't know the answer to your question about if it shows that you DO have it if they have to follow up with an overnight test, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose of the home test, doesn't it? They've improved the home tests to be pretty accurate.

19 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I've had the at-home test and it showed I DID NOT have sleep Apnea any longer, after having had it for 2-3 years before surgery. So, I really don't know the answer to your question about if it shows that you DO have it if they have to follow up with an overnight test, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose of the home test, doesn't it? They've improved the home tests to be pretty accurate.

This is true! lol Thank you so much, I guess I just always need opinions. This whole journey has me tooooooo excited. I've got everything scheduled outside my endoscopy. I'm hoping I get approved in March & have an April date so I can be sexayyyy for graduation lol

I had to do both.

2 hours ago, CheerfulLoser said:

I did an at-home test and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I did not have to do an in-lab test at all.

Perfect, thank you!

2 hours ago, CheerfulLoser said:

I did an at-home test and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I did not have to do an in-lab test at all.

I sure hope I don't lol

2 hours ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

I had to do both.

Did they give you any specific reason?

I did the one at home which was apparently to see if I did or did not have apnea, which I did. I then had to do one in the hospital so they could fit me with a unit and adjust pressures, etc

28 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

I did the one at home which was apparently to see if I did or did not have apnea, which I did. I then had to do one in the hospital so they could fit me with a unit and adjust pressures, etc

I guess I’m just overly anxious about it lol. I just don’t want mooooore appointments added on top of the appointments I already have 😩. Like I’ve got an endoscopy, mri, then of course the psych evaluation. Between now and my psych evaluation they set me up for more dietician and supervised weight loss appointments for shits & giggles... seeing as my insurance doesn’t have any requirements. Once that psych evaluation is done in March I just wanna be able to have everything submitted! Clearly I’m not patient lol.. it’s the virgo in me 😂

I completely understand. Keep in mind however that every day between now and you surgery can be a day that you lose weight. You don't have to lose a lot, but it is all part of the process. The surgery is just one tool of many that get you to the end fame

luck!

I had the sleep apnea test done in lab, I was diagnosed for it almost immediately, and did not have to have an in home test.

Mine was done in a sleep lab. I wish it had been a home test! I really didn't fall asleep until just before I had to wake up. Fortunately in that 1 hour I did have severe sleep apnea.... but it was too late to put me on cpap for the titration so I had to go back and do it again. We are fairly certain that severe sleep apnea was probably the trigger for my rapid weight gain. I started years with of insomnia around the time I started gaining weight. Had no clue it was so bad. I still dont sleep all night every night... but it is so much better and now that I am loosing weight I feel so much better!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Mine was done in a sleep lab. I wish it had been a home test! I really didn't fall asleep until just before I had to wake up. Fortunately in that 1 hour I did have severe sleep apnea.... but it was too late to put me on cpap for the titration so I had to go back and do it again. We are fairly certain that severe sleep apnea was probably the trigger for my rapid weight gain. I started years with of insomnia around the time I started gaining weight. Had no clue it was so bad. I still dont sleep all night every night... but it is so much better and now that I am loosing weight I feel so much better!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Your surgery was on my birthday!! We are clearly meant to be friends lol. But I was thankful they're going to let me complete it at home! It's interesting, because for years I dealt with insomnia. That stems back from when I was in the military. Now, I can sleep but I'm ALWAYS tired. It really sucks!