Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update and question...oh the pain

@FluffyChix my thought too why the decompression??? Thankfully it’s a small amount of Fluid I’m hoping all that has cleared.

@AZhiker great information but I’ll pass on anything that’ll possibly make me aspirate. That’s part of the reason I needed to have the surgery the GERD caused a lot of aspirating in my sleep quite often any given week.

@always I’m definitely familiar with mineral oil my mom tried to give it to me as a kid or castor oil but it never made it down before I’d spit it back up. I am definitely doing the spirometer more often.

@AZhiker seriously Aspiration is your thought process. I don't need a response but a totally ridicules statement. Hospital setting they still use MOM with mineral oil mixture. Looking at her profile pix young healthy and vertical so based on what risk factors in your assessment. Again I don't need a defending response from you

1 hour ago, always said:

@AZhiker seriously Aspiration is your thought process. I don't need a response but a totally ridicules statement. Hospital setting they still use MOM with mineral oil mixture. Looking at her profile pix young healthy and vertical so based on what risk factors in your assessment. Again I don't need a defending response from you

My defense on no mineral oil would be that she's newly post surgical and barely able to get liquids down. So if it upset her stomach (especially being RNY = low oil) and she got into an emergency situation with vomiting or it backing up in her esophagus, it could be disasterous. Also what @MsBrown76 said...it's super hard to get down and keep down. I still remember the castor oil/grape juice debacle as a 5 year old. To this day I can not drink grape juice.

I'd be more tempted to do glycerine suppositories mixed with MOM unflavored. But you also have to have a LOT of Fluid to make the MOM work. So it's tricky and worse...what if she does have a complete impaction, perferation, or twist? Then what? You've just delivered serious osmolytics with no way to move down and out. That would result in a bowel burst. So it's not so simple and lay person solvable. This is a doctor situation for sure. :(

I can just tell you, it's going to be Rosemary's Baby Terrible, the longer the Constipation continues.

7 hours ago, always said:

I looked “healthy and vertical based” post op, and yet had aspiration pneumonia due to neurological dysfunction of the epiglottis (dysphasia) I also have lifelong chronic illness and disability but you don’t visually see it.

the CT showed partial blockage, do I trust CT’s um not so much. My CT’s showed narrowing of the colon, colon wall thickening and possible colitis yet a colonoscopy yielded no answers except diverticulitis. (Sorry I’ll get to the point) if the ct showed partial blockage with a combination of aspiration issues due to GERd than it’s not as simple as castor oil.

I have intestinal problems at first post op i had bloody diarrhea, ended up in the Er, then i was lucky if I went Once every two weeks. Something just gets stuck in transit in my gut. I can’t rely on laxatives I have too much muscle weakness and damage due to chronic illness. And the more you take the more dependent your body becomes. Plus I’m allergic to glycols. For some reason the magnesium citrate drink made me severely ill. As did MOM.

each person has their own things they just can’t do. Or that works but it seems This is a sensitive problem and needs the right approach. I would be concerned about laxatives at this point.

22 hours ago, MsBrown76 said:

ended up being rushed to the ER by ambulance due to sever pain CT scan was done and they found small pockets of blockage in my intestines and diagnosed me with illeus including inflammation in my intestines. I haven’t had a BM since the day before surgery. ER docs felt I needed to be admitted for pain control and further testing on the blockage, but my surgeon said no. I came home pain is still there, but developed bladder spasms this past Saturday and those contractions are worser than all my pain combined. I see my doctor tomorrow to discuss with him my options and what’s next. From day to day I’m struggling getting in liquids and my purées. Anyone have all these excess complications???

I’m surprised with all that’s going on that the doctor would suggest laxatives Rather than further testing. It’s concerning that a part of the bowel isn’t functioning as it should. And that you have inflammation. Ileus is where the portion of bowel isn’t moving things along the way it should. Maybe the doctor feels it will get better on its own as the bowel wakes up. Maybe moving around more to get your gut motility moving. Bladder spasms are probably connected they are all connected.

I’ve had a lot on my plate, some from surgery some not. I had another surgery before my gastric bypass surgery, also had my gallbladder removed along with the RNY, and then another surgery last month. I do have stricture. I’ve had difficulty with thinner liquids, and couldn’t tolerate purée. I’m slowly trying to add things late in the game.

Trying moving around. Try some gentle things like massaging your stomach in a circular motion starting from the lower right up and around to the colon, is that counter clockwise? Also if you can tolerate it try sipping Smooth Move tea. I don’t use anything long term but used liquid cascara sagrada (it tastes like a strong licorice) I didn’t mix it in anything but you could.

everything is backed up for you including gas, you don’t want to end up dehydrated or with other complications. Post op pain meds also slow the gut down. If you are still taking it the doctor can prescribe Relistor to help get things moving.

i Got frustrated with trying to get answers from my gastroenterologist and asked for a prescription for linzess. But give things a little time. It is painful but just keep trying to get Protein first look for Protein Shots so it’s small doses, and hopefully at the next appointment the doctor will order testing if it’s not improved. They might order a barium enema.

My answers are scattered and hopefully make sense my memory is terrible and my sense of timeline is worse. As long as you get answers and solutions to this that’s what matters most.

On 12/03/2019 at 12:49, Darktowerdream said:

I looked “healthy and vertical based” post op, and yet had aspiration pneumonia due to neurological dysfunction of the epiglottis (dysphasia) I also have lifelong chronic illness and disability but you don’t visually see it.

the CT showed partial blockage, do I trust CT’s um not so much. My CT’s showed narrowing of the colon, colon wall thickening and possible colitis yet a colonoscopy yielded no answers except diverticulitis. (Sorry I’ll get to the point) if the ct showed partial blockage with a combination of aspiration issues due to GERd than it’s not as simple as castor oil.

I have intestinal problems at first post op i had bloody diarrhea, ended up in the Er, then i was lucky if I went Once every two weeks. Something just gets stuck in transit in my gut. I can’t rely on laxatives I have too much muscle weakness and damage due to chronic illness. And the more you take the more dependent your body becomes. Plus I’m allergic to glycols. For some reason the magnesium citrate drink made me severely ill. As did MOM.

each person has their own things they just can’t do. Or that works but it seems This is a sensitive problem and needs the right approach. I would be concerned about laxatives at this point.

12/02/2019 02:13 PM, MsBrown76 said:

ended up being rushed to the ER by ambulance due to sever pain CT scan was done and they found small pockets of blockage in my intestines and diagnosed me with illeus including inflammation in my intestines. I haven’t had a BM since the day before surgery. ER docs felt I needed to be admitted for pain control and further testing on the blockage, but my surgeon said no. I came home pain is still there, but developed bladder spasms this past Saturday and those contractions are worser than all my pain combined. I see my doctor tomorrow to discuss with him my options and what’s next. From day to day I’m struggling getting in liquids and my purées. Anyone have all these excess complications???

I’m surprised with all that’s going on that the doctor would suggest laxatives Rather than further testing. It’s concerning that a part of the bowel isn’t functioning as it should. And that you have inflammation. Ileus is where the portion of bowel isn’t moving things along the way it should. Maybe the doctor feels it will get better on its own as the bowel wakes up. Maybe moving around more to get your gut motility moving. Bladder spasms are probably connected they are all connected.

I’ve had a lot on my plate, some from surgery some not. I had another surgery before my gastric bypass surgery, also had my gallbladder removed along with the RNY, and then another surgery last month. I do have stricture. I’ve had difficulty with thinner liquids, and couldn’t tolerate purée. I’m slowly trying to add things late in the game.

Trying moving around. Try some gentle things like massaging your stomach in a circular motion starting from the lower right up and around to the colon, is that counter clockwise? Also if you can tolerate it try sipping Smooth Move tea. I don’t use anything long term but used liquid cascara sagrada (it tastes like a strong licorice) I didn’t mix it in anything but you could.

everything is backed up for you including gas, you don’t want to end up dehydrated or with other complications. Post op pain meds also slow the gut down. If you are still taking it the doctor can prescribe Relistor to help get things moving.

i Got frustrated with trying to get answers from my gastroenterologist and asked for a prescription for linzess. But give things a little time. It is painful but just keep trying to get Protein first look for Protein Shots so it’s small doses, and hopefully at the next appointment the doctor will order testing if it’s not improved. They might order a barium enema.

My answers are scattered and hopefully make sense my memory is terrible and my sense of timeline is worse. As long as you get answers and solutions to this that’s what matters most.

Thank you your answers make perfect since. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post on this I too didn’t realize this post would elicit such passionate responses.

I’m on my way now to see my doctor to see what he’s going to recommend. I’d rather not go the laxative way either but something has to help somewhere. The older remedies I know work in a traditional sense but I’d rather not introduce anything else into my system because I don’t know what it will do.

Unfortunately that means pain and wait and see but I’m hoping he’ll have more to say.

Hugs and prayers for a swift decision. Let us know!!!

Doctor said he saw absolutely no blockage on my CT and that my body is fighting inflammation not only from the extensive surgery, but also due to SLE and Sjogrens. So he’s starting me on a muscle relaxer for the spasms and the good ole MOM - Milk of Magnesia to see if that’ll help get my bowels moving along with Miralax. Otherwise he said keep walking and trying to get liquids in and see him in two weeks. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but definitely hoping it’ll work.

2 hours ago, MsBrown76 said:

Thank you your answers make perfect since. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post on this I too didn’t realize this post would elicit such passionate responses.

I’m on my way now to see my doctor to see what he’s going to recommend. I’d rather not go the laxative way either but something has to help somewhere. The older remedies I know work in a traditional sense but I’d rather not introduce anything else into my system because I don’t know what it will do.

Unfortunately that means pain and wait and see but I’m hoping he’ll have more to say.

I agree with not wanting to introduce anything new into your system. Best of luck at the doctor that all goes well. They always make me anxious when I don’t know what to expect or say.

Edit: I was typing and just saw your reply. I hope your doctor is right. But I personally don’t always trust my doctors interpretations. A muscle relaxer might help. I take muscle relaxer for spasms but don’t necessarily find it helps my gut. Depends on what he gave you.

i dread MOM.

do try to massage your belly. I deal with daily chronic pain. And gut issues. Start gentle. I’ll try to attach a link to something to help describe what I mean. Starting from the lower right up and around to the colon you can use your knuckles to massage in small circles as you go around. My darn hands are too weak I can’t do it often but did after surgery. Or sometimes rubbing in circular motion around your belly. It’s supposed to be good for ileus, adhesions, constipation.getting gas to go through, but mainly it’s good for when the pain is bad and you don’t know what else to do.

https://pwr4life.org/forms/wellness-series-docs/Diana_BLOG_ABDOMINAL_MASSAGE.pdf

Edited by Darktowerdream