Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost / Gained 100 Pounds

Back in 2012, I got gastric sleeve surgery. Over the course of a year, I lost about 100 pounds. Then I plateaued. Then I slowly started gaining weight back. Recently, my weight has gone back up to what it was on the day of my surgery. 😞

Just got to the bottom weight but WTF - Has to be a nutritious problem - I would defiantly see your Doc and a Nutritionist -

Time to do it again, you whipped its ass once you can do it again. This is my first day trying to not lose and not gain and posts like this scare the F#$ck out of me.

1 hour ago, Shparks said:

Back in 2012, I got gastric sleeve surgery. Over the course of a year, I lost about 100 pounds. Then I plateaued. Then I slowly started gaining weight back. Recently, my weight has gone back up to what it was on the day of my surgery. 😞

Do you know what did it ? This exact same thing has happened to my son , who also had a Gastric Sleeve. He is now talking about having it changed to a bypass .

I would go back to your surgeon to make sure everything with your sleeve is still OK. Most likely it is, but it's still good to check. If it is, it should still work - it'll just take longer this time to lose the weight. Go back to basics - Protein first, then veggies, then, if you have room, a small serving of fruit or "good" carbs (like whole grains). Watch your portions. Log everything that goes into your mouth. Exercise regularly. You know the drill.

it takes work to maintain a weight loss. This isn't a "set & forget" kind of deal - the surgery is a strong tool that serves as a strong tail wind to get you where you want to go, but it also requires a lot of work on your part to keep it off. At almost five years out, I still weigh/measure most things and track everything I eat. I have to stay within my maintenance calorie range or my weight starts heading north pretty quickly. Yes there are days I overdo it, but then I'm back on track the next day. I CAN'T let it get out of hand or I'll wind up gaining it back. I also weigh myself daily (although once a week is fine, too, if the daily fluctuations bother you). When my weight starts to creep out of my "acceptable" range, I'm back on it. It can be a pain sometimes, but then, I never EVER want to back where I started!!!

good luck to you. You can do this!

3 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

the surgery is a strong tool that serves as a strong tail wind to get you where you want to go,

Sorry cat women I am stealing the phrase above - Dead One! - Complain to fluffy i steal are here quotes all the time

4 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Sorry cat women I am stealing the phrase above - Dead One! - Complain to fluffy i steal are here quotes all the time

fine by me!

Are you going to see your nutritionist and work on getting the weight back off? Are you still doing the diet program of 80 g of Protein, 64 oz of Water, and below 1000 calories?

I strongly recommend the thread “the importance of doing the head work”. Although someone said this regain is likely a nutrition problem, I suspect it is likely an eating/food intake/food choices problem!

Some doctors sell this surgery as ‘set and forget’ but it isn’t! The initial weight-loss phase with a new small stomach is just a chance to start in with new habits - less addictive sugar, more veggies and grains etc.

All is not lost! Can you reset now, go back to your original diet plan? It will be hard at first, but in 3 weeks you’ll be in the groove and losing again...

2 hours ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

I strongly recommend the thread “the importance of doing the head work”. Although someone said this regain is likely a nutrition problem, I suspect it is likely an eating/food intake/food choices problem!

Some doctors sell this surgery as ‘set and forget’ but it isn’t! The initial weight-loss phase with a new small stomach is just a chance to start in with new habits - less addictive sugar, more veggies and grains etc.

All is not lost! Can you reset now, go back to your original diet plan? It will be hard at first, but in 3 weeks you’ll be in the groove and losing again...

i cant agree more this is more important for me than the food i put in my mouth

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I would go back to your surgeon to make sure everything with your sleeve is still OK. Most likely it is, but it's still good to check. If it is, it should still work - it'll just take longer this time to lose the weight. Go back to basics - Protein first, then veggies, then, if you have room, a small serving of fruit or "good" carbs (like whole grains). Watch your portions. Log everything that goes into your mouth. Exercise regularly. You know the drill.

it takes work to maintain a weight loss. This isn't a "set & forget" kind of deal - the surgery is a strong tool that serves as a strong tail wind to get you where you want to go, but it also requires a lot of work on your part to keep it off. At almost five years out, I still weigh/measure most things and track everything I eat. I have to stay within my maintenance calorie range or my weight starts heading north pretty quickly. Yes there are days I overdo it, but then I'm back on track the next day. I CAN'T let it get out of hand or I'll wind up gaining it back. I also weigh myself daily (although once a week is fine, too, if the daily fluctuations bother you). When my weight starts to creep out of my "acceptable" range, I'm back on it. It can be a pain sometimes, but then, I never EVER want to back where I started!!!

good luck to you. You can do this!

I heart everything about this post!!!!

6 hours ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

I also heart everything about this post!!!!

3 hours ago, VIKING 0424 said:

i cant agree more this is more important for me than the food i put in my mouth

And I love this one too!!!!

17 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

This is my first day trying to not lose and not gain and posts like this scare the F#$ck out of me.

Oh, sorry. 😦

16 hours ago, PEGGO said:

Do you know what did it ? This exact same thing has happened to my son , who also had a Gastric Sleeve. He is now talking about having it changed to a bypass .

I can eat more food in one sitting now than I could during that first year. I think the sleeve gets a little bigger over time. I can't eat as much as I did before the surgery, but it is still too much. I am also looking into doing the Gastric Bypass.

15 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Are you going to see your nutritionist and work on getting the weight back off? Are you still doing the diet program of 80 g of Protein, 64 oz of Water, and below 1000 calories?

I never had a nutritionist or a specific diet plan like that.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:42 AM, Shparks said:

I can eat more food in one sitting now than I could during that first year. I think the sleeve gets a little bigger over time. I can't eat as much as I did before the surgery, but it is still too much. I am also looking into doing the Gastric Bypass.

what ever you decide , I wish you all the very best . 😀

On 1/3/2020 at 5:42 AM, Shparks said:

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well 😀