Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four weeks post op RNY

When I had surgery on October 10 I weighed in at 235. I’m now four weeks post op and my weight is 218. I was under the assumption that I would lose more/faster by having RNY over VSG.. is my weight loss ‘normal’.. should I be losing faster? This weekend im allowed to start move from basic walking to real exercise.. I’m hoping that will help.

There's numerous factors on how people lose weight.... Plus you need to get lots of Protein and Water From day 1.. You need to watch your intake of bad foods..

You are losing just fine. Stick with your plan and don't compare yourself to others. Sometimes the fast losers like to talk about their "success," which can make others feel like they are doing something wrong. That is absolutely not true. Everyone's rate of loss is different. You could have 2 people of the same age, gender, starting weight, exercise and diet plan, and they would still lose differently. I am starting to think that perhaps fast losers may have more issues with malabsorption in the long run, which is not good. You have lost 24 pounds and that is great! Keep up the good work!

I think you are losing just fine. I had surgery on October 1 and weighed 285 that day. Today I'm 266.....for two weeks I stayed at 270...stall already......So..I've only lost 19 lbs. It's slow compared to others but still happy to be slowly losing. I do wonder why i did this to myself sometimes. I thought with RNY you were supposed to lose faster.

with a starting weight of 235 lbs, you're what we call a "lightweight". You're not going to lose as fast as someone who starts off at 300+ lbs. You are doing just fine.

as some other posters have said, never compare yourself to others - there are too many factors that affect your rate of weight loss. But just to make you feel better, I started off at over 300 lbs and "just" lost 16 lbs the first month. I thought I'd failed WLS, but I ended up losing 100% of my excess weight. Just stick to your surgeon's plan and the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow.

13 hours ago, CaitMarc917 said:

When I had surgery on October 10 I weighed in at 235. I’m now four weeks post op and my weight is 218. I was under the assumption that I would lose more/faster by having RNY over VSG.. is my weight loss ‘normal’.. should I be losing faster? This weekend im allowed to start move from basic walking to real exercise.. I’m hoping that will help.

Rt that was the same thing I’m wondering I had the revision from sleeve to rny because of severe gerd

Thank you everyone! I do tend to compare myself to others and have been asked by several people if I’ve lost weight, which makes me feel like nobody can even see a difference yet. It just hurts and I was feeling like a failure.. but you’re all right and thank you for helping me to realize that!

13 hours ago, CaitMarc917 said:

I had RNY and my weight loss was almost exactly the same as yours (about 17 lbs), but my SW the day of surgery was higher (286.6). It will continue to come off... hang in there, and keep doing what you're doing!

Edited by Caltania

I had RNY 10/11 surgery weight 211 and I'm 190 now. So about the same as you. I figure the slower it comes off the better chance of keeping off. I'm also hoping it will mean less saggy skin.

Keep following the plan. You're doing great!

Think of it this way - over 21 days, you lost 17 pounds. That's almost one pound per day! On a conventional safe diet, you lose 1-2 pounds per WEEK, and you're hungry and crabby. So you're doing great.

You are doing great! This is my 6th week and I have only lost 19 lbs. I started at pre op at 203. I was losing fine until I hit the purée stage. Keep up the great work!

I had the RNY, Gallbladder Removal, and Hiatal Hernia Repair. When I went in for my 6 week appointment, after I was weighed, the person who weighed me seriously said “No Judgement.” I thought, WTH did that mean? I went home and googled weight loss RNY and it varied. However, someone had a chart that said 200-250 25 lbs is the norm for weight loss @ 6 weeks. Whether it’s true or not, it’s a struggle for me just to get my Water & Protein in each day, so I am ok with it.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:42 AM, LastChance57 said:

I had the RNY, Gallbladder Removal, and Hiatal Hernia Repair. When I went in for my 6 week appointment, after I was weighed, the person who weighed me seriously said “No Judgement.” I thought, WTH did that mean? I went home and googled weight loss RNY and it varied. However, someone had a chart that said 200-250 25 lbs is the norm for weight loss @ 6 weeks. Whether it’s true or not, it’s a struggle for me just to get my Water & Protein in each day, so I am ok with it.

Wow, that's really a bit of an insensitive thing for that person to have said! Every person is going to lose weight differently, and sometimes for reasons out of their control... I'm just glad you are doing so well, keep it up! It will get easier to meet those intake goals before you know it!