Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going Vegan... Is It Possible?

I'd prefer answers from practicing post-op vegans or medical professionals and not conjecture and guesses, please.

I am 17 years Post-Op and my family and I have started exploring moving to plant-based eating for overall health benefits. The question is: Can a DS patient successfully transition to plant-based eating or am I setting myself up for a lifetime of diarrhea, stomach issues, etc.?

If I can go plant-based, what foods should I focus on/avoid?

Thanks in advance.

I do, I just want answers from people with experience not opinions.

Seriously? Are you going to buy your entire lifetime supply of vegetables in advance ?

Just try it for a while. Your body will tell you what it thinks.

23 minutes ago, KennyM said:

I do, I just want answers from people with experience not opinions.

This. Is. All. We. Have 😅

I'm joking of course. I hope you find the answers you need.

I was vegetarian for 10yrs and vegan for 1 yr prior to WLS. I thought I would be able to easily slip back in but could not during the losing phase because it was time consuming to pair the Protein sources properly.

Years out it may be much easier however you may see some gains if you reintroduce higher carb items you gave up for a while. But the trade off is presumed optimized health (you'll have to test it out and see for yourself. Be flexible with your expectation as a DS person)

My tips:

+Pre packaged vegan cuisine is very expensive and essentially the junk food you want to rarely eat. Use as meal starters (like vegan sausage etc)

+Avoid as much soy as you can as a male so you don't introduce high levels of plant estrogen hormones. If you must eat verified organic

+Pair those Proteins properly - can not say that enough.

+Make as much as you can from scratch, meal prep especially stews and Soups

+Do not become a rastapastaterian 😅

+Learn to love lentils, legumes, chia, mushrooms and leafy greens

What works mostly for me now is flexitarian (occasional animal protein) or ovo lacto pescaterian (my favorite version very easy to sustain) lifestyle. In the end veganism was unsustainable for me especially the restrictions about honey (I used it in skincare & first aid 😔)

Edited by GreenTealael

You see @Fatboyslim1 this response was exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am not buying a lifetime supply, I am asking a real question, one that I am hoping to get some solid guidance on. Of course I am going to try it, but I am seeking guidance and depth from people who have gone vegan or professionals in the bariatric space.

Thanks @GreenTealael for that answer. I know that Beans KILL me, so I do avoid them. I have been playing with recipes and trying to figure it out. Transitioning from a meatetarian to a, herbivore after 52 years is a big shift.

5 minutes ago, KennyM said:

Thanks @GreenTealael for that answer. I know that Beans KILL me, so I do avoid them. I have been playing with recipes and trying to figure it out. Transitioning from a meatetarian to a, herbivore after 52 years is a big shift.

Beans are a big part of a whole food styled vegan diet, you may also want to reach out to a bariatric nutritionist ito see what advice they can offer

Edited by GreenTealael

I don't have a DS I have a bypass. I'm a vegetarian, NOT a vegan (I use dairy and eggs). So far nothing has bothered me. You probably are already taking B12 supplements, Multivitamins and Calcium? Getting enough Protein might be a challenge for you, especially if you won't use whey isolate. I eat tofu, Beans, lentils, eggs, cheese and Peanut Butter for my protein source.

My dietician knows about my food choices and says it can be easily done for a vegetarian. Hopes this helps some.

@KennyM

17 years out. You have done fantastic.

Yes, vegan can be done. Link to the vegetarian/vegan bariatric thread on this site below. It may help to read the past posts. They can answer questions from experience.

Vegetarian/vegan 101:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1101-vegetarian-or-vegan-eating/

44 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Thanks for this! I appreciate you.

@KennyM

17 years out. You have done fantastic.

Yes, vegan can be done. Link to the vegetarian/vegan bariatric thread on this site below. It may help to read the past posts. They can answer questions from experience.

Vegetarian/vegan 101:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1101-vegetarian-or-vegan-eating/

Is there any reason behind the change of diet..

I feel it's like everyone these days thinks it's so trendy to be vegan but I know I could not live without meat.

Civilization was built on hunting and gathering from cavemen days...

But I say have a go try it out see how you feel on the new diet.