Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE ISSUE WITH CARBONATED DRINKS??? & other questions!

I never got any information from my surgeon and I thought I'd ask the veterans on here what exactly is the medical reason behind the *NO* carbonated drinks like a soda?
I was really craving something today so I had a small no sugar coke just to see how I felt; I was very busy today realised at the last moment I got the wrong drink but I took it very slow small sips and haven't noticed any side effects?
I drink coffee during the day but also lots of Water everyday.
I've hit a stall the past few days I'm not sure if it's the coffee or the fact I'm very close to the end.
I'm currently 212; my ultimate end goal is between 180-190lbs...
Maybe the last 20+lbs will be more STUBBORN?
I must admit my activity level is minimal and that is my own fault I lack motivation most days..
I know I'll need to get into some kind of exercise; I've got a stationary bike but I really want to get a rowing machine for the whole body workout..
What do ppl think about rowing machines?
Sorry this is a multi part question...
Thanks.
Mike.

I cheated and went back to drinking diet coke (in small amounts) about two months after my sleeve surgery. At first it gave me heartburn, but by about three months out I was able to consume a 6-oz bottle with no problem.

Then came the nightmare. A few days ago, I drank about 2-3 oz of diet coke, and a few minutes later started having the worst stomach pains I have ever had in my life. It got so bad I ended up in the ER, in such pain that I was sweating and could barely talk. The pain subsided after an hour or two, but a few hours later, after eating a small dinner and drinking some Water a half hour after the meal, the pain came back so bad they had to give me morphine.

They ran tests and imaging studies and couldn't find anything wrong (except that I was constipated, which is my new norm post surgery), so the only suspect is that Diet Coke!

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

Old Post.......

I'm now 5 months post op doing really well I do indulge here and there on a sugar free energy drink and has not caused me any issues at all..

Lost 150lbs since my pre-op 7 months ago 😁

On 3/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, catchthewind said:

I cheated and went back to drinking diet coke (in small amounts) about two months after my sleeve surgery. At first it gave me heartburn, but by about three months out I was able to consume a 6-oz bottle with no problem.

Then came the nightmare. A few days ago, I drank about 2-3 oz of diet coke, and a few minutes later started having the worst stomach pains I have ever had in my life. It got so bad I ended up in the ER, in such pain that I was sweating and could barely talk. The pain subsided after an hour or two, but a few hours later, after eating a small dinner and drinking some Water a half hour after the meal, the pain came back so bad they had to give me morphine.

They ran tests and imaging studies and couldn't find anything wrong (except that I was constipated, which is my new norm post surgery), so the only suspect is that Diet Coke!

Addendum: I went to my PCP following my discharge and she says the pain had nothing to do with the soda. The C-T scan they did in the hospital showed gallstones (I don't know why the doctor in the hospital didn't notice that) and my PCP says it was a gall bladder attack.

I heard carbonation stretches the stomach

What did you decide about the rower? I have one at my gym which I miss. Stationary bike or biking outdoors never gets my heart rate much above 115 120 bpm. Running the rowing machine and elliptical are my go to cardio options. I do cycle for family fun

On 4/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, MsMocie said:

It don't.

From my post on december 29th👇

"When you drink carbonated drinks then the gas in these inflates the stomach and takes up a lot of room in the stomach. If you get used to the feeling you get when you drink them, you may start to have more trouble recognizing the subtle fullness signals of smaller food portions. Meaning you start to eat bigger food portions to feel full. So, the carbonated drinks to not stretch the stomach itself but the excess gas in the stomach interferes with the identification of fullness meaning you will eat bigger portions, and this can lead to the impression that the stomach is “stretched” out.

Also, the gas in the drink can cause burping or bloating and in the beginning, when eating and drinking is more challenging, it can cause pain. And as most carbonated beverages are sweet e.g. lemonade, energy drinks, cola drinks, spritzers, diet cola etc, then we do see that if people drink carbonated drinks on a regular basis, they tend to have more cravings of sweet-tasting food.< /span>

From my doc 🖕"

Thank you so much for the explanation. This really explains why some docs say no to it and others dont really care when it comes to unflavoured carbonated water-

I am almost 2 years post op. I still have not had any carbonated drinks at all. I was told no drinking through a straw or carbonated drinks. I think you should follow what your surgeon suggest. Mine recommended none so that’s what I stick with and am happy without them anyways. I gave up diet cokes two years before my surgery so it wasn’t hard for me to not drink them.

1 hour ago, Kris77 said:

I gave up diet cokes two years before my surgery so it wasn’t hard for me to not drink them.

I gave up diet coke before my surgery as well and boy did it make a difference. Oddly enough, diet coke is too fizzy for me to drink, but the carbonated Water at home is just fine. I think it isnt as fizzy. BUT getting off 95% sweeteners (natural and man-made) really helped with craving sweets

I am gaining weight back— appetite increase! Had gastric sleeve 7/11/16. Lost 102 lbs. and have gained back 26! Any suggestions besides clamping my mouth?!

I have been told that carbonated beverages to drink are bad because the carbonation bloats u and can stretch your stomach back out and the acid isn’t any gd for us either.. a friend of mine had gastric bypass as well and she said that when she was craving a pop she would swish and spit and not swallow.. lol never tried it personally but it worked for her. Hope this helps