Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motivation after the first year

Hi All,

i just hit one year post op and Iv lost 140lbs but Iv been lacking motivation for about 4 months now and haven’t lost any weight. My recovery post op was a struggle with gout but I’m doing better then ever. However, I’m struggling to eat right and wanting to lose the rest of the weight. Any advice on how you stay motivated to continue this journey?

I refuse to go back to where I was. I feel 100% better.

That is my motivation.

Just think back do you really want to go back? You busted your ass to get where you are now clear your head and move forward,

I agree with Cheesburgh Not a chance in hell i am getting unhealthy and mentally F#$cked up again

You got this find a goal and do it

Yeah, it's the sophomore slump. And you have a choice: either go back and regain or never get to goal OR mix things up. Change up your routine, add another element, refocus. Add something that feels fresh and new, challenging.

When I hit that time, it was easy to slip back into life again. And life isn't exactly conducive to living a healthy post op WL journey. So I added IF and TRE to the mix and lost the rest of my weight over the next few months. I'm now in maintenance and allow myself to have cheat weekends then back on plan during the week with healthy healthy eating. It works.

You have a lifetime of living life. Seize your motivation again...and get this little bi*ch done. Ok? You can do it. You have to remember your WHY!!!!

Congrats on your weight loss so far!!!

11 hours ago, Bypass2018 said:

Hi All,

i just hit one year post op and Iv lost 140lbs but Iv been lacking motivation for about 4 months now and haven’t lost any weight. My recovery post op was a struggle with gout but I’m doing better then ever. However, I’m struggling to eat right and wanting to lose the rest of the weight. Any advice on how you stay motivated to continue this journey?

It helps me to set some goals that require consistent exercise. Like paying money and registering for an athletic event, even it is walking a 5K.

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

It helps me to set some goals that require consistent exercise. Like paying money and registering for an athletic event, even it is walking a 5K.

I never thought of training towards a goal. I have never been super athletic except when I was paired with a football player in the weight room in high-school. He had be leg pressing 380 pounds and my thighs were very muscular. Azhiker, I think this a game changer for me, thanks for sharing the idea!

10 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

I never thought of training towards a goal. I have never been super athletic except when I was paired with a football player in the weight room in high-school. He had be leg pressing 380 pounds and my thighs were very muscular. Azhiker, I think this a game changer for me, thanks for sharing the idea!

I had NEVER "competed" in athletic events as an adult until after WLS. Yes, I was walking a lot and hiking, but I had not actually swum laps or ridden a bike in decades. Then a friend talked me into a sprint triathlon (swim 400 m, bike 14,2 miles, run/walk 5K). I thought, "I can do that now, " so I registered. I got a bike that suited me and started swimming. Oh my goodness, it was hard. I discovered my old shoulder injuries prevented me from a freestyle stroke, so I did my best with breast stroke. My ortho forbids me to run on my knee replacement, so I walk fast. It was a lot of work, but the fact that I had committed to someone and had registered, made me stick with it. When I finished, and got my participation medal, I was in tears - it was such a milestone moment. I have committed to another one in March - same distances, but now I have a lot more baseline training under my belt and I am working to perfect my breast stroke, learn to speed walk, and am working on my biking efficiency. I only want to better my own time - not beat anyone else, like that is even possible! I also am registered for the 50 mile bike race/ride in 10 days. Again, I might have given up if I had not already paid and made the commitment - and... I want another participation medal!

So I think those paying registrations (especially if they go to a worthy cause) help to keep me on track with regular training. It would me so easy to skip a riding day, but I can't do that with a 50 mile event coming up.

I also want to hike the 830 mile AZ trail, and have several friends who also want to do that . So we are marking our calendars for which segments we will do first. Next October we have committed to 2 northern segments that include the Grand Canyon - down and up in one day. (No medal, but I will definitely buy an "I did it" T-shirt! So I will need to get in a lot of hiking miles before that really BIG event! No room for failure - failure means a very expensive evacuation! Again, it is about built in accountability - making a commitment and having fun with people you know,

You are inspiring! I don't know if I could do what you have done, but I am going to give it my best. I also think I am in line for at least one knee replacement! Thank-you!

On 11/11/2019 at 9:36 PM, Bypass2018 said:

Hi All,

I totally struggled around the same time in my journey. I knew I needed to start getting serious about exercise if I wanted to get more weight off. I got myself an apple watch and started activity sharing with my friends and chasing after the built in "awards". Well, i'm now down 180 lbs. and I attribute the last 50 or so to getting my ass to the gym and competing with my friends.