Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Know-It-Alls"......bug me to no end

I've said it before: If you don't care for what a particular poster has to say, or the way they say things-don't read their posts. It really is just that easy.

No doubt, it benefits the board to have different types of mentors available to newer members. The "Know it Alls" :lol: aren't the only resources available. What works for me won't work for you and what works for you won't work for Jane Bandster. Look at how many different support groups there are, not just the unnamed "Know-it-Alls".

But here's what I'm looking at: the people with good success rates are who I want to listen to. I don't really take "personality" into account. I've lurked, and searched, and seen lots of commentary on the whole "why do docs say most people only lose 58% of their weight" thing, and since that is the statistical truth, it makes what a few members have done all the more amazing. I want my advice from the 100%ers.

IMHO there are some frequent posters who virtually do "know it all" because of their own research. experience, and medical background. I'll name names--WASa, Wendell Edwards, FaithMD--and others that put a lot of time and effort into helping newbies avoid mistakes that would compromise their bands.

It seems as though programs are shortchanging their patients by not informing them adequately . While my program did instruct us well about the rules, it did not tell us the gravity or consequences of not adhering to them 100%. That I learned from the posters named above, and I am so grateful to them.

The "know-it-alls" are performing a valuable service despite being recently bashed and trashed for it. I think that they have been infinitely patient with the new and curious. They will never know, for example, how many slipped bands they have prevented with their "tough love" about following the post-op diet.

IMHO there are some frequent posters who virtually do "know it all" because of their own research. experience, and medical background. I'll name names--WASa, Wendell Edwards, FaithMD--and others that put a lot of time and effort into helping newbies avoid mistakes that would compromise their bands.

It seems as though programs are shortchanging their patients by not informing them adequately . While my program did instruct us well about the rules, it did not tell us the gravity or consequences of not adhering to them 100%. That I learned from the posters named above, and I am so grateful to them.

The "know-it-alls" are performing a valuable service despite being recently bashed and trashed for it. I think that they have been infinitely patient with the new and curious. They will never know, for example, how many slipped bands they have prevented with their "tough love" about following the post-op diet.

Serena makes an excellent point. :clap2:

I totally agree with this. While I am not a stupid person, I have asked "stupid newbie" questions here because I wasn't informed on certain points. Thank God I found the answers here before I really screwed up my band. :kiss2:

I totally agree with this. While I am not a stupid person, I have asked "stupid newbie" questions here because I wasn't informed on certain points. Thank God I found the answers here before I really screwed up my band. :kiss2:

So did I. When I first joined LBT I did ask all sorts of "stupid newbie" questions including the one about the meanings of PB and NSV. I also wanted to talk about my Hair loss and I posted a new thread about this.

The reason why I like to be very respectful of newbie questions is that I tend to be kind of blonde/analog when it comes to navigating the internet and websites. This is why I have found myself taking the middle - the bland - road when it has come to the recent and bitter newbies/old guys debates which have been taking place on a few other threads. The truth is that there are a number of experienced oldtimers on this site who have acquired a wealth of knowledge on band issues and who have chosen to remain on site in order to answer questions and, generally speaking, give help. It is also true that sometimes some of these folks can sound kind of snarky and impatient, a response which is invariably disturbing to a sensitive and recently hatched bandster.

Of course what the oldtimer is responding to is the fact that this question, though a new one to the newbie, has been asked a billion times before and that there is a FAQ section on this site. There is also a research issue option. You want to know about hair loss or acid reflux? Well, you can type in these topics and the research engine will call up all threads which deal with these issues.

But that blonde, analog Green didn't know any of this stuff when she first joined LBT. And so I posed all those same old questions but I was lucky: people gave me the answers without any attitude. This is why I try to keep my posts attitude-free. At the same time I feel that it is important that folks understand that there are many experienced folks here on this site and if attitude is sometimes given, well, take the advice, ignore the attitude, and understand that the attitude comes only from frustration, not from a lack of interest or caring. Lindata has the right attitude, IMHO. :D

It seems to me that people are intentionally reading into the tone of posts in the way that annoys them the most. That's what threads like this say to me, anyway.

If someone posts their experience, that's all it is. I don't think anyone on THIS site is saying that what they've experienced is the only think anyone could possibly experience. If someone posts something, and it's different than what you experienced, just say so. But don't assume that they are calling you a liar, or trying to say they know everything.

And I also second Serena's post.

okay....my first newbie stupid question....I'm so excited!

What exactly is PB and NSV because I've always thought it might be Post Barfing and Never Stop Vomiting. Am I right?

I can't wait to know it all. I'm serious!

Why does this thread have to become another thread filled with sarcastic comments? Can anyone just talk anymore without responses being filled with snide comments and sarcasm? The OP said that she needed to get that off her chest and she has done that. She did it in the appropriate spot. Nothing wrong with that.