Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Much Soup for One Meal?

I'm 9 days out, and on the liquid diet. I am able to have an entire small can of Campbells healthy request Tomato Soup in one sitting. Adding one Soup can of Water and heat it up. I pour it into a large coffee cup and sip it down in 20-30min. No stomach distention.

It seems odd, but could any of you stomach that much liquid?

Liquid goes through the stomach fairly quickly and you may be able to consume come than you should be at this time.

Did you have guidelines as to the maximum volume you should be consuming per meal? If so, perhaps you should stick with the guidelines. Don't want to put to much pressure on a stomach that is in the healing stage.

They want me starting at 4oz, and keep trying to get to 8oz over the next week. When I made my first can, I expected to sip down until I felt stomach distension. Never got a signal, so I slowly sip and spoon it down.

7 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

liquid goes through the stomach fairly quickly and you may be able to consume come than you should be at this tim

No rubber stopper in the stomach drain - Be careful you send to much thru and going to be a blow out, I could handle a can of Soup and Water also but would pace it over 15 minutes or so

Soup is my go to as well. Just don't consume high calorie crap like cream of.....

6 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Soup is my go to as well. Just don't consume high calorie crap like cream of.....

I have every Soup base there is - Soups and stews are my lifeline still to this day -

10 hours ago, mike2019 said:

I'm 9 days out, and on the liquid diet. I am able to have an entire small can of Campbells healthy request Tomato Soup in one sitting. Adding one Soup can of Water and heat it up. I pour it into a large coffee cup and sip it down in 20-30min. No stomach distention.

It seems odd, but could any of you stomach that much liquid?

Yes, me too! I was concerned as well until I read some of the remarks here and my first post-op I told my doctor about it and he didn't seem concerned now, on Christmas day I will transition to the pureed stage and I barely can now take in half a can of the Soup. I think as each one has said is that the nerves are starting to talk to one another and now I am feeling the results of the RNY.

I had the sleeve.

Thanks for the great feedback. I will surely discuss with my dietitian too. I need to remember the 3 meals per day plan and not do this as a "snack". That's where the triple zero greek yogurt supplements my Protein.

I just don't wanna bust a leak. I do sip it down over 20-30min, but if I'm just forcing undigested Soup into my intestines by having more than 8oz that's good to know also.

3 hours ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Funny you mention that! My first Soup tried was cream of mushroom. I do pick the Healthy Request cans. Like a dodo I missed the add 1can Water on the label. While eating it, I was shocked how rich and flavorful it was haha.

Lesson learned....Campbells not the same as Progresso where it's ready to heat n serve.

Now THAT ONE had me lightheaded for hours! NEVER AGAIN!

Edited by mike2019

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I could have probably handled the liquid. The acid in the Tomato is another story, though.

I'm taking antacid Omeprazole 2x day for the first month out.

1 hour ago, mike2019 said:

Funny you mention that! My first Soup tried was cream of mushroom. I do pick the Healthy Request cans. Like a dodo I missed the add 1can Water on the label. While eating it, I was shocked how rich and flavorful it was haha.

Lesson learned....Campbells not the same as Progresso where it's ready to heat n serve.

Now THAT ONE had me lightheaded for hours! NEVER AGAIN!

You can use Fairlife FF milk to add Protein without making hugely caloric too! You can also stir in a spoon of Greek yogurt to make it richer and add to the protein content. You can also add nutritional yeast to up the B Vitamins and also add a little parmesan to up the protein as well!