Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in March 2019 so I’m 8 months post op. The most I’ve lost is 65 lbs. I thought I would’ve lost more by now. I’ve been at the same weight for a couple of months but I need to lose to 15 more to get to my GW. I walk a few miles every day and I still meal prep/3 small meals and a snack per day; although I can definitely eat more. Thoughts? Advice?

Hi! Don't panic 💙

A lot of factors can contribute to this. Can you try giving more info (like starting weight/ BMI /current weight/ goal weight /age /gender / foods often eaten / drinks / etc.) so wonderful tips can come your way

Also really important to be patient with yourself because sometimes it takes a while for the final few lbs to go

Good Luck 💙

Edited by GreenTealael

Search the site for Intermittent Fasting. There are a LOT of people (including myself) who have been in exactly your place - the last 15 pounds won't budge. IF is a powerful tool that can change up your fat burning/fat storage mechanism, without even changing the number of daily calories. There have been many posts describing the variations of IF that can be used. IF can get those pounds off and give you a powerful tool to use any time you need it.

I had a mega stall... plus a blip in my eating habits. Back on track now and losing again. Just stick with it. The worst thing that any of us can do is give up what we are doing and think 'eff it I'll just eat'. That's how most of us got here. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come off. I'd say go back to basics... log food intake, weigh yourself, make yourself accountable. Tweak any bad habits you might have got in to (putting extra on your plate, having that extra starbucks, etc) and get back to how you should be eating. Our bodies definitely seem to have to recalibrate though and take pauses along the way. Don't lose hope!

I'm at 11 months and losing very slowly. I know I could do IF or Keto or workout more, but as long as I don't gain weight, I'm not really that concerned. I'm kind of looking at it like practice maintenance, which I know is very hard.

Stalls, even long ones, are pretty common, and as long as I'm tracking my food, drinking my Water, working out, and taking my Vitamins, I think I'm doing OK.

My doctor and my goal was 175 and I'm at 168. I do want to get to 150 but that's going to require a little more effort than I really feel like extending right now.

1 hour ago, JessLess said:

I'm at 11 months and losing very slowly. I know I could do IF or Keto or workout more, but as long as I don't gain weight, I'm not really that concerned. I'm kind of looking at it like practice maintenance, which I know is very hard.

Stalls, even long ones, are pretty common, and as long as I'm tracking my food, drinking my Water, working out, and taking my Vitamins, I think I'm doing OK.

My doctor and my goal was 175 and I'm at 168. I do want to get to 150 but that's going to require a little more effort than I really feel like extending right now.

I hear you. You are being very honest about where you are right now and what effort you are willing to expend at this time in your journey. I would like to gently prod, however, with a kindly intentioned reminder that you are still in the window of time where you can lose the most and lose it the easiest. After the first 12 -18 months, it is going to get harder. Your appetite will return and any restriction you may have now may well be gone. From everything I have read and heard, it is pretty crucial to make the very most of the first year, and then plan for some regain. Maybe you could get one more burst of enthusiasm during the next month or two and just get the rest off. Not telling you what to do, just offering some encouragement to persevere through the first year.

2 hours ago, JessLess said:

💙Congratulations on making it to goal and beyond💙

2 hours ago, froufrou said:

I had a mega stall... plus a blip in my eating habits. Back on track now and losing again. Just stick with it. The worst thing that any of us can do is give up what we are doing and think 'eff it I'll just eat'. That's how most of us got here. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come off. I'd say go back to basics... log food intake, weigh yourself, make yourself accountable. Tweak any bad habits you might have got in to (putting extra on your plate, having that extra starbucks, etc) and get back to how you should be eating. Our bodies definitely seem to have to recalibrate though and take pauses along the way. Don't lose hope!

💙Congratulations on find your way back💙

I hear you. You are being very honest about where you are right now and what effort you are willing to expend at this time in your journey. I would like to gently prod, however, with a kindly intentioned reminder that you are still in the window of time where you can lose the most and lose it the easiest. After the first 12 -18 months, it is going to get harder. Your appetite will return and any restriction you may have now may well be gone. From everything I have read and heard, it is pretty crucial to make the very most of the first year, and then plan for some regain. Maybe you could get one more burst of enthusiasm during the next month or two and just get the rest off. Not telling you what to do, just offering some encouragement to persevere through the first year.
You mentioned appetite will return. I've seen numerous people mention this too. Is this for sleeve only or gastric bypass too?

10 minutes ago, Dances with Carbs said:

You mentioned appetite will return. I've seen numerous people mention this too. Is this for sleeve only or gastric bypass too?

Seems to depend more on the person than on the type of WLS. Also one has to differentiate between "hunger" and "appetite".

I think what happens is that the body learns to adjust. The ghrelin hormone that gets short circuited with stomach removal (bypass and sleeve) seems to find a way to rewire to some degree. With bypass, the remaining small intestine learns how to absorb nutrients, The overall metabolism resets, and restriction is not as prohibitive. So unless new habits have been hardwired during the first year, it is way too easy to fall back into bad patterns.

You are not alone. Stalls happen all the time for everyone, it's just your body saying it needs a break. I hit a stall around my 9 month mark. Super frustrating. I went back to hardcore tracking every food I ate, making it a goal to hit 80grams of Protein a day and filling the rest in with veggies and fruit. I limited sugar for one month and that helped refocus my cravings. Overall I just had to be patient and keep doing what I was doing. My stall lasted for two months which was crazy frustrating, but once it broke I was right back on track with regular losses. It will happen, just stay true to your plan. :)

1 hour ago, Dances with Carbs said:

I would suggest assuming (despite surgery type) hunger/appetite/natural drive to eat will eventually return no matter what... so you wont be surprised when it does.

Oh, for the record, I’m at 13 months, just confused. LOL