Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss 8 weeks after VSG

Is 40 lbs 8 weeks after VSG good progress or do most people lose more by this stage in the game? I have rheumatoid arthritis and I'm having terrible issues with Constipation more than anything. I see my surgeon this Thurs and I'm worried he's going to think 40 lbs isn't enough. 😖😕

that is actually fantastic. I'd lost 26 lbs at that point.

That's great! I lost 15 pounds during the two week preop, and 38 pounds during the 8 weeks post op. You are doing fantastic!

You'll feel amazing about your progress if you don't compare yourself to everyone else. Easie said than done, but very important. We all go at different pace, just emprace it and Celebrate your achievement.

Your loss is well above average, great job! But I agree, comparing yourself to other people rarely makes people happy.

Nice - keep it up - But the guys have the advantage in this fatty removal proccess - We loose it faster

#guysmetooloosefaster

Enjoy the journet

Great work! A lot of how much you lose is dependent on what weight you started at and your presurgical diet. The Constipation is going to be a fact of life. With so little going in you'll have very little coming out. I find that eventually it all comes out.

16 hours ago, greatgretchen said:

Is 40 lbs 8 weeks after VSG good progress or do most people lose more by this stage in the game? I have rheumatoid arthritis and I'm having terrible issues with Constipation more than anything. I see my surgeon this Thurs and I'm worried he's going to think 40 lbs isn't enough. 😖😕

I am also worried that I am going to slow. I try not to compare myself to other people, but I am thinking they missed something in the surgrey and I'm eating to much?

First time doing any kind of forum on the computer so be patient with me. I'm scared I'm eating to much. When I went for my first check up I had lost 22 lbs in a month and she said it wasn't enough. They now have me on a 700-800 calorie diet. This isn't the weight loss doctor this is a doctor at the weight loss clinic. I had the band about 10 years ago, which they had to remove after a week because of infection, I so want this to work this time. Maybe the didn't make the sleeve tight enough? I also had a hernia operation, gallbladder, and they had to fix scar tissue from the lap band operation on the day I had my surgery.

49 minutes ago, ChattyKathie said:

First time doing any kind of forum on the computer so be patient with me. I'm scared I'm eating to much. When I went for my first check up I had lost 22 lbs in a month and she said it wasn't enough. They now have me on a 700-800 calorie diet. This isn't the weight loss doctor this is a doctor at the weight loss clinic. I had the band about 10 years ago, which they had to remove after a week because of infection, I so want this to work this time. Maybe the didn't make the sleeve tight enough? I also had a hernia operation, gallbladder, and they had to fix scar tissue from the lap band operation on the day I had my surgery.

Sounds like you had quite a big surgery. For them to say it isn't enough is ridiculous. Your body is healing. It scares me how calories driven it is in the US. Here in Austria we started normal food with restrictions after 4 days. Everything had to be chewed to mush, but it was food. And there was no counting calories, only counting Protein to make sure you got 60g. There was a lot of stuff that was forbidden for the first 6 weeks, but no liquid diet before or after surgery.

You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

I really do try not to equate it to others since every single person is really different. I don't get driven by the numbers but more so now my clothes feel and since I had smaller stuff I had outgrown, I really have not had to buy anything yet which does make me feel like I haven't really lost that much weight (which is totally a weird way of thinking about it I know)

I actually weighed this morning since I haven't weighed in several weeks and the scale said I'm down 50.2 lbs but I think 45 is probably more realistic for some reason.

I still can't eat much when I eat - maybe a bite or two definitely not able to eat 4oz of stuff at one time but it's been hard to realize where the stopping point is before you eat that one bite that was too much. My husband had roux en y back in 2008 and he tells me all the time that I should be to where I know stuff like that but I'm still trying to find the limit or get where I chew my food to mush or don't get too big of a swallow of Water at one point. It makes me feel bad feeling him that I'm still trying to figure out stuff like that since I really should probably know that stuff by 8 weeks after surgery.

Oh well....just venting and chit chatting....thank you for the replies so far. I am just scared to death that even if I think I'm doing well that it won't be enough for my surgeon and he will have a freak out. 😬

deleted

Edited by catwoman7

1 hour ago, ChattyKathie said:

that person is crazy. Especially crazy since she works at a weight loss clinic and should know better. Is she brand new there or....??? I've been hanging around this and other boards for several years now. I also talk to pre-op classes every month, because I'm one of my clinic's model patients. Just based on reading and listening and working with a ton of people all that time, I'd say the average amount of weight loss for the first month is somewhere in the 15-25 lb range. Of course there are outliers (people who lose more or less than that) - and there are of course "My 600 lb Life" contestants who are NOT representative of the average weight loss patient by the way, but I'd say for the majority of us, we fit somewhere in that range. And you ARE in that range. That woman is out of her freaking mind.

P.S. the 700-800 calorie a day part of that is OK. A lot of us eat around that much the first few months. It's her comment about your weight loss that baffles me. She should know better!

Edited by catwoman7

I was worried when I went to my appointment as well. They told me I was right on track. I am 53, have psoriatic arthritis so the weight loss is a huge help. Anyways, as the surgeon reminded me to not take advice from these sites as everyone is different and you weight loss is determined by so many factors especially starting weight. At my current weight 168 he said I should lose about 4 lbs a month. Although, I have indulged in a glass or two of wine which would have helped my progress more lol. Anyways, you are doing wonderful and my surgeon says you have a year for it to really come off. Then it slows down. Good luck to you and keep doing what you are doing.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, greatgretchen said:

OMG thats amazingly fast.