Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BEST TEA BAGS TO USE... and which artificial sugar??

Hello everyone

Post surgery I've really started to enjoy my evening cups of tea :)

I have some black tea bags laying around but I was wondering is it better to use green tea or is there an even healthier option out there.

I'm using no sugar so I may have to go buy some Splenda or something like equal sachets.

I put maybe an oz of soy milk with my tea or even sometimes all black tea..

I never really was into hot tea before surgery so it's good to find something satisfying with next to no calories :)

my surgeon says caffeine is fine just no more than a few cups a day is best.

Thank you.

I am a huge tea drinker - iced, hot, with milk, without . . .

Tea was a great solution for me when I craved sweets. I don't know what brands you have available in Australia, especially since you're opposite-season to us. But right now we have seasonal options like salted caramel and caramel apple (both from Bigelow), pumpkin spice, chai, etc. They have no calories. I make them up with a little stevia and milk and they are delicious and satisfy that sweet craving. Also good, especially if you have stomach issues is peppermint tea, and chamomile helps you sleep.

Well I'm new to tea so a few I know of are black,green, peppermint, chai...

I'm also a huge tea person. I drink all types. Tea is personal. Go with what you enjoy but since you are a RNYer try for less caffeinated variety at first to protect your surgery.

To use Artificial sweeteners or not will also be a personal choice mainly on taste and tolerance. At home I use a stevia blend. In the wild, if I can't find it or didnt bring my own I use a little splenda.

Good Luck 💙

Edited by GreenTealael

14 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

Well I'm new to tea so a few I know of are black,green, peppermint, chai...

*Probably more info than you wanted but*

The basic teas variations are: black, ooglong, green, rooibos, white, herbal, and medicinal

Everything variation is flavored from those

1534571262_differenttypesofteatea101typesoftea.thumb.jpeg.bf3f01758b9887b36947f7c0f0d2c35a.jpeg

Edited by GreenTealael

if your surgeon doesn't allow caffeine for awhile (mine didn't the first few months), then go for an herbal. Otherwise, anything goes! Both green and black are healthy. It's a personal choice. I drink both!

Just throwing my 2 cents worth in.......... I also drink only tea now. When I want something a little sweeter, I use a tea that is more spicy with cinnamon. If you can stay off the artificial sweeteners, you will find that your taste buds will change. Bigelow's vanilla Chai are Celestial Seasoning's Bengal Spice are two of my favs. Artificial sweetener does you no favors. It messes with your stomach/brain communications which can cause you to eat more, can trigger insulin release in some situations, and can cause loose stools (the sugar alcohols). Repeated studies have shown that people use drink diet sodas actually gain more weight than those who drink regular soda. Using fruit and sweet spices like cinnamon can go a long way in satisfying the need for sweetness, but you have to give your taste buds a couple of weeks to make the transition.

Okay didn't know any of that..how or why do they sell that stuff so easily if it's so bad?

Don't know what is available where you are, but a personal favorite of mine is Stash brand Asian Pear Harmony green tea. They also have others that are pretty great.

I have so many teas that I bought this, a few times, to organize them- Love it!

Tea Organizer

71m6WAHCzUL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!
accidently put herbal instead of green tea :)

Wow, I love the stand idea!

I am using mint tea. Decaffeinated and doesn't need a sweetener.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Green and black teas are good like you've mentioned but I also know Chamomile, and ginger lemon are good too. There's not as much caffeine in those either.

I love tea ❤️

On 11/23/2019 at 9:04 AM, Superman84 said:

Okay didn't know any of that..how or why do they sell that stuff so easily if it's so bad?

Because its lower calorie and people should be allowed to choose what they eat? But in reality its likely that the creators of those artificial sweeteners didn't know it would do the same things that sugar does.