Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m preparing for revision surgery and I’m wondering what excuse people have used. I want to say I’m having surgery so people understand that I’m incapacitated for a couple weeks just don’t want everyone to know it’s Bariatric surgery. I have enough of a messed up head about my weight that I don’t need the judgement.

Also I work w my mom and I woukd tell her but after my last surgery I asked her not to tell anyone and she told her friends so her priveledges have been revoked! I have sinus issues I thought about using that and I also have been having some female issues so I thought about that. Last time I told like 3 different stories and I’m sure most people figured it out.

TIA for your advise and non judgement :)

I'm too old to lie, I might forget what I said. ;) Why not just say you are having minor but necessary surgery and will be out for 2 weeks? Then when I came back I told everyone I was on a medically supervised diet to avoid interest in why I was drinking small amounts of Protein Shake all day. Really, no one cared.

Why tell anyone? This is your business and it is your challenge, I told nobody but my brother who had done it and kept it a secret for 6 months. Just say you have Female issues and need a procedure, they keep asking you say

All is well gotta be something better to talk about then my medical issues! You may have to be a b***h at times but this is your journey and the last thing you want is obstacles slowing you down or effecting you negatively!

Gallbladder surgery?

Appendix removal?

Colon stricture?

Or maybe just: "Its personal and medically necessary".

I agree with above posters. Why lie, if someone asks just say, "I had surgery," and leave it at that. If someone asks for details just stand there staring at them and say nothing. They will become uncomfortable and either change the subject or walk away. Put the onus on them for invading your privacy. If the have a decent sense of humor you could tell them that you cannot discuss it due to HIPAA privacy laws 😉

I told people that I had hiatal hernia surgery, which was partially true because they fixed my hiatal hernia while doing the bariatric surgery.

I told everyone that I had to have my old lap band removed, which was the truth. I further added, only to the people that I want to know, that "Oh, while he was in there removing my lap band he did an RNY..."

Some family members and people aren't that chill and are trully intrusive. My dad's rights have been revoked so I get it, with the combination of being private. I opted for AJ's surgery theory of female issues, especially since I've had multiple surgeries for endometriosis and fibroids. You have to operate in a manner that is conducive to your lifestyle and protects your peace.

When I had my bypass 9 months ago I just told everyone I was having surgery and did not elaborate. Mo one asked what kind! I wad out of work for 4 weeks. The weight came off pretty quickly, but if anyone suspected bariatric surgery they didn't say so. I don't think you have to give details! Best wishes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm going with bronchitis. I've had it often in the past, so it's believable. Then, with the timing of the new year and my turning 50 this year, I will explain my weight loss as a result of a dedication to a keto-ish diet (that's actually true) so that I can be "Fab at 50!" Only my husband, two friends who've had the sleeve, and my best friend know the truth.

I WILL tell someone I had the sleeve if it seems they're asking for themselves and not to be a nosy gossip. I work at a high school, so I already know that most of the inquiry from co-workers will be nosy gossip. It's easy to discern the nosy from the genuine ask.

I just told people that my surgery was for "stomach issues". I left it vague. When people asked about my post op weight loss... I told them, "well, surgery fixed some issues I was having and now the weight is coming off". I left it as simple as that. I still tell some people just that. But I have also now told many people the truth. Most are supportive and interested. The only kind of negative response I got was someone who is MUCH bigger than I was who asked how I was doing it... and I felt I should be honest with her... and her response was "well I am not ready to do THAT"... but then she and I moved on from the conversation and never discussed it again lol. Before surgery I only told my husband, daughter, and maybe 3 people I work with (one had the surgery herself). Now most of my office knows and have been great.

I told people I had my Gall bladder removed, which technically it was, and now I just can’t tolerate many of the foods (high fat, sugar, carbs) that I used to eat.

Stomach Surgery. Tell them you are having stomach/digestive/health issues and need surgery. 100% accurate right?

I plan to tell my coworkers I fell and hurt my shoulder.. that way they will not ask why I need help lifting anything that is too heavy for awhile.