Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2016 now have Hiatal herniaDr recommends RYN? Recovery?

Sleeved 2017 no problems and recovery was fast and easy. Now experience Issues with hiatal hernia. Surgeon has me do upper UGI and endoscopy recommends RYNY ti remove hernia and help with Gerd. Anyone done this how is the recovery?

My hiatal hernia was repaired at the time of my RNY. No problems and recovery was the same as for RNY.

Thank you wondering if the pain is more than the sleeve although I don’t remember much pain from the sleeve

I think a lot of it is relative to your prior experiences. I've had broken ribs, a broken pelvis, open hysterectomy, a total knee replacement, thoracic surgery to remove a tumor from my esophagus, and two babies. ALL of these had far more pain than the RNY. RNY was a piece of cake. Yes, there was soreness and pain for a week or two, especially on our bumpy road, but each week got better and easier. I needed a couple doses of morphine during the first night in the hospital. After I got home, I took a couple doses of Tramadol and then it was liquid Tylenol only. I started walking right away and was up to 10,000 steps by the end of the first week. I was really worried about gas pain. I don't know why that concerned me so much, but I never had any gas pain at all, which was great.

If you got through the sleeve OK, you will be fine with RNY.

I just had to do this exact same revision for exact same reason 3 weeks ago.

The first week was rough but I think that it was not as painful as my sleeve was. At 3 weeks out things are getting much better.

My restriction is much tighter since revision than it was with sleeve. My surgery was scheduled for 4 hours but ended up taking 5.5 hours. Once my surgeon took a look from the inside my hernia ended up being huge. He did a repair with mesh. I had robotic surgery.

I do hope that helped and good luck!

Edited by Losingit2018

15 minutes ago, carlacv said:

Thank you wondering if the pain is more than the sleeve although I don’t remember much pain from the sleeve

Hopefully my post above answered this for you. I wanted to add that I did get the stomach numbing injections on both sides during surgery. I think that it helped a lot.

i did not get those injections with my sleeve.

Edited by Losingit2018

My surgeon want to put me out for 6 weeks but that sounds really long

I was back to work in two weeks, with lifting restriction (nursing).

Not sure about 6 weeks but, I will say that getting my energy levels back up has been hard.

If I were given a choice, I would probably take 4 weeks. At least by then you would be eating semi normally. The extreme low calorie diet has just zipped my energy. I know that everyone is different though.

I had gastric sleeve revision to RNY on Monday (today is Wednesday). This was due to uncontrollable GERD which caused Barrett's Esophagus and a a hiatal hernia . The total procedure was ~ 3 hours. I have had my left hip replaced (twice, due to a recall) and VSG. The RNY was for sure the most painful of all. I believe it was mostly due to the surgical gas and it is dissipating (Gas-X did seem to help). Swallowing is already better without the hernia and I haven't had a lick of acid reflux which is amazing after a 7 year battle post-VSG. I had kept most of my weight off (5'11" / 205#) and so they didn't bypass as much of my intestines as normal and they made the pouch bigger. While I didn't have to do a pre-op supervised diet, because insurance treated it as a GERD-related procedure, I still had to do the group sessions at the hospital which was a repeat of all I know. For me the battle was accepting that I needed revision, I viewed it as a failure of the original WLS which was not the case -- I had kept 100#+ off for 7 years. But there is just that perception.

Thank you so much very informative I truly appreciate it! I’m just awaiting final approval from my insurance but I should have it by the end of the week then just await for surgery.

I just found out today I was denied for a revision because even though it's for GERD my insurance says the GERD is a complication from weight loss surgery and therefore they won't pay. I hate insurance!

Sorry to hear that bikerchick519 I’m awaiting surgery my insurance covers the revision