Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post-op and regretting this

It is more important to get your fluids than your Protein at this point.

Try a different brand of shake. You can also get fairlife milk from grocery store and drink it instead of shakes if you just can’t tolerate them.

I had no problem with the Premier Protein shakes pre op. Had my revision to rny last Friday and I am not able to keep premier protein down at all. I switched to Syntrax and fairlife milk.

Another thing is to make sure you are just slowly sipping your shakes. Like one ounce in 15 minutes or so. Go too fast and they will come back up due to lack of anywhere to go once your pouch is full.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Not sure about the sugar free hard candy. I will tell you that I have had a few sf butterscotch candy since surgery. I would think that as long as you are careful not to swallow them whole it would be the same as sf liquid.

Bone Broth is also available at most grocery stores and will give you about 10 grams Protein per serving. Warm liquids are easier for me to handle.

Edited by Losingit2018

Ditto what lizza123 said. I used to love Protein Shakes and one week out from a bypass I can't get them down. But the Isopure zero carb Proteins drink go down fine. Give that a try.

The sugar free popsicles are a godsend!

Hello.. I'm 8days post Op, let me tell you what I drink in a day:

Breakfast: half of a table spoon of honey+tea (in room temperature) / milk / shakes (but it should be kinda watery when you drink it)

Morning snack: half of a glass of any kind of juice(the rest is filled with water) (also it shouldn't have any pulp until you hit week 2)

Lunch: chicken/beef/fish/anything!(lol) Soup
you can put anything in it like carrots/rice etc etc, but you are gonna only drink "the water" , sometimes I even add more Water to it..my tummy hurts less that way..(after week two you can forget about adding extra water)

Afternoon snack: another glass of juice

Evening snack: honey+ tea

Dinner : same as lunch

Don't forget to drink water in between [emoji173][emoji847]

And chewing gums are not allowed!.. so are drinking straws!

Also pour everything in glasses and try to take a "sip" for like every 5 mins.. finishing the glass should take you +20 mins.. (in first few days finishing them took me 1hr or so but it's better for your tummy that way)

At the end of the day, you should have drunk 8-10 glasses in total.

Ps: why are you avoiding sugar? Avoiding it can cuz ketosis and bad breath.. you are allowed to have sugar in small amounts.. also drop the candy stuff.. even sugar free ones aren't good for you now..

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the first time I have seen juice on a bariatric meal plan. It naturally contains high amounts of sugar. My plan says no juice at all. Even after healing it is better to eat the fruit than drink the juice. I know that all plans are different but juice can’t be good. Especially this early out.

I use one ounce medicine cups to keep me from drinking too much too fast.

Thank you everyone, you have me feeling better and some more options!!!! In response to no sugar I was told all sugar free...no sugar at all. As far as mints I was just thinking for something a little solid to have in my mouth!!!

im definitely going to try the isoprene...those were never mentioned!!! Thank you!!! Okay I feel better I hope I can do this!!!!

Your expecting to much of yourself. Think of your stomach as a newborn somethings are tolerated others are not. Anything you drink should be in small amounts in small sips then let it settle. Just at this point hydration is most important to you. Protein waters at Target, grocery stores some have up to 20 gm of protein. So that way your getting both. The only protein I can tolerate is Protein Premier I actually use them with half hot Water, warm makes it easier to drink. Avoid sugars I did a lot of reasons and never saw juice was allowed post-op. It took me about a month to start feeling like I was getting enough fluids in that they wanted. Good luck and baby steps don't get frustrated it's all new.

Your expecting to much of yourself. Think of your stomach as a newborn somethings are tolerated others are not. Anything you drink should be in small amounts in small sips then let it settle. Just at this point hydration is most important to you. Protein waters at Target, grocery stores some have up to 20 gm of protein. So that way your getting both. The only protein I can tolerate is Protein Premier I actually use them with half hot Water, warm makes it easier to drink. Avoid sugars I did a lot of reasons and never saw juice was allowed post-op. It took me about a month to start feeling like I was getting enough fluids in that they wanted. Good luck and baby steps don't get frustrated it's all new.

6 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

This is the first time I have seen juice on a bariatric meal plan. It naturally contains high amounts of sugar. My plan says no juice at all. Even after healing it is better to eat the fruit than drink the juice. I know that all plans are different but juice can’t be good. Especially this early out.

I use one ounce medicine cups to keep me from drinking too much too fast.

I was surprised to see juice as well. A lot of plans don't allow it. Too much sugar.

14 hours ago, JPapenberg said:

I am completely melting down. Cannot get the shakes down!! All I’m doing is Water and sugar free pops and drinks. Is this okay?? And are sugar free mints allowed??

You're doing great. It can be tough at times so check in with your team. But likely no to the mints 😬

On 11/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, Azin said:

Ps: why are you avoiding sugar? Avoiding it can cuz ketosis and bad breath.. you are allowed to have sugar in small amounts.. also drop the candy stuff.. even sugar free ones aren't good for you now..

Why would we have or want sugar? Ketosis is great! I hope you're not suggesting recent bariatric patients eat sugar....