Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor prescribed Flintstones, 3 a day, for me. Can you do those?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

[mention=356253]tal[/mention]
70 lost in five months is fantastic. 65 pounds to go. You never know where exercise can take you. Be open to the possibilities. find what you enjoy and be consistent. Use it as “me time” and self care. (Don't let anyone interrupt) It’s another way to develop healthy habits. You can use it to replace stress/emotional eating and process life’s issues. Start slow and build up.
What gets you motivated to workout?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • Exercise is a choice. The next the next seven month are going to go by if you workout or not. Decide where you want to be in your first year.
  • Some days I need perspective, not motivation. A cancer patient with three months to live would gladly trade places for our weight loss struggles.
  • If you workout during the winter, what could your body look like by summer?
  • Motivation to exercise can be hard, bariatrics is hard and being obese is hard. Choose your hard.
  • Exercise will compliment your weight loss. For many of us, the last 20lbs are difficult to lose.
  • Each month’s choices are the next month’s body.
  • Weightlifting (gym or home) can help fill the loose skin a bit.
  • If it’s important to you, you will find a way to get it in. If it’s not you will find excuses
Oh, I love all your mantras, but the last one - I've always thought it to be so anti, so counter, so demeaning. It discounts the actual struggle people have. Of course a person's struggle matters; being time-constricted or having troubles prioritizing doesn't help. Urg! That one always gets me on a soapbox. Just had to say that! [emoji1] [emoji1]

Thanks for sharing, though! I might hang up a few of the other ones for myself!

Red

3 minutes ago, RedDackel said:

If it’s important to you, you will find a way to get it in. If it’s not you will find excuses

It's only annoying to you because it creates a conflict in what you KNOW to be true, and what you PREFER to want to defend as your position which is counter to it. So you are doing bias confirmation and the obvious response is a defensive position.

But it's true. If it were a twinkie and you were jonesing for a twinkie. I don't care if your house was on fire, or you were gonna be 15 minutes late for x, y, or z. You would stop and enjoy the fu*k outta that twinkie...just sayin'.

13 minutes ago, RedDackel said:

Oh, I love all your mantras, but the last one - I've always thought it to be so anti, so counter, so demeaning. It discounts the actual struggle people have. Of course a person's struggle matters; being time-constricted or having troubles prioritizing doesn't help. Urg! That one always gets me on a soapbox. Just had to say that!

Thanks for sharing, though! I might hang up a few of the other ones for myself!

Red

No probleem to be on a soap box. Some things stike a nerve in people.

Take what’s useful on this site and ignore the rest. These are things for my personal motivation over the years – I have had my struggles.

Find whatever motivates you.

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

It's only annoying to you because it creates a conflict in what you KNOW to be true, and what you PREFER to want to defend as your position which is counter to it. So you are doing bias confirmation and the obvious response is a defensive position.

But it's true. If it were a twinkie and you were jonesing for a twinkie. I don't care if your house was on fire, or you were gonna be 15 minutes late for x, y, or z. You would stop and enjoy the fu*k outta that twinkie...just sayin'.

- Actually, not so much. :) My background is that I'm a Licensed Clinical Psychologist - there are very real and concerning messages this mantra sends. That said, if it works and motivates you, then great, Fluffy, but I'm more concerned with the message it sends to others.

- Confirmation Bias is not exactly as you described, but you're talking my world, so it's delightful to hear psychology being applied. Confirmation Bias is when you limit your intake of new information or limit that which would challenge a preconceived notion and the way we think about something. Your general definition is sorta right, but it wrong application.

Take care,

Red

Hey everyone! I am currently 5 months post op and I am loving this new life. I get told everyday how good I'm looking and how I lost a lot of weight I just don't really see it I guess yet🤷‍♀️ I am however having issues with my vitamins and I'm lacking motivation hard with exercising! What Vitamins can you keep down? Like I think my biggest thing are the MULTIVITAMINS. I get sick every time so I end up not taking my Vitamins which is horrible and I don't want to do that.
What gets you motivated to workout?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Unless you're a really stoic, disciplined person, I think you need to have something you enjoy (at least a little bit).

In my case it's working the elliptical while watching a really engrossing TV show. I can't say I love it, but looking forward to the next episode keeps me motivated!

Also, making it a habit is crucial. For years I exercised religiously the minute I walked in the door after work. It was like being on autopilot. After a two-month break due to extenuating circumstances, I found it incredibly difficult to get back into it. If you force yourself to do it at a regular time every day (or every weekday) for a few weeks, it will become just a part of your daily routine.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

6 minutes ago, catchthewind said:

Also, making it a habit is crucial. For years I exercised religiously the minute I walked in the door after work. It was like being on autopilot.

This 100000000000%!!! I wake up early to get my 45-60 walk in! That way I KNOW I've done what I "must" do for the day and every other added step is a bonus. Right? It feels so empowering! And now after doing it day-in and day-out, it is a habit. I don't feel right on the days where I skip it!