Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise is a Must

I am 4 months out of surgery. I am at a 3 week stand still. Back and forth from 1 lb. up and then 1 lb. down. This has been going on for 3 weeks as I said. The problem is I am unable to walk anywhere except the house. I do make it to doctor appointments but the every day exercise is lacking. I have an eliptical machine I'm afraid to get on because I have unsupportive knees and a fused hip. SO.......what to do? I have to exercise. Yes I can walk around the house with my walker but it's not doing the trick. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks for reading this.

Eliptical can be hard work even for those who don't have limitations.

I know you are walking around the house but is that just incidental...as in only doing what you need to to get from room to room? Or is deliberate exercise?

If deliberate exercise can you take it outside for 10minutes (or whatever it is that goes beyond what you can currently do), go beyond just a minute or two and build on from there? What about swimming is that an option for you? Water aerobics a possibility?

If mobility is the issue, what about some handweights and ankle weights that will help build some strength and as the weight drops hopefully you will have some more mobility to exercise beyond what you would be doing.

Is an exercise physiologist available to you? They are great for people who have health or physical limitations in their exercise capabilities and design programs around that.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

36 minutes ago, Callalily said:

I am 4 months out of surgery. I am at a 3 week stand still. Back and forth from 1 lb. up and then 1 lb. down. This has been going on for 3 weeks as I said. The problem is I am unable to walk anywhere except the house. I do make it to doctor appointments but the every day exercise is lacking. I have an eliptical machine I'm afraid to get on because I have unsupportive knees and a fused hip. SO.......what to do? I have to exercise. Yes I can walk around the house with my walker but it's not doing the trick. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks for reading this.

could you use an excercise machine that can be done sitting down ? we have not long bought one . It’s called a Mini Mobilty Trainer, and is brilliant if you have mobilty issues - as I have .We are in the UK, so bought it from a UK TV Channel, but I’m sure they could be shipped abroad .

Edited by PEGGO

There are seated exercises for the disabled. Google that and you'll find plenty of information and videos to get you started.

I provide this not to discourage you from getting up and walking. By all means, if you are able to, get up and walk around (even with the walker) as often as you can. There are plenty of studies out there that show that the more we sit, the shorter our lifespan is. However, if you have knees that aren't stable and a fused hip, a lot of weight-bearing activities may be difficult or impossible, not to mention unsafe.

You can do chair yoga and other seated exercises like weight lifting and range of motion exercises for your arms, using bands, etc.

Exercise is NOT A MUST. It is good for your health, and highly recommended, but it is not a must. People should not be led to believe that a lack of exercise will result in weight loss failure. It is a component of a healthy life style and builds muscles, but weight loss is not dependent on it.

i have seen too many people fail on these type of programs with the excuse that they can't exercise, when all they need to do is consume less than they expend.

Many weight loss failures are based on misinformation and bad science excuses that are given out as well intended encouragement, but result in the exact opposite of the advise that should be given.

If the OP is currently somewhat incapacitated due to excess weight and other physical problems we would all be better off helping her with the actual problem causing her stall " eating too much" than making it appear that somehow her inability to exercise is the problem.

Holy crap, there are people in comas that lose weight if they don't feed them enough.

Dear Calillily: How many total calories are you consuming per day over the last couple of weeks, and how many calories were you consuming on say day 30?

Keep the faith.

Stalls while frustrating are also part of the process. Our bodies sometimes need to take a pause and catch up with all the rapid changes. Keep following your team's directions, maybe increase fluids, and you might find that you have greater ability to move as you continue your journey.

6 hours ago, Callalily said:

Stalls and plateaus will happen. See embrace the stall link below. Read through the posts. Know that you are not alone. Exercise will compliment your health and weight loss. Exercise is a choice. Weight loss is more dependent on diet if you don't exercise.(I'm not encouraging sedation for those of us that have the ability to move)

You are asking what you can do as exercise, Below are some options

Do what is in your ability level. Walk in the house. physical therapy, They can help set up exercises for your limitations and avoiding injury. Chair stretching, chair cardio, chair light weight lifting, chair HIIT.

I love Pahla B Fittness - If interested, Subscribe to her page. Look for her seated workouts.

Wishing you all the best.

What is the reason you cannot get put to walk? Weather, medical reasons, cannot afford a gym membership? If you can get out, go to a big box store or any store for that matter and grab a shopping and start walking there. If you cannot get out due to medical reasons, then there are a lot of chair exercise videos out there as others have suggested above.

Have to tried "under the desk" equipment before? I have a sit-stand desk at work and under my desk I have a "desk cycle" bike like thing. You just need a stationary chair (or put an office chair against the desk or a wall) and start peddling. I am looking at the under the desk elipticals and/or a little stepper that I can store under my desk for a change of pace. I am leaning towards the stepper because I can do the cycle while sitting and the stepper while standing at my desk at work, but for you I would think the sitting cycle or stepper would be the better starting point.

If you get either of these devices, just make sure you don't just get the cheapest one you find. Those tend to not be well built and don't work well after a few uses. But... I bought my current desk cycle for $150 and it is high quality and works smoothly. Always look at reviews before your purchase.

If you don't want to buy equipment... look for some sitting exercise youtube videos and things like that.