Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IMO had surgery Monday 12:16 and I’m wondering how you slept right after surgery, at home? We don’t have a recliner unfortunately. The best part about the hospital was the adjustable angles of the bed. I’ve piled pillows to thee sides of me and used a back pillow to sleep sitting up so far. When we’re you able to sleep on your side? What helped you to be more comfortable?

Sorry for any typos, when creating a post through the app, the background is black as well as the words making it impossible to see what you’re typing lol

What I found helped me after both my Lap-Band 13 years ago, and my Lap-Band removal / conversion to bypass last week was having a body pillow on each side of me to prop against. This applies gentle pressure to my sides as needed, then two pillows for my head to adjust height as needed. I do have an adjustable bed this time around, but for my initial Lap-Band I did not.

Even with that it was still difficult to sleep the first 5 or so nights home. I got about 2 hours of sleep at night, with another 1 hour nap during the day. I normally sleep on my side 100% of the time, immediately after surgery I slept on my back. After those first five days I've gradually kind of started sleeping more at an angle / somewhat on my side. I use the body pillow on the side I am facing for support, which helps keep some of the pressure off the incision on my right side.

I was up and down throughout the night for the first few days at home after release from the hospital. By a week later it had all resolved itself and was back to normal.

I’m 6 days post op and I do get up and down throughout the night. The first couple I tried getting up and walking. I’m not in any pain, really just have night sweats which is strange. Hope you feel better. Ive been in a regular bed which I feel is better than the hospital and all the tubes

I can't remember how long it was before I could sleep on my side - maybe two or three weeks? I never used a recliner - I just propped myself up with regular pillows and body pillows.

My back is bothering me from sleeping on it since I'm a side sleeper. I was able to tolerate a couple hours last night propped up on my left side. I used a body pillow to lean against and had the bottom of it in between my legs. Tonight the plan is to take a nice hot shower and take 1 pain pill to help me get more comfortable. I'm using at least 4 pillows to help prop me up and keep me comfortable. I'm 2 days post op

I had a wedge pillow already for GERD and it definitely helped, but the worst part for me was actually getting up and laying down - I had terrible pains in my abs from using them to shift position. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out now and sleeping relatively normally, including sleeping on my stomach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, Cheeseburper said:

What I found helped me after both my Lap-Band 13 years ago, and my Lap-Band removal / conversion to bypass last week was having a body pillow on each side of me to prop against. This applies gentle pressure to my sides as needed, then two pillows for my head to adjust height as needed. I do have an adjustable bed this time around, but for my initial Lap-Band I did not.

Even with that it was still difficult to sleep the first 5 or so nights home. I got about 2 hours of sleep at night, with another 1 hour nap during the day. I normally sleep on my side 100% of the time, immediately after surgery I slept on my back. After those first five days I've gradually kind of started sleeping more at an angle / somewhat on my side. I use the body pillow on the side I am facing for support, which helps keep some of the pressure off the incision on my right side.

Okay thank you. May have the hubs go get me a body pillow, I’m hogging all the bed pillows lol had to grab one off of the couch

7 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I was up and down throughout the night for the first few days at home after release from the hospital. By a week later it had all resolved itself and was back to normal.

Ohh I just can’t wait to be normal again lol

6 hours ago, jlb8080 said:

I’m 6 days post op and I do get up and down throughout the night. The first couple I tried getting up and walking. I’m not in any pain, really just have night sweats which is strange. Hope you feel better. Ive been in a regular bed which I feel is better than the hospital and all the tubes

I’ve been having night sweats too. Idk if it’s the meds or what but yeah. I especially had them in the hospital. At home I’m more relaxed for sure just at the hospital I didn’t have to worry about anyone else in the bed with me

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I can't remember how long it was before I could sleep on my side - maybe two or three weeks? I never used a recliner - I just propped myself up with regular pillows and body pillows.

Whew 2-3 weeks? I guess it could be worse.

4 hours ago, JediMom said:

My back is bothering me from sleeping on it since I'm a side sleeper. I was able to tolerate a couple hours last night propped up on my left side. I used a body pillow to lean against and had the bottom of it in between my legs. Tonight the plan is to take a nice hot shower and take 1 pain pill to help me get more comfortable. I'm using at least 4 pillows to help prop me up and keep me comfortable. I'm 2 days post op

I did sleep pretty decent after my shower last night..or maybe it was the exhaustion lol. I tapered on the pills throughout the day today. And tomorrow is my last day being home “alone”..kiddos will be home with me after that 😩 so I’m trying not to need the pain meds. Just took some now though so I can hopefully get decent rest again

1 hour ago, despacit0w0 said:

I had a wedge pillow already for GERD and it definitely helped, but the worst part for me was actually getting up and laying down - I had terrible pains in my abs from using them to shift position. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out now and sleeping relatively normally, including sleeping on my stomach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I can’t wait to sleep on my stomach again! I’m a side and tummy sleeper, I need options lol. I agree with the ab pains from getting up and down. I have a heating pad ive been using that feels great and try to use a pillow for pressure and it kinda helps